Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #1
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Letter

Another stupid law suit. Barber shops sale hair all the time to wig makers what is the problem, often times if you ask at the time of the cut they may buy it from you. Good old Neil didn't think of selling his hair first, and how this has anything to do with the Ohio law designed to protect the rights of famous people I have no idea. Do famous people have more rights than normal citizens, if he sold my hair for $3000 would I be able to sue, which I wouldn't because good on him for being able to profit from something useless. Hay Neil instead of suing why don't you sell your toe nail clippings and give the barber a cut of the profit for giving you the idea. This is another case of the law says I can sue so I will not because Neil was actually harmed by it, if anything it has given the old fossil some needed publicity.

CINCINNATI (AP) - Apollo moon mission astronaut Neil Armstrong has threatened to sue a barbershop owner who collected Armstrong's hair after a trim and sold it for $3,000 US.

more...

[ 06-01-2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:45 PM   #2
Charlie
Lord Ao

Only in America could this happen.....

If his hair was returned to him would he sell it...auction it on Ebay mayhaps? DEAD HAIR for SALE!
Has he collected all his milk teeth since childhood? God forbid he ever has a tumour.

What a tight arsed bastard, I'm not sure you could drive an oily nail up this mans arse with a two pound hammer.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
mad=dog

Also who the *beeep* would buy it? I mean how on earth would you authenticate it? If someone finds out who then please send me the e-mail. I have some of Tom Cruise's hair for sale. It looks a bit like my own, but don't you worry about that. As long as there's 3 grand on my account it'll be in the mail.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:41 PM   #4
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
Good old Neil didn't think of selling his hair first, and how this has anything to do with the Ohio law designed to protect the rights of famous people I have no idea.
Ohio law basically says that the right of publicity is a property right. This means that if someones name (among other things) has a commercial value then you can't use it for a comercial purpose.

Quote:
Do famous people have more rights than normal citizens, if he sold my hair for $3000 would I be able to sue, which I wouldn't because good on him for being able to profit from something useless.
If he sold it as "This hair belongs to [insert your name here]", and someone paid more because of that, then you would be able to sue him. If he sold it as "This is just some random hair" then you wouldn't be able to sue.

Quote:
Hay Neil instead of suing why don't you sell your toe nail clippings and give the barber a cut of the profit for giving you the idea. This is another case of the law says I can sue so I will not because Neil was actually harmed by it, if anything it has given the old fossil some needed publicity.
Did it ever occur to you that he might not want publicity? Neil has generally avoided the media spotlight.

[ 06-01-2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Seraph ]
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
Did it ever occur to you that he might not want publicity? Neil has generally avoided the media spotlight.
I did until he filed a law suit. If you don't want publicity don't file a law suit.

The law itself is kind of dumb because just how is a judge suppose to judge popularity. How many screaming fan girls he has. The guy may be an American Hero but I personally don't consider the man popular. Being the first to walk on the moon is cool but it is the event that stands out not the man. Lets face it people will remember his name associated with the event but I doubt many people will recognize him on the street today. Hell I thought the photo of the barber could have been Neil.

[ 06-01-2005, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:43 PM   #6
Seraph
Quintesson

Quote:
The law itself is kind of dumb because just how is a judge suppose to judge popularity.
Did you read the rest of my post? All that needs to be determined is if Neil Armstrong's name had an effect on the selling price of the hair. If it did, then his name was used in a way that was illegal under the law.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/b...m?ID=123_SB_54
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 06:33 AM   #7
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Thanks for the info, Seraph. While the barber may have technically broken Ohio law, I have to agree with Pritchke that it is extremely petty for Neil Armstrong to sue him for selling his hair.

Since Neil had no use for the discarded hair and - presumably - had never wondered what happened to the hair that was cut off before this incident, I honostly fail to see how he has been harmed by this incident. So what if the barber managed to make some extra money selling some of his hair to a collector? Was Neil's reputation really damaged that badly? Barber's don't make a huge amount of money anyway and - as pointed out in the opening post - selling the hair they cut for wigs is a common practice to supplement their incomes. Is Neil really so pissed that his barber made an extra $3,000 of his hair instead of throwing it in the trash can? Sorry, but it still just sounds very petty to me. And it also is ridiculous for Armstrong's lawyer to demand that the barber donate the money to charity AND pay Armstrong's legal fees. I don't know what Armstrong's financial situation is, but I'm sure he made good money with NASA and is receiving a good retirement. And I'm also sure Neil can demand more than $3,000 for any speaking engagement he does (if he really wants to see that sum donated to charity).

The other point about this is that - in our litigation-crazy society - this incident could conceivably force barbers with famous clients to start signing disclaimers certifying that they will NOT sell, disburse or dispose of the hair from famous clients in a manner to bring extra profit to the barber without first receiving said clients express written approval.

I just don't see what is so damaging about the barber selling hair that was going to be discarded anyway. And $3,000 isn't a huge amount of money (relatively speaking). I'm sure it was a nice bonus for the barber, but it certainly wasn't an outrageous sum of money.

Hmmmm...maybe that's what Neil is so upset about, that his hair wasn't worth as much as hair from other celebrities.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 AM   #8
a_decent_1
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Only in America could this happen.....

If his hair was returned to him would he sell it...auction it on Ebay mayhaps? DEAD HAIR for SALE!
Has he collected all his milk teeth since childhood? God forbid he ever has a tumour.

What a tight arsed bastard, I'm not sure you could drive an oily nail up this mans arse with a two pound hammer.
Man,

Don't u think it could have been a little decent?
a_decent_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:38 AM   #9
Charlie
Lord Ao

Girl,

Don't u think u cld have contributed an opinion on teh actual subject matter, don't wrry bout your post count l33t dude...kthx.

P.S. The letters "Y" and "O" really aren't hard to type for the word "YOU".
I personally disregard pretty much everything written by someone who can't be arsed to even attempt to speak/write properly. If you'd like the post broken down into childish language, please feel free to ask....I'll happily accomodate.
[img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/england1.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />One Love, Peace. [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/pissr.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/piss.gif\" alt=\" - \" />
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:06 AM   #10
a_decent_1
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Girl,

Don't u think u cld have contributed an opinion on teh actual subject matter, don't wrry bout your post count l33t dude...kthx.

P.S. The letters "Y" and "O" really aren't hard to type for the word "YOU".
I personally disregard pretty much everything written by someone who can't be arsed to even attempt to speak/write properly. If you'd like the post broken down into childish language, please feel free to ask....I'll happily accomodate.
Sorry for 'YOU' brother,

You could see a mistake in the letter 'u' ... What about the improvemnt i have shown in the other words "Could" , "have" , "little" ???????? I used to write CLD , HAV , LIL before. Ain't i improving mate?

I would appreciate people who "WHEN TAUNT YOU FOR A MISTAKE,ALSO GIVE YOU CREDIT FOR WHAT YOU HAVE IMPROVED"

FAIR Enough?
a_decent_1 is offline   Reply With Quote