Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2002, 09:44 AM   #1
Wolven
Dungeon Master

I just got the game, AMAZING, and I have always liked a character who can fight well, but can also cast a fireball or two into a crowd of monsters. So I thought of making a barbarian/mage. I had started with a mage/thief, but his hitpoints would be low (1d6 for thief and 1d4 for mage, 1d5 average) and lower weapon use and damage (although you get the thief skills which is good), then I thought of a a fighter/mage, but the good thing about the fighter is that he can wear armor (which increases de spell failure %, so not that good) Finally, I decided for a barbaria/sorceror, barbarians dont use armor (like the sorceror) and gets a 1d12 hp (1d8 average)which is a lot better, get good weapon proficiencies and the extra skills like rage. Anyway let me know what you think.
Old 07-16-2002, 09:48 AM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Cant dual to a Sorcerer. If you want to be a Sorcerer, it has to be a Sorcerer alone.
But a Barbarian/Mage sounds fun. Probably worth trying. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 10:15 AM   #3
Wolven
Dungeon Master

Why can´t you dual to a sorceror? I thought you could dual to any class as long as there were no class conflicts (like alignment conflicts) I undestand you can even dual to Monk, this sucks, I had my charisma aised in preparation and left my int pretty low, man this sucks, anyway, thanks for the info, I´m still pretty early in the game so I can start over.
Old 07-16-2002, 10:54 AM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Exxon:
Cant dual to a Sorcerer. If you want to be a Sorcerer, it has to be a Sorcerer alone.
But a Barbarian/Mage sounds fun. Probably worth trying. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Yes you can. Nothing is not allowed in 3rd Ed. [img]smile.gif[/img]

It makes sense from a roleplaying point of view (the shamanlike barbarian outcast from his tribe for his strange witchlike powers but from a game point of view it's difficult, since barbarians need dexterity, strength and intelligence (the only way you can take advantage of high skill points) while the sorcerer will need a high charisma to maximize spellcasting. You might get it to work if you sacrifice a couple of other attributes such as wisdom or constitution.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2002, 11:19 AM   #5
The Merciful
The Magister

I'm myself thinking of barbarian/cleric - could figh, could cast spells and could wear all armors.
Old 07-16-2002, 11:40 AM   #6
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

I like it, especially if you intend it to MOSTLY a sorcerer with a barbaric side. The rage and weapon proficiencies are like free feats, plus triple hit points for the Barbarian levels- a much needed boost to ensure survival in tough encounters. I would keep the strength just above average and put most of my points in DEX and Charisma. Barbarians get the best skill allocations next to the rogue anyway. Maybe:
Str 12
Dex 14
Con 14
Int 10
Wis 8
Cha 16
Two levels of Barbarian ould still let you get to 9th level spells, and you could take four levels (get an extra rage) and still get 8th level spells, plus a lot more HP.

Sounds like a fun one!
Old 07-16-2002, 04:23 PM   #7
AndyG
Elminster

Why not just play a cleric? They get all armor skills, access to all weapons, can cast good spells, and choose two bonus areas, which can add a number of mage spells. They can cast in full armor with no penalty. Plus, they kick butt against undead.
AndyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2002, 10:14 PM   #8
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

My first game I played with a Barbarian/Sorcerer... he kicked arse! ... He ended up as a level 6 Barbarian 14 Sorcerer... that meant he could cast all the good F/M spells I loved in BG2 Pity that he got some bad hit points... they never got as high as my newest chars got [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote