Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2003, 09:01 AM   #11
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

If there's a FLGS (Friendly Local Gaming Store, aka Wierd Pete's for those who read knights of the dinner table) you should support them, alot of gaming stores have to sell their wares on Ebay just to get merchandise to move, if the nearest one is dead as far as people, and bulletin boards (unless it's a book retailer like barnes and nobles) business is probably slowing down for the guy, try suggesting a bulletin board, it might attract people to come in and look for gamers, and everyone knows gamers can't resist buying at least one pack of dice if they see the shinies.

just make the point that it could draw people in to hang around longer, which would entice them to spend money, if he doesn't have room to game in the store then he's missing out on alot of revenue (selling snacks, people who watch a game and get interested and then buy said game)

the other option is to let your fingers do the walking and find other game stores in the phone book and check them out.

{edit} cute kids stormy, and I know what you mean about dice, I've got a crown royal bag full of my good ones, and then a jar of duds I let newbies use{/edit}

[ 10-16-2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: Morgeruat ]
Old 10-16-2003, 09:07 AM   #12
dplax
Jack Burton

I also use a lot of dice for the trading card game I play, and some of the older ones are getting really beat up. BTW staying on topic I only payed PnP D&D only twice at my brothers house, but I found it was quite fun.

Old 10-16-2003, 01:33 PM   #13
Maelakin
Drow Warrior

You can try looking into WebRPG.com for your gaming needs. It is a freeware java-based program that allows you to play PnP style roleplaying games online, with the added ability of being able to incorporate visual aids. Dice rollers and the like are all included.

There is also a server you can connect to that allows you to find games at almost anytime of day and it is actually quite easy to become part of an on-going campaign.

The site also includes downloadable tools for your use in addition to a players database to give you an easier time locating a gaming group (both online and offline).
Old 10-16-2003, 03:05 PM   #14
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Anyone in the Chicago area who'd like to get a group together, please PM me!!! I've been looking for a while now.

Sorry, /)eathkiller, I like face-to-face PnP. I also like to schedule blocks of time for D&D, lest it interfere with my busy days -- of posting on IWF. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2003, 04:39 PM   #15
cav_again
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Maelakin:
You can try looking into WebRPG.com for your gaming needs. It is a freeware java-based program that allows you to play PnP style roleplaying games online, with the added ability of being able to incorporate visual aids. Dice rollers and the like are all included.

There is also a server you can connect to that allows you to find games at almost anytime of day and it is actually quite easy to become part of an on-going campaign.

The site also includes downloadable tools for your use in addition to a players database to give you an easier time locating a gaming group (both online and offline).
Ichecked out this site, and it looked promising, but I downloaded all the stuff I need (I think) and it's too complicated, nothing seems to do anything or work right, and I'd really like to play here. I'm not getting any help from the people at the site, so, maybe you're experienced with this site?

thanks
Old 10-16-2003, 04:49 PM   #16
Maelakin
Drow Warrior

Sure, I can probably help you out.

As you noticed, getting set-up for the first time can be a daunting project. Here are some steps to follow to get yourself up and running.

First, you need to download and install the Java-Runtime scripts.

After those are installed, download and install the latest program version. Once completed check to see if the latest version needs to be patched at all.

Once this is complete, you need to reboot your computer. The program won't work unless you do.

You should now have the WebRPG on your computer and in your program files, just find it and open it while connected to the internet. Just so you know, it is a VERY memory intensive program and does sometimes take awhile to load. Once you have the program up pick a user name and login. You will then connect to the main gaming server which contains multiple chat rooms for you to enter. These chat rooms are the actual gaming rooms.

You will want to go over the read-me to learn how to use the program. At the very least, become familiar with using the dice rollers, emotes, and whisper functions. Also, learn how to join/host a game/room.

The last thing you actually need is to learn to use the objects. There is a folder that the read me will direct you to. You will be able to create objects in this library (The program has a builder for you to use) like character sheets and maps for online use. You can set them so everyone can view them, only you and the DM can, or everyone can. Very useful tool.

Last, once you get the program up and running, you can create a gaming room to practice commands. I recommend doing so and playing for 30-45 mintues or until you are confortable.

I'm at work right now so I can load it up and give you better details, however, once I get home tonight if needed I can work on a better write up to help you out.

Good luck and maybe I'll see you on there!! (Look for the same user name as I have here).
Old 10-16-2003, 04:54 PM   #17
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
Ehem. . . *cough* *cough*
As Dk so clearly pointed out - have you tried online PnPing? Its not the same as face to face pnping, but it can still be quite fun. Have you considered that at all? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2003, 07:53 PM   #18
Boutte
The Magister

Good luck. PnP is the the way to go. I haven't played in more than 20 and can still quote all the stats on my character. It's a acompletely different experience to sit at a table with a group of friends and roll dice, argue with the DM and interact with your people face to face. I suggest learning how to DM the game because a good DM is the most important part of the game.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:09 PM   #19
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Calaethis Dragonsbane:
quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
Ehem. . . *cough* *cough*
As Dk so clearly pointed out - have you tried online PnPing? Its not the same as face to face pnping, but it can still be quite fun. Have you considered that at all? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Yea, but have you considered people could actually lie about their dice rolls? [img]tongue.gif[/img]

I love PnP D&D, and I've been loving it for over 6 years. Though school has taken up much of my time, I still plan to get back together with my uncle and start playing again. We both have considered playing with other people, and we have (my brother, a couple of others), and we're just fine with the way everything is. I would like to play with other people, but it's hard to find really hardcore D&D players, the ones we played with did stupid crap that kind of ruined the whole D&D scenario.

Go forth, find them, and give me a call

[ 10-17-2003, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Gangrell ]
Old 10-17-2003, 09:37 PM   #20
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I've started PnP roleplaying, and it's definitely more enjoyable than online roleplaying [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] The interaction, especially wisecracks, are spontaneous and you tend to be more creative as a group.

In my current group, we have 2 games going and we play each on alternate fortnights. One of us knows the rules at the back of his head and even pointed out the DM's errors on a few occasions. That's partly why I hesitate to DM a game for now; there's just so much to absorb and remember [img]smile.gif[/img]