Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 05:21 PM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

Mnyes, what about it?

I've heard that jogging is likely to cause joint problems due to high impacts against the ground. So, my question is, would jogging for 5 km per day too much for a 16 year old person?

Also, is it useful to have a certain breathing pattern? I read from a source that 2 breath-ins and 1 out should be good. Or something. Does it matter?

Thanks in advance.
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 05:52 PM   #2
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Firstly, no that is not too much, many 16 year olds jog that and more a day, and it does no harm to them. Too much reading methinks

Secondly, (relating to the breathing pattern) I find that once you start jogging you get set into your own breathing pattern; basically whatever's right for you. You should try and keep your breathing as deep as you can for aslong as possible, as once you get into shallower breathing you start to get more tired. That's what I think anyway, and I'm generally not bad at long distance running.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

As a former cross country runner & current (bad) triathlete:

I'm a huge fan of running on turf (or dirt ... anything that's not concrete). It's a better workout for the ankles & shins anyway, and wards off most joint problems. All I ever do, if I can help it.

For breathing: An old coach of mine always had us measure our breaths based on something we were doing, i.e. runners breathe based on foot count, swimmers on stroke count, bikers on pedal count. I tend to start breathing in for four steps, out for three, reducing steps as the heart gets going.

Maximum for me is in two steps, out two steps. If you find you need more air -- like near a finish line -- in two, out one is OK, but any less starts to throw my rhythm off.
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Jogging is the best way to burn fat and stay healthy, both in body weight and in cardiovascular.

Wear the proper track shoes however. I now have a bone spur because I had on cheap-ass shoes just one day and now I cannot jog anymore.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:38 AM   #5
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

First of all, I can give you first hand experience on this because I ran cross country through all of high school, so don't just disregard my advice .

5k (3.1 miles) is not much at all. In fact, that might be too low. At 16, I would run up to 8/9 miles a day, although I wouldn't do this every day since this isn't exactly the healthiest thing. Some argue that you can run heavy distances without injuring yourself as long as you have proper form. I think this is a pretty stupid comment since they suggest that you can do 150 miles a week without suffering injuries. I don't think I ever did more than 80-90 miles in a week, and that would be at the peak of my workout time. Generally, I would mix in interval workouts once a week during the offseason (they are more speed-based instead of distance based); each week, you do more distance (such as going from 4 400 meter runs to 6 400 meter runs) with the same amount of rest between each 400. After you build it high enough (10-12 400s), you start again at your starting number and do it with less break between each set.
Proper form can be attained from running barefoot. Yes, that's right; running barefoot. Your foot was designed to make direct contact with the ground. With shoes on, your feet don't make contact with the ground. Because of this, people often 'crash the ground' when they run, which makes them more succeptible to injures (stress fractures are common, I had 2 at the same time. From then on, I trained barefoot and I haven't had any injuries ever since). When you run barefoot, you run more lightly instinctively, which helps you out. You can't run barefoot just anywhere nowadays; a clean field is a good idea. Even a track with a soft surface can be used, although I prefer to run barefoot on the dirt and grass instead. Avoid concrete, although run with shoes on if you run on concrete (to avoid glass, rocks, etc). Nike released a pair of shoes that they claim makes you feel as if you're training barefoot; good idea, but it doesn't beat running barefoot. Give it a try if you want.
Seriously, don't worry about breathing. Just breathe in through your mouth and out through your mouth. A small number of people suggest breathing in and out only through your nose since this keeps a balance of CO2 and O2 in your body and all this scientific stuff about aerobic vs anaerobic respiration. I think it's stupid to breathe only through your nose...I've tried it and I just couldn't get enough oxygen. I can do it when I'm running on just a flat surface for a little while, but once you hit the hills, it's damn near impossible to breathe just through your nose. You generally tend to breathe in rhythym with your steps sort of, but honestly, I don't think you should get technical about it.
I hope that helps somewhat. BTW, are you just training on your own or are you training for a cross country team or something?

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #6
aleph_null1
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord:
You generally tend to breathe in rhythym with your steps sort of, but honestly, I don't think you should get technical about it.
I'm a scientist; I get technical about everything [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

But as a coach I've found breathing to be the biggest problem with amateur runners -- little kids get it just fine, but by the time they hit 21 they think hyperventilating is normal ...

Excellent advice about running barefoot, Lord. I love beach running, if you can find a clean one; it's also an excellent ankle workout.
aleph_null1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 AM   #7
uss
20th Level Warrior

Thanks for the insight, everyone. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lord, or should I say oh Lord, 8-9 miles a day!? My record length, which I've run up to 5 times, is 9 kilometres to compare.

The 400s series sounds like a good idea. About how long should I rest after every 400 m?

I occasionally play football barefoot in the local beach.

I'm training for myself, the main goal is to have enough physical endurance to be able to get through the next school year, which is going to be radically different from the last nine ones. [img]graemlins/imtough.gif[/img]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Jogging is the best way to burn fat and stay healthy, both in body weight and in cardiovascular.

Wear the proper track shoes however. I now have a bone spur because I had on cheap-ass shoes just one day and now I cannot jog anymore.
Jogging is hardly the best way to burn fat and stay healthy. The best way to burn fat and stay healthy is to get enough exercise (that means taking your bike out of the shed instead of stepping into your car) and mind what you eat. Excessive jogging or running actually does damage joints. Any sport done in excessive matter is bad for your body. Top athletes don't last very long.

The remark about the shoes is true, however. Don't be greedy when you're out there buying sports shoes. Usually when you pay 20 dollars more you have a shoe that's of a better quality.

Goal: Beijing 2008
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 12:56 AM   #9
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by uss:
Thanks for the insight, everyone. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Lord, or should I say oh Lord, 8-9 miles a day!? My record length, which I've run up to 5 times, is 9 kilometres to compare.

The 400s series sounds like a good idea. About how long should I rest after every 400 m?

I occasionally play football barefoot in the local beach.

I'm training for myself, the main goal is to have enough physical endurance to be able to get through the next school year, which is going to be radically different from the last nine ones. [img]graemlins/imtough.gif[/img]
I can give you a workout to start off with. If you want, give me a PM and I can send you a different workout to do with times to be completed in every week.

I'll have to assume for now that you've done some running before, although not too much:

start off with just 4 400 meter runs. Run a 400 in about 1:40 (this is a pretty slow time, but then again, I don't know much about your ability atm), after you finish that 400, don't stop running. Slow your pace down to a comfortable pace where you can get a chance to recover somewhat (don't walk!). Jog 400 meters slowly to recover, then do another 400 at the same time. Repeat this till you've done all 4 400s. When you're done, stretch and then jog a slow cool down mile.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 01:04 AM   #10
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

Jogging is hardly the best way to burn fat and stay healthy. [/QUOTE]I was quoting a lady who's job it is to teach others how to stay in shape. I should have specifically quoted her in saying that jogging is the best way to get rid of the fat in one's stomach area. My mistake for not saying so the first time.

[ 07-23-2005, 01:05 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]