Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2002, 04:44 AM   #1
Sodomatic Goat
Manshoon

OK, I started some years ago playing Baldur's Gate I and thought that was the best game ever, and then I started searching for other games in the same genre I now have BG II and Icewind Dale but honestly I think ID sucks big time compared to the BG games, maybe it is because I havn't gotten so far yet, I simply had to stop playing ID because of boredom, where in BG you can choose a lot of ways to do the game and walk all over the world as you want you can only do one thing at a time in ID, can this really be true???
Can anyone recommend any roleplaying games for pc?? I have BG I + II, Icewind Dale and Fallout I + II + Tactics.... I havn't got 3D graphics.....
Old 11-04-2002, 04:59 AM   #2
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Welcome to the boards [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img] maybe you should considder buying a good graphics card, otherwise your choice of games is gonna be limited.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:12 AM   #3
Eudoxus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Welcome SG. Perhaps you might want to play Divine Divinity (a European game) - though I'm not sure that it would run without a video card. GForce 2 Pro or GTS cards are quite cheap these days and would handle any 2D game.

What specs does your pc have?
Old 11-04-2002, 05:19 AM   #4
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I don't have a decent graphics card either, so I'm in the same boat with ya bud [img]smile.gif[/img]
Here are some games that you might wanna take a look at, particularly if you are entertained more by storyline and characterization than relentless action:

-Planescape: Torment. This is a VERY fine game from the same folks that brought you Baldur's Gate. Indepth, engrossing storyline with a wide variety of quests/freedom of action.

-Arcanum: Similar in concept to Baldur's Gate. Fantasy role-playing with a twist of industrial-revolution technology (rifles, steamtrains and the like). Considerable individuality of character development and non-linear central storyline. Highly playable, highly entertaining.

-Grim Fandango. Not a role-playing in the sense of personalized character-development being the central factor of play. But arguably one of the greatest and most involving stories ever told on the PC. Some characters in here that you will never forget.

I could list many more, but those three should keep you busy for a long, long time
Happy gaming!
Old 11-04-2002, 05:30 AM   #5
Warhammer
Baaz Draconian

The big advantage in the IWDs compared to the BGs is that you can create a whole party of 6, instead of being limited to pre-generated, like'm-or-not recruitable NPCs. I hate Imoen, Minsk & Co (*runs for cover*), and found it great to be able to make a whole party entirely from scratch.

I too recommend Divine Divinity, Arcanum, and Icewinddale 2 (unless you really hated the fist one), because it is the only IE game with the 3rd ed.

[ 11-04-2002, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: Warhammer ]
Old 11-04-2002, 07:02 AM   #6
Sodomatic Goat
Manshoon

Actually I kind of prefer 2D games because they tend to have better gameplay, or maybe I should even go back to my old C64, 16 colours and lots of fun, he he, well I would like 3D card but it is damn expensive and the only game I would want to play is Neverwinter Nights to continue with my BG character....

I am currently looking for Planescape Torment for a recenable price, but it's hard to find in Danish shops, they only have the mega selling games....
Old 11-04-2002, 07:15 AM   #7
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Welcome to Ironworks!

Try checking the Miscellaneous games forum, you might find some discussions of older games that would run on your video.

Cloudbringer
Official Welcome Wagon of the Ironworks Forums
Old 11-04-2002, 01:37 PM   #8
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

the imported cahracter things for NWN was cancelled before the game was released, you can hack your character to be nearly identical to your BG1 or 2 char, but that's it (I was kinda bummed out about it)
Old 11-04-2002, 01:46 PM   #9
Lavindathar
Harper

I'd say the BG series win's, as I've played both of them, and IWD1.

The BG series are just better, although I did really enjoy the feel and atmosphere of IWD. Dunno why!

Old 11-05-2002, 04:21 AM   #10
Sodomatic Goat
Manshoon

What the f***, well if you can't import BG II characters into NWN maybe there is hope they'll make a # III, aaah that would really make my day!