Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2001, 05:24 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Interesting reading.

War? On whom? "The folks that did this" are dead already. They perished
at the same moment as they wiped out the lives of so many innocent people. What shall we do now? Hunt down their ghosts? Of course they had accomplices. But they are probably just as keen to die for their cause.

So when we find and destroy them, will they not merely thank us? These
people are on another wavelength. It is one that we can hardly comprehend. Yet we must comprehend it, urgently. Or we truly will be starting to march up the path to Armageddon.

We need, first of all, to see what was driving those killers. It was a hatred of America - plus a sense of total faith in the righteousness of their cause. Now, as we set out to avenge their atrocities, we have to ask what is driving us? In principle, it is spookily similar. Hatred for the terrorists - and a sense of total faith in the righteousness of our cause. HERE are your enemies Mr Bush. HERE are the ancient sources of evil that must be finally conquered if this earth is to survive. Hatred. And total faith in the righteousness of ANY cause.

So?

In the light of this horror, what will we now set out to do? Shall we strive to consign conflict to history? Shall we try to build a world based on inspiration, celebration and education; humility, tolerance and kindness? Shall we learn to forgive - but not to forget. To understand - but not to excuse. To make allowances - but not to make fools of ourselves? Or shall we all just keep on getting angry? And then just blow each other to kingdom come? Till there's nobody left to blame?

-----Jonathan Cainer

------------------
Old 09-19-2001, 05:30 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

Interesting indeed! It is very simple but so little people think about it.

"War is naught but destruction, originated only in the mind of those who wish to see revenge. Revenge upon revenge, death upon death.. war brings nothing. In the end people will eventually find out that they've been fighting themselves instead of the enemy all the time." - Michiel Jonkman

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-19-2001, 09:47 AM   #3
Elif Godson
Dracolich

There is really only one thing positive about war.(this
isnot my personal opinion)It boost's the economy It is a true tragedy when so
many have to die. You have some good insight in that article.

Peace be with all of you.

[This message has been edited by Elif Godson (edited 09-19-2001).]
Old 09-19-2001, 10:16 AM   #4
Diogenes Of Pumpkintown
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Elif Godson:
There is really only one thing positive about war.
It boost's the economy It is a true tragedy when so
many have to die. You have some good insight in that article.

Peace be with all of you.
Good thoughts there, Memnoch.

Just a few quick comments here on the oft repeated assumption that war is good for the economy. Americans seem to think that a lot because of the experience with the Depression and World War II. What we overlook is that was an EXCEPTION, not the general rule.

Certainly, that same war was hell on the economies of almost every other country that participated in it.

The same holds true for other wars that America has participated in. The Vietnam war, for example, was a tremendous drain on the American economy.

War in general is not good for economies. Leaving aside for the moment all the damage that can be done to infrastructure by bombing and the like, war means a diversion of resources and energy into activities of destruction, instead of improving people's lives.

Old 09-19-2001, 10:23 AM   #5
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes Of Pumpkintown:
Good thoughts there, Memnoch.

Just a few quick comments here on the oft repeated assumption that war is good for the economy. Americans seem to think that a lot because of the experience with the Depression and World War II. What we overlook is that was an EXCEPTION, not the general rule.

Certainly, that same war was hell on the economies of almost every other country that participated in it.

The same holds true for other wars that America has participated in. The Vietnam war, for example, was a tremendous drain on the American economy.

War in general is not good for economies. Leaving aside for the moment all the damage that can be done to infrastructure by bombing and the like, war means a diversion of resources and energy into activities of destruction, instead of improving people's lives.
Hear hear!
Not to mention what it does to the people who LOSE the war. Or any country who is directly attacked.

------------------

Kazara

Sapphire Dragoness of ALSB
Waitress at Cloudy's Cafe
Old 09-19-2001, 10:43 AM   #6
Gwhanos, Lord Of Evil

They wanted to sew chaos into usa, but as bush said, you guys are stronger!

------------------

All your base are belong to us! How Are you gentlemen?

Co-owner of The Abyssal Pit
The Spaminyte Emperor
Official Demon/Villain of IW!
Fish? Welcome to your Doom!

Old 09-19-2001, 11:02 AM   #7
Zateel
Zhentarim Guard

I can definitely see the point here. Rash action can create enemies that we don't even have (yet). But think also upon this.

We can sit by as the towers fall.

We can sit by as the Capitol is destroyed.

Two weeks later we can sit by as the White House burns.

A month later we can sit by as fourteen elementary schools are bombed in one hour.

etcetera, etcetera

If no more terorist acts were to occur after this point, I agree- let it go for the good of the remaining.

If this success encourages terrorists (and I can't see why it wouldn't- it was a remarkably successful day for them), we will let countless more events go unanswered before finally doing what we will probably be doing shortly anyway. No demands have been asked of the USA by the group; there are no terms to be met. If any are implied, they are not clear.

Am I supporting bloodshed and spending countless billions on an unknown/ unfindable/ miniscule enemy? No. But would any of us calmly turn our back to an angry vicious dog who has already bitten us once? This is a very tough decision that will be made using more information than the public has been given by CNN. I hope that the country and the world can unite behind the final decision for action, whatever it may be, so that once implemented the plan can be successful and hopefully over soon.
Old 09-19-2001, 12:43 PM   #8
Belecthor
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Indeed the direct perpetrators of the recent events are dead.

In addition, the perpetrators of the attack on our ship in Yemen recently is dead.

My one point is this. If we had muscled up the resolve that we have now to extenguish terrorism after the attack on the ship, perhaps, PERHAPS, we could have averted the recent tragedy and many Americans would be living and going about their normal lives that, instead, are dead.

Those that aid and support terrorism must be stopped. I really could care less whether they're keen to die for their cause or not. Whether they go to their deaths with a smile or a grimace on their face is immaterial to me, as long as I don't have to see another terrorist attack such as the ones that we've witnessed.

------------------
Belecthor
Hedge Knight
"Crushing the skulls of morons, sycophants and other insipid evil-doers."
"Non Arte, Sed Marte"
Old 09-19-2001, 01:20 PM   #9
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Zateel:
I can definitely see the point here. Rash action can create enemies that we don't even have (yet). But think also upon this.

We can sit by as the towers fall.

We can sit by as the Capitol is destroyed.

Two weeks later we can sit by as the White House burns.

A month later we can sit by as fourteen elementary schools are bombed in one hour.

etcetera, etcetera

If no more terorist acts were to occur after this point, I agree- let it go for the good of the remaining.

If this success encourages terrorists (and I can't see why it wouldn't- it was a remarkably successful day for them), we will let countless more events go unanswered before finally doing what we will probably be doing shortly anyway. No demands have been asked of the USA by the group; there are no terms to be met. If any are implied, they are not clear.

Am I supporting bloodshed and spending countless billions on an unknown/ unfindable/ miniscule enemy? No. But would any of us calmly turn our back to an angry vicious dog who has already bitten us once? This is a very tough decision that will be made using more information than the public has been given by CNN. I hope that the country and the world can unite behind the final decision for action, whatever it may be, so that once implemented the plan can be successful and hopefully over soon.
HEAR, HEAR! A terrific, concise way of saying what I have been trying to say, and will continue to say. You don't ask a rabid dog what you have done to hurt his self-esteem to cause him to bite you. You do not expose other body parts for him to savage. You get your gun and put him down.
Thanks, Zateel

------------------
Unstinting Gaurdian of Children
Defender of Those Unable To

To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy. Nuke'm til the damn camels glow.
Old 09-19-2001, 01:28 PM   #10
Link
Jack Burton

Belecthor: Aren't you Uber-Moderator at Mithril Hall???

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe