Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2003, 03:36 PM   #11
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
Anyway, now that I can finally study again after such a long gap, I'm finally getting a bit more like him: I'm quite fanatical when it comes to preparing schoolwork. It's just that I'm so thankful I'm well enough to study again, that I don't want to screw it up. But knowing myself it cannot take long before I start slacking again We'll see....

Hmmm, I don't know what your gap was Melusine, but I'm sure it wasn't quite like mine...

I feel quite the same as you do actually. I did HAVO, failed 4th grade twice because of .... well..... puberty . Then did IT MBO and last year had a brake. Joined the marine corps, thought it might learn me some discipine or some other vague skill....

Now after a year of unemployement, goalless wondering, not wanting to do anything in my life I finally got (well, technically gave myself) a second chance: college! And I'm grasping this opportunity with both hands. Kids in my class who are 4-5 years younger then me all think I'm psycho, because I work so damn hard... But they don't know what it is like not having to do anything with your time, they don't know what it is like to have to work for money, just so you can survive. The day you drop out of school (read: finished school) is the day you start the rest of your life. It scared the hell out of me!!

But like you said, you're afraid of screwing up. I never had a case of being afraid to fail school or anything else, but that has changed. I feel my throat getting squeezed tight when I think of the fact that I might not make it through college!! That I might fail. While there is no reason to to be afraid, because I'm perfectly qualified to make it through college. Oh well, I guess it's just this first year... Once I get my 'P', things will probably ease up a little.

I'll now stop hijacking the thread and leave it over to you guys!!
Thnx for listening though

Old 10-12-2003, 03:45 PM   #12
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I am like this sometimes. You know I want to have good grades but i don`t study hard enough for them. I know that but still...there is something out there that i can`t do it.(God i wish the school would be soccer. Then i would be the best... )
My father(a lawyer) always says to me:"you have to study with smile on your face. Do you know how many people would give everything for a good education?"

He has a good point,but i don`t know. I am not the type of learner that he was.(I wish o would be)...

So i do try to study with a smile...sometimes i can,sometimes I cannot...
Wish me luck!
Old 10-12-2003, 03:51 PM   #13
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Good luck! The bad thing for me is that I'm in the final year of university, I really should be more motivated by now!!
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 10-12-2003, 04:43 PM   #14
Blind_Prophet
Symbol of Cyric

Heh i'm lazy all the time just like that vaskez, and with getting out of school early everday cause i only have 3 classes senior makes it even worse. I don't have a car don't have a job don't have a licence. I just go to school and then sit around or go sit around with friends, i always manage to get work done at the last minute [img]tongue.gif[/img] but yeah sometimes i wish i was motivated.

oh (if you download music go find the song burritos by sublime [img]tongue.gif[/img] it's probally just how you feel)
Old 10-12-2003, 05:00 PM   #15
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

Hmmm, I don't know what your gap was Melusine, but I'm sure it wasn't quite like mine...
I have a chronic illness, was sick at home for two years. Quite unlike yours, yes. I've never had any problems deciding what I wanted to do in life, I've wanted to study English from quite an early age on. I had a couple of kids at school like you, that just didn't have a study they really wanted to do, that they were truly passionate about. In that respect I had it easy, it helps if you know what you want to do education-wise. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2003, 05:26 PM   #16
Lady Blue03
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I'm like that right now. I should be studying for mid-terms but instead I'm here and being amsorbed in my football game. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2003, 05:30 PM   #17
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

Light Bulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Melusine:
quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

I have a chronic illness, was sick at home for two years. Quite unlike yours, yes. I've never had any problems deciding what I wanted to do in life, I've wanted to study English from quite an early age on. I had a couple of kids at school like you, that just didn't have a study they really wanted to do, that they were truly passionate about. In that respect I had it easy, it helps if you know what you want to do education-wise. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]
It's true: I didn't knew what study I wanted to do, only that I *did* wanted to go to college for my degree. Best investment one can make, I say. But now I know: law!
Old 10-12-2003, 06:21 PM   #18
Tancred
White Dragon

I used to be like that... no discipline, to the point of self-destruction. Then I left university, got a job for 3 1/2 years, went back to university. And believe you me, I've *learned* what a deadline is.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:31 PM   #19
wellard
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Blue03:
I'm like that right now. I should be studying for mid-terms but instead I'm here and being amsorbed in my football game. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
That is not time wasting! that is probably the best use of a few spare hours I could think of. [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

But back on track, I have had this lazy unenergetic sloth like feeling for nearly two years now. I used to bound out of bed and seize the day. Play football, ride the mountinbike through local bushland, get chores done straight away to leave the rest of the day free ect. Now I can go for days without wanting to get out of bed or doing jobs around the house I did find out a while back that my blood iron levels where down to near zero so that probably has everything to do with it.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 10-12-2003, 08:47 PM   #20
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
I'm not like that at all. The opposite actually. Yesterday I didn't really have anything pressing to do since my supervisor had all my thesis stuff to read so I couldn't work on that, and I'd done as much of my other assignments I could for the time being - it was actually quite hard for me to do nothing and feel okay about it. I can laze about, I'm actually a pretty lazy person though I've improved a lot over the past year, but I tend to feel too guilty or worried to let myself do that for too long.

However, sometimes it's a bad thing to get work done too quickly! No really . Like I had an assignment due today, which I actually finished three weeks ago because I knew I'd have a lot of thesis work to do at this time so I wanted to get it done as early as possible. But I had to go back to it on Saturday to fix some of it because our lecturer pointed out a couple of things that were necessary to include which weren't specified anywhere. So being TOO organised can be a problem as well