Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2002, 06:52 PM   #11
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by john:
Luvian,Doesn't anyone in your party complain about taking a hot soak in a tub and wanting to find a room.If I go too far between resting everyone in my party starts to complain and won't do anything ,at least do it very well!?
Not really. The only time you spend a lot of time is when moving between distant area, and you only do that like 2-3 times in the game. Everything else is very close. And even when we travel great distance, you are not tired yet, you still have to spend some time before your characters tire.

You can still fight when your characters are tired. Like I said, I only rest when I have no other choices, so I keep going even if they are tired.

Saving Icewind Dale is far more important than getting a little sleep. Personally, I would not sleep in enemy teritory unless I really needed to.

Sleeping is also the most unreallistic aspect of the game. How can you sleep 8 hours in an enemies's stronghold without being seen, and without them ever moving either?

[ 10-23-2002, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 10-23-2002, 10:46 PM   #12
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Realistic is all well and good... but I dont LIVE in Icewind Dale. Its a game I purchased to have fun. Why should I make self imposed rules that make the game more difficult and less fun for the sake of "reality" in a FANTASY game? I here people talking about reality so much but they dont seem to mind the REALITY of a GOBLIN in HoF having 250 HP. Heres my reality, Goblin gets his 250 HP... and I get my Improved invis. [img]smile.gif[/img] I dont endorse "CHEATING" (I have never even SEEN the in game console)but I find ways around problems the game throws at me WITHIN the rules the game designers laid out. I realise some of these rules are different from D&D core rules but again this is just a computer game and I enjoy "beating-the-system" tactics. When the patch comes out it actualy makes the game more fun because I have to find new ways around problems. AND (just one more I promise) these tactics make soloing possible which is 80% of the replay value for me.

PS: NO OFFENSE MEANT TO ANYBODY! DONT TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALY OR TO SERIOUSLY!
[img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2002, 12:20 AM   #13
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

To each his own. I enjoy playing in as much a realistic way as possible. I am currently in a solo game, using a Barbarian Thief on normal difficulty. It's very hard, but I am having a lot of fun.

If you thought a backstabing thief was scary, just think about my 22 str backstabing barbarian.
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 12:34 AM   #14
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraph:
quote:
improved invisibility is NOT a cheat in any way,
So something that lets you do whatever you want, but wont let the enemy attack you isnt a cheat?
Thats what the broken Improved Invisiblity did. Its even worse that there is no good anti-invisibilty spell in the game.
[/QUOTE]I disagree with your statement. This is an exploitation to the players' advantage and should not be considered as cheating. If the game gives you a +10 super weapon to kill of all enemies in one hit, it is up to the player to choose if he/she would like to make use of the advantage. In any case, this is a valid spell provided by Black Isle and I think it is a poor argument to classified it as "cheat" just because some people decided to make good use of it.
Old 10-24-2002, 03:05 AM   #15
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Improved Inivibilty: I will agree is NOT a cheat. An exploit if you like, and very cheap but not a cheat. Use it if your OK with that. Dont use it if you get to sleep better at night. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Luvian: Barbarian/Theif I LOVE IT! Half-Orc? Sounds like a good mix. Tell us how far you get... I have this hilarious image in my head of a 7' tall half-orc hiding in the shadows and backstabbing someone UN-NOTICED, and it puts me on the floor. What are the Stats on this monstrosity you've created?
Old 10-24-2002, 03:08 AM   #16
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Oh yeah... this was posted in another thread but it belongs in the Cheese Dept. "Sorcerer 28/Paladin 1/Monk 1" Human/Wild Elf Could use the holy avenger and the Monk gauntlets that give 5 attacks per turn while stilll being an incredible spellcaster and high charisma/intelligence would make shops/npcs a pushover. I think this will be my first solo after my HoF Game. Im at the Severed Hand now... So close, yet so far away. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2002, 04:04 AM   #17
Jellyfish
Dungeon Master

If you really want to make it a perfect character, never use that class for fighting. Trust me...never
I have been using it for a while. Focusing on magic is the right way...
Old 10-24-2002, 01:17 PM   #18
RobB
Welcomed New User

WarHammer

Patch did not change much for me. I have self imposed rules, in my (C)RPGs:
- No summon spells
- No ranged weapons
- No Stealth
- No cheesy/broken spells, of course.

Ok, I can kind of understand if you think the use of summon spells, or your version of a cheesy/broken spell or spells is lame or cheap, but I don't understand why you think ranged weapons or stealth is cheap? All of those things combined take out huge elements of the game. I guess to each his own, but if I were going to limit myself so much I wouldn't bother buying the game. I just can't find the logic here, if stealth is cheap, than isn't every special ability in the game? If ranged weapons are cheap than ins't any ranged spell? In fact, it seems to me that by your logic that the only thing not cheap is a single classed human fighter that doesn't use ranged weapons or stealth...
RobB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 01:27 PM   #19
Kygon-Jo
Dungeon Master

I read Luvians thread about sleeping. I must admit that i am guilty of sleeping if the game will let me. I try if I am in enenmy territory to rest after a major battle. I make a reasonble effort to find what I consider a remote location or room and then sleep. When I get low on spells the battles get increasingly tough.

I always scout ahead but as the game progressed if I was at a point to advance through a door or area where it would auto-save, I would buff my characters up with spells just in case there were enemies lurking on the other side. Somtimes there were and somtimes there were not.. boom wasted spells.

Thus I am guilty of resting if I can. I dont think it is a cheat.I agree that at some points resting should no be allowed becasue it is not "realistic".
Kygon-Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 02:39 PM   #20
Guinness
The Magister

Sleep? BAH.... it's not sleep..... u are merely "resting" to recover spells. I am sure while the wimpy spell casters are busy mugging their spells, the big hard barbarians are still keeping watch.

Anyway..... So far my fav tactiXs:
-----------------
Web, entangle

Spiked stone, cloudkill/acid fog

then pelt the enemy to bits while they try coming towards you.
-----------------

Block a doorway (either with a "sphered" character or a one protected against fire!)

let the entire army of enemies come to attack

Let loose a "shroud of flame".

(this works esp well in the underdark.)
-----------------

Variation of above can be augmented other spells and stuff.....