Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2002, 12:30 PM   #1
Vassago
Manshoon

Ok, if I read the manuel correctly, Rangers gain the ability to use 2 weapons as if they had both Ambidexterity & Two-Weapon Fighting feats. Without Ambidexterity, a character suffers a -4 pentalty to their off hand attack while using 2 weapons and with Two-Weapon Fighting, a character's penalties for fighting w/ 2 weapons are reduced by 2. I created a Tiefling Ranger and gave him 2 long swords (regular ones) and when I was viewing my characters info under weapons it had a -4 pentality for each one. Is there something I am missing? I also noticed that I can take both of these feats when I was creating my character, but didn't bother to b/c I thought I was supposed to get them for free. Please help explain this.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:40 PM   #2
Festus
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK, you're on the right track, but a few details are missing.

Rangers get the "effect" of ambi and 2-weapon as long as wear ONLY light or no armor. So if you wear medium or heavy armor, you'll need the two feats.

The -2/-2 for attacks ONLY works if you use a small weapon in the off hand. This is in the manual, but you have to actually read it.

For my rangers, I typically use a short sword/dagger or handaxe in the off hand, so I get full advantage of the feats.
Old 10-24-2002, 03:57 PM   #3
Vassago
Manshoon

I knew about the armor, but missed the part about the small weapon. I had my Ranger equipped w/ Studded Leather. Oh well, I'm nixing the idea of using a Ranger anyway, but might add 1 level of Ranger to a Rogue that I am considering creating. I'd like to dual wield my Rogue w/ short swords or daggers, depending on what I find throughout my journey.
Old 10-25-2002, 09:05 PM   #4
Khazraj
Dungeon Master

I have never really noticed a problem with dual wielding longswords amd scimitars, even flails! Is this because at a higher level the BABs are quite high and so the -4 penalty does not seem much?
Old 10-25-2002, 09:41 PM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

You can reduce the penalty by 1 if you take weapon focus (2 dots) in the particular weapon, such as longsword (or shortsword) or whatever. And yes, at higher levels, the penalty doesn't mean so much anymore.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 09:25 AM   #6
Gimli
Emerald Dragon

True, but at high levels, dualing doesn't have any advantage since the game has a cap on the number of attacks you can make per round. Once you hit 5 attacks (whether through level alone or level plus a haste spell) you'll do the same # of attacks with a single weapon. Plus you could take the -4 from dualing and apply it to the expertise feat for a +4 AC bonus. To me there are 2 benefits from dualing. Early in the game it's nice as it effectively doubles your attacks (but your BAB is bad too, and early on it will cause alot of misses); and you can get any magical effects from 2 weapons at once, that's probably the best thing about it.