Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 05:45 AM   #1
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I'm getting these emails, 2-3 per day. Their always about stock quotes. They're driving me crazy! I called my internet provide to see if they could be stopped. They said I had to change my email address.

I thought I heard something to the effect that these things should have a "remove" option by law? These emails do not have that and I can't reply to them. Any way to stop these with Thunderbird? Or even better, send them a horrible virus which will fry their system?
Old 08-30-2006, 06:03 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

I too started getting those stock spams in the past few weeks. My email's anti-spam catches about 75% of them, but some do make their way into my inbox. It's slowly stopping now and becoming something like 3-4 per day (used to be around 10 daily).

V, you didn't subscribe to any spam, did you? So you think they'll stop if you 'remove' yourself?

If you change your email adress, it's only a matter of time before you start getting spam again. Try getting some anti-spam software, but be careful, mine filters email about PM received on Ironworks, even after I put webmaster(a)ironworksforum.com on my safe list.

EDIT: selling mistake

[ 08-30-2006, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: ZFR ]
Old 08-30-2006, 06:30 AM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by ZFR:

EDIT: selling mistake
[img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

[ 08-30-2006, 06:31 AM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:07 AM   #4
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Why are you laughing, HT? Spam *IS* a selling mistake...

Not much to do for it besides trying to automate its removal. Are they coming from the same address or domain? If so, you could block that, but odds are pretty good that multiple domains and addresses are being used.

And yeah, there's a law in the US that says you're supposed to include an opt-out method. Law-abiding companies include that in their unsolicited emails. The scum-sucking spammers don't bother...

BTW, it's good to see the Hivetyrant Pac-Man sig back again... it's been a while
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 AM   #5
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
How about this....the other day i downloaded a ringtone for my mobile phone. Ever since that day i've been bombarded with textmessages offering me all sorts of ringtones, 3-4 a day, each textmessage costs me money. Only recently i found out how to put a stop to this, but not after receiving a phonebill 4 times as high as it usually is. I never asked them to provide me with daily new ringtones, they simply start sending them as soon as you download one. And they have the balls to call it free ringtones...yeah right.

[ 08-30-2006, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: johnny ]
Old 08-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Variol (Farseer) Elmwood:
I'm getting these emails, 2-3 per day. Their always about stock quotes. They're driving me crazy! I called my internet provide to see if they could be stopped. They said I had to change my email address.

I thought I heard something to the effect that these things should have a "remove" option by law? These emails do not have that and I can't reply to them. Any way to stop these with Thunderbird? Or even better, send them a horrible virus which will fry their system?
I don't know about thunderbird, but the mozilla code is derived from netscape and netscape has a junk mail blocker. Poke around the menus to see what you can find.

I use the netscape mail client solely for that reason.

Another option is using GMail which has an excellent spam blocker. If you receive spam, just click the "report spam" button and it's immediately filtered, and the report used to filter future spam.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

Thanks everybody. Lots of good ideas. I was able to set up something Tbird to send it directly to the trash. I;ll what else I can find though. It doesn't really make sense when you think about these emails. They don't give you any way to take advantage of those great stocks!?

I can't do the "remove" thing 'cos there's no option and if I reply, it just comes back.

Any ideas on the virus thing!?!?! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-30-2006, 01:19 PM   #8
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

Three weeks ago about 13131231231 stock-related emails came in. None this week. Yay for teaching your anti-spam!
Old 08-30-2006, 07:27 PM   #9
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
An approach to consider if you want to get the most out of different companies anti-spam filters is to set up email forwarding. I mostly give out my email address from my grad school, but have set up that account to forward all mail to my gmail address. That means that spam has to get past both the university and the google spam filters to get to my inbox.

Only reason not to bounce all your email through a long string of addresses is that if a legitimate email gets lost along the way, it'd be hard to check the spam folders on all the sites to find it.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:18 PM   #10
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Take your ISP up on a new e-mail address.

Never ever give that to anybody other than your trusted computer savy friends that will not forward you junk e-mails, or chain letters etc.. In addition, never use that e-mail in a public domain, internet registration, or any service related contact information. Lastly, get your self a good fake web based e-mail account. One that you do not care about, and give it out. Use their "Spam" feature, and let it go.

Three years from now you should still not have any SPAM in your real e-mail account.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote