Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2000, 12:45 AM   #1
SatanGoat

Ok, is there any REAL reason to keep Aerie? Besides to hear her whine? She got all pissy when I turned her down for Jaheria because I thought she was too easy and those scars would just ruin it for me..

Seriously, she's a bad Cleric and a bad mage.. is there any real reason to keep her or can she be ditched when you get an actual cleric on board (if there is one).

BAAAAH...

Old 11-29-2000, 01:16 PM   #2
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Well that can be a tough choice, it would help to know who is in your party. You really don't want any more than 3 tankers at the most. I think most of us are content with 2. You need a decent thief and Yoshimo is the only decent option. Though I hear Jan Jensen can do a good job. Nalia is a dual Mage/Thief, but her thieving skills are poor and can't be increased. Imoens are a little better at thieving but neither can go very high as Mages.
That leaves Edwin, who is the best Mage in the game, a must. And Aerie, who though weak and whiny is a decent multi class Mage/Cleric. In my opinion she is valuable beside Edwin. Never underestimate the ability to cast magic missiles, great spell breaker. And she can cast quite a few good offensive and defensive spells. Not to mention as a Cleric she can cast many important defensive spells such as Aid, Chant, Bless, all manner of Healings, Protection from Evil and Evil Radius 10'. Negative plane protection, Breach, Lower Magic Resistence etcetera. She can Summon and on and on. With her decent offensive ability and excellent defensive power working with Edwins exceptional offensive ability I personally think Aerie is an asset. Add Jaheira's Summon Insects, which is a fantastic magic casting stopper, well, I like the combo anyway. Just my 2 cents
Old 11-29-2000, 05:25 PM   #3
Axis

I'm on your side SatanGoat. Man what a damn whiny brat! The only reason she is in my party is because of the current situation in my game. My party will be doing something most important, and she will start talking her sad story smack!! Also, if you listen faintly, stupid sad music plays as well. I'm on your side, dump her as soon as you can, I myself don't know how much more I can take!!

Old 11-29-2000, 10:55 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Just get rid of her, she's just a support character you get early in the game. If you're using her as a cleric, dump her for Viconia or Jaheira who are both MUCH better and can be buffed up to become decent tanks.
Old 12-02-2000, 12:23 AM   #5
Spiny Norm

Aeries got to be worth keeping, if only to hear her on the verge of tears every time Viconia winds her up.

Old 12-02-2000, 01:09 PM   #6
Magnus Magnificent

Maybe it's just me, but Aerie just got 6lvl mage spells and kicks major butt. I did get sick of her whining early on, but after dumping her 2 or 3 times(I dump her to do other NPC quests) and brining her back, she quit whining. As to Yoshimo, Jan Jansen kicks his ass. I dumped Yoshimo as soon as I found Jan. He is 10x the player. He has excellent thieving skkills, makes his own ammo, now has 5lvl mage spells, plus he is hilarious. I find that the overlap of Aerie and Jahiera on druid/cleric spells and the overlap of Jan and Aerie on mage spells is awesome. I can cast 2 spells from either book at the same time. It's like 4 players for the price of 3. I have my Paladin and Minsc up front with various other NPCs filling out that last slot. (Valygar with CF and elven bow right now) I tried Viconia, but as a Paladin, I just can't tolerate her. I haven't tried to evaluate her, Korgan, or Edwin as players. They irritate me from the initial meeting. I honestly don't know what I would do with more fire power, anyway. I am rockin' the world with this group.

Old 12-02-2000, 05:35 PM   #7
BubbaD

Hey quit picking on me girl So far my party is *very* fighter heavy, probably a throwback from playing Icewind Dale...I'm in Chapter 5 now and my party is:

Keileigh McChuchulain (Female Human Undead Hunter)
Minsc!!!
Valygar
Aerie
Imoen
Mazzy

So, lots of fighters, not very much spellslingers. Ironically in lots of the really tough battles Mazzy was often the only one stanidng, she must not be very intimidating at 4'something...

With Aerie and Imoen doing the spellcasting and having double mage spell ability seems to be doing okay. The only things that have really given me problems has been the damn illithids Also I'm pretty much a pauper when it comes to the Theiving thing right now, so if I want a fight I just have Imoen p*ss somebody off by tring to pick their pocket...I'll probably pick up Jan Jansen and drop Mazzy or Valygar.

Bubba D

Old 12-02-2000, 05:51 PM   #8
Magnus Magnificent

Bubba,
I think Mazzy for Jan is a good trade, but he is probably going to be a little bit low on EPs compared to your chapter 5 guys...

Old 12-02-2000, 06:01 PM   #9
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Depends on what difficulty level you are playing. If you are at insane level you will definitely need casters who can reach up to level 8/9.
Old 12-02-2000, 09:37 PM   #10
Armisael

Aerie gets her level six spells exceedingly late, and doesn't get anything higher than that, period. Not worth it in my opinion, especially since Edwin gets three or four level eight memorizations alone.