Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2003, 08:22 AM   #1
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

Question Mark

I found this article here ---> http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapc...ted/index.html

It has pictures of the alleged "terrorist". After I looked at them all I can think is "Way to go FBI!!", Feh. I wouldnt let thoes clowns look for my lost cat.

Quote:
LAHORE, Pakistan (CNN) -- The FBI says it plans to interview a Pakistani jeweler who says his photograph is among the five pictures the FBI has distributed of men whom the agency wants to question.

The FBI on Wednesday said it hopes to interview Mohammed Asghar, 33, a father of three children from Lahore, as soon as possible about his claims.

Asghar said he was surprised when he picked up a Pakistani newspaper and saw his picture identified as Mustafa Khan Owasi, one of the five men the FBI issued an alert for Sunday, saying it believes they entered the country illegally through Canada.

An Associated Press photograph of Asghar seemed to confirm his claim. The FBI said that until it interviews Asghar, it cannot confirm that an incorrect photograph was used in its alert.

In an hour-long interview with CNN Producer Syed Naqvi, Asghar was shown the photograph of Owasi being distributed by the FBI and said the image was indeed him.

"This is my photograph. I am the same person," he told CNN in an off-camera interview. "I don't know how the FBI got my photograph."

Asghar said even the date of birth -- December 11, 1969 -- being provided by the FBI is the same as his.

He said that he has not traveled to the United States, and that he left Pakistan only once this year. On that trip he went to Abu Dhabi, but he was deported back to Pakistan immediately because he had a forged United Kingdom passport.

Asghar, who owns a small jewelry store in Lahore, said he had gone to Dubai because he was considering going on to Europe to seek a better job.

'Suicidal'
The FBI has said Owasi and four other men are believed to have entered the United States on or around December 24. Sources have said they were believed to have been smuggled into the country through Canada.

Asghar, however, said he was in Pakistan that day. Pointing to one of his relatives, he said, "I was with him all day. ... I don't know how they can say I was entering the United States on the 24th of December."

He said he was deeply troubled and "heartbroken" that his picture had been distributed in such a way, so much so that he has contemplated committing suicide. He added that he fears what might happen to him if the FBI takes him into custody.

"I am really afraid of what Americans will do with me," he said. "I am really sick. I am a heart patient. I am not feeling well."
Old 01-02-2003, 08:55 AM   #2
MagiK

Are we surprised that perhaps terrorits would stoop to such dispicable acts as Identity theft? Why cant they stick to good old fashioned murder?

Old 01-02-2003, 10:41 AM   #3
Ronn_Bman
Zartan

Actually, those pictures and the information about the suspects was provided by the Canandian government.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:54 PM   #4
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Okay, so some schmo in Pakistan tried to use a UK passport illegaly to travel there and get a better job. That has ramifications, and I would hope he was appropriately punished for trying to better his situation through fraudulently pretending to be one of us "beautiful people" (a nod to Marilyn Manson).

But, that is a separate issue. Whether or not Canuckia supplied the photos, the FBI, once again, gets caught not doing its homework. Government attorneys and agents can get away with this shit. But, if I as a private attorney issued bigass subpoenas for the wrong guy, you better believe the judge would make me pay through the nose for it. C'mon guys, I expect a little professionalism from the FBI. Is that too much to ask?
Old 01-02-2003, 02:13 PM   #5
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Okay, so some schmo in Pakistan tried to use a UK passport illegaly to travel there and get a better job. That has ramifications, and I would hope he was appropriately punished for trying to better his situation through fraudulently pretending to be one of us "beautiful people" (a nod to Marilyn Manson).

But, that is a separate issue. Whether or not Canuckia supplied the photos, the FBI, once again, gets caught not doing its homework. Government attorneys and agents can get away with this shit. But, if I as a private attorney issued bigass subpoenas for the wrong guy, you better believe the judge would make me pay through the nose for it. C'mon guys, I expect a little professionalism from the FBI. Is that too much to ask?
I agree with ya TL, altho you have to remember the FBI only has any real authority inside the US so all they have to work with is what gets put on the table once those characters get here. If Canuckia (lower eastern Canuckistan) makes an error, how is the FBI supposed to know?

[ 01-02-2003, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: MagiK ]

Old 01-03-2003, 04:16 AM   #6
Sever
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Well said TL. It appears that someone who may/may not be a terrorist has acquired an identity an entered the US with it. It stands to reason that four other innocent men may be being targeted by the FBI.

Which brings up a question: What are those original five men up to now that the feds are looking for the wrong people? (assuming the other photos are frauds)
boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo
Old 01-03-2003, 04:35 AM   #7
Scholarcs
Red Dragon

What I am interested in is whether they are going to clear Mohammed Asghar's name.
<br />\"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five\" - Groucho Marx<br />Member of the ORT Clan. <br />\"Some birds are not meant to be caged because their feathers are too bright\"<br />Ma bouche sera la bouche des malheurs qui n\'ont point de bouche, ma voix, la liberté de celles qui s\'affaissent au cachot du désespoir. - Aimé Césaire<br />La plus perdue de toutes les journées est celle où l\'on n\'a pas ri. - Sébastien Roch Nicolas
Old 01-03-2003, 11:01 AM   #8
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Scholarcs, Mohammed Asghar's name was never smeared, Mustafa Khan Owasi is the name being given. And Timber, how do we know why Asgar tried to get into the UK? For all we know, he could have been trying to enter to activate a terror cell.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:37 AM   #9
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Khazadman, it does not matter. The point is the FBI got the wrong guy. Whether he tried to enter the UK to work illegally or activate a terrorist cell, he broke the law - it's just a matter of degree.

Plus, I'll note you are presuming guilt (on an issue he was not even accused of even) before knowing hardly *anything* about the man or the illegal immigration attempt that was at issue. Isn't innocence presumed? Or did I wake up in a different world this morning? Hope you never find yourself on the receiving end of such prejudgment.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:15 PM   #10
Rokenn
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Khazadman, it does not matter. The point is the FBI got the wrong guy. Whether he tried to enter the UK to work illegally or activate a terrorist cell, he broke the law - it's just a matter of degree.

Plus, I'll note you are presuming guilt (on an issue he was not even accused of even) before knowing hardly *anything* about the man or the illegal immigration attempt that was at issue. Isn't innocence presumed? Or did I wake up in a different world this morning? Hope you never find yourself on the receiving end of such prejudgment.
But TL, you forgot an important fact, to the hanging judges of IW every Muslim is guilty, it's just a matter of time till the evidence can be fabri..., err I mean uncovered. [img]tongue.gif[/img]