Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2001, 02:31 PM   #1
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Is it just saying the same thing over and over is it something else.
Please help.

[IMG] [img]graemlins/1drgat1.gif[/img] [/IMG]
Old 11-28-2001, 02:46 PM   #2
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Very, very, VERY grey area here, Sir Degrader! What I'd classify as spamming would be posts like this:

"TAG...yer it!"

or

"I'm the King of the Universe! Watch me Glowwwwwwwww!"

and then when you repeatedly post nonsense to the same thread.

Spamming also consists of multiple one-word or one-line posts to the same thread, that have nothing to do with the thread, or a thread devoted to nothing but posts like that.

Why is it considered bad?

A) It's WAAAAY annoying (makes you look like a "kid")
B) It uses up valuable server space that Ziroc is paying for out of pocket
C) It slows down the forum for everyone else (more messages, more things for the server to sort through)
D) It breaks the flow of normal conversation in a thread, especially when the person is posting something that has nothing whatsoever to do with it. (Example: in the middle of a discussion on holiday recipes, someone posts "I'm on Jupiter, d'you think I'm stupider?") We're left thinking "HUH???" or "Well, yah, but was that necessary to confirm it for us?")

There are exceptions to the rule (Rikard's infamous "BUNNY!" thread, or the Evil Smiting thread in BG2, or the Pillow Fight thread; these tend to become classics in their own right). But for the most part, we as mods have to watch out for excessive SPAM.

Best thing to do is: if you have nothing worthwhile to say other than to do the equivalent of spray-painting graffiti on the Ironworks wall, don't do it! The thread will get closed or deleted, and you get 40 swats with a wet noodle.

Or worse, Ziroc will send Chocolate after you!

Cheers,

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 11-28-2001, 02:54 PM   #3
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
[QB]

There are exceptions to the rule (Rikard's infamous "BUNNY!" thread, or the Evil Smiting thread in BG2, or the Pillow Fight thread; these tend to become classics in their own right).[QB]

Otherwise known as camouflaged spamming.
Old 11-28-2001, 03:12 PM   #4
Legolas
Jack Burton

Camouflaged spamming? Just a discharge of energy, Mosh Master. (I still wonder what Mosh is)

It's the ancient eastern art of stealth spamming you should fear...

But enough ranting.

Sir Degrader, there are several types of spam. One word posts, nonsense posts and similar are considered bad spam.
Nonsense topics are considered bad spam if noone replies to them
Posting the same topic twice on the same forum is considered bad spam
There is also good spam, of course. These are for example the asylum thread we had here not so long ago. Basically people waltz in screaming nonsense and laughing over it. This can actually be amusing even for others who choose not to participate.
There's a big grey zone between and around each of the spam types, for example, a one word post does not nessicarilyhave to be spam if you are asked a yes or no question.

Oh, me too posts are considered spam too, unless it's in the polls forum.

Once again we dig up the famous quote, which I will not repeat again but says as much as 'If you think you are spamming, you are spamming'.
Don't use logic to change this into 'What you think, goes' though

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Old 11-28-2001, 07:12 PM   #5
Vampire

nah you guys have all misunderstood the TRUE concept of spamming...

You see when you reach the age of 18 and should you choose to goto a different dimention called University...

this is where you are slowly introduced to [img]graemlins/spam2.gif[/img] if you are not already familiar with it.

I have to admit that recently I have avoided spamming. It's not because I've turned a new leaf, it's not because I got tired of the stuff...
It's because I have become too lazy to go and buy [img]graemlins/spam2.gif[/img]

Nevertheless here above lies the true meaning of Spammming [img]graemlins/spam2.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2001, 09:16 AM   #6
Vampire

C'mon are you guys and gals not succumb to my definition of SPAMMING??
I am arguably to lord of spam.... until recently that is...

now I just eat apples because they are faster to eat