Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2003, 03:33 AM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
Seasoned adventurers of the Dale!

I'm curious as to the widespread opinion of when the best time is to start the quests from HoW by entering that little previously locked hut in Kuldahar.
Is it possible to start doing them right from the start, or is it much too difficult? Perhaps I should find out for myself, but don't wish to get bogged down if it proves to be too hard. I've just finished the Severed Hand (fantastic mission and plot here) and are now up to Dorn's Deep, chapter four which I remember being very tedious with the respawning ettins and myconids.
Is trying out the HOW quests now too early? [img]smile.gif[/img]

I'm keen as a feverish beserker to find out whats new but don't wish to be slaughtered in the process! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
CerebroDragon
---+UDIC+---
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 06:42 AM   #2
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

I personally do HoW after exiting from the Glacier. It is convenient to exit the area and come back to it to enter Lower Dorn's Deep.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:34 AM   #3
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

I've done it after collecting all six badges and also before Dorm's Deep after exiting the glacier. Like Dundee I actually perfer doing it just after exiting the glacier.

[ 03-11-2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 01:27 PM   #4
Charlak The Axeman
The Magister

you have to be at least level 13, oh by the way i always do it when i have completed iwd as the end of the expansion is very hard and you need the experience and levels to defeat your foes
Old 03-11-2003, 04:58 PM   #5
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Actually, you only have to be level 9 or better to gain access to HoW. [img]smile.gif[/img] Pratically speaking, Lvl 11 or better is recommended. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I usually start HoW either after all six badges OR at the start of lower Dorn's deep. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2003, 10:20 AM   #6
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Cheers guys...

I decided to go with the 'after obtaining the six badges' idea, but methinks I might have stumbled upon a bug in Lonelywood...bear with me now and see if I'm right!

I started HoW just an hour ago, and have just finished doing basic explorations of Lonelywood. I went to the Inn and had a nice little ale with that dwarf fellow (name escapes me!) who was almost killed - according to the game, he is meant to reveal the way to the Barbarian camp (as in the 'your map has been updated' type deal)

Anyhow *sigh* I think I've spoken to everyone in town - but I can't leave it! The side of the map doesn't reveal any terrain on the world map thus imprisoning me in this little crammed in hamlet. Help!

I hope to solve my own problem by just wandering around more, but if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it heaps. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cheers all,
CerebroDragon

The moment
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Old 03-21-2003, 10:31 AM   #7
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

oops, a dodgy bit of editing on my part there...(the moment?)

Perhaps I should get some sleep...but nooooo, I shall resist it and find the answer to this strange conundrum!

Whilst I'm typing here, I'll just blab more RPGness off the top of my head. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Did anyone notice the Bard's Tale references in IWD?
Here's a couple:
Gerth's Equipment Shoppe (Good Ol' Garth from BT!)
and now the song that Murdaugh sings in HoW: It almost rips some lines straight out of the intro poem in the original Bard's Tale. Furthermore, his quest for the ice rose reminds me of Lucencia, from Bard's Tale III, a gorgeous dungeon for plot and prose to be sure! Too loose to be considered a reference? Maybe, but it definitely gave me some rainbow nostalgia!

Anymore? [img]smile.gif[/img]
There probably is, but I can't think of any right now in a hazy sleepiness...
Grrr, barbarian camp where art thou!?
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Old 03-21-2003, 12:38 PM   #8
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

CerebroDragon did you find the exit from the map yet. If you havn't It should be just above the Undertakers little shanty hut, upper east side.

The ice rose subquest is one of my favorite side quest in the game. Just to read the words of the song is nice.

[ 03-21-2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 01:05 AM   #9
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

Pritchke:

Yes, I'd found that just after I'd met the ever so talkative Purvis, the grave digger. This is where the bug comes into it!

I try to leave the screen, but I get an empty world map! There's nothing to click on to! I'm trying to do this after already having spoken to the chap who is meant to reveal the camp for you on the map! What could be wrong?

I had a faint suspicion it could be caused by the fact that I've not completed IWD yet, but the stories from you guys that have done HoW just after getting the six badges would make me doubt this was the case.

At any rate, its me bonkers being able to walk around Lonelywood and not be able to do much else!

Maybe I'll try talking to everyone just one more time....otherwise it could be back to Kuldahar for me

Hope someone can assist me with this problem!

Dreary dungeons,
CerebroDragon
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Old 03-22-2003, 01:28 AM   #10
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

Errr...gee, I seem to have fixed my own problem!

How embarrassing! The game never prompted me to insert the HoW cd after leaving Kuldahar initially, but I decided to try booting with that cd instead. The map has now revealed itself and everything is on its proper course.
I'm in for a nice rainy day full of adventuring! Yay!

Without further adieu then - I want to see what this Mead Hall is like. [img]smile.gif[/img]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj