Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2003, 07:24 PM   #11
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Right on pritchke! D&D and AD&D are counter-intuitive. D&D isn't. It used to be:

High AC = Bad
Low THACO = Good

Now with 3rd Ed D&D (dropping the Advanced bit), the reverse is true. You'll see this new version in IWD2, but for now Xero, use the simple formula above.

Now its:

Low AC = Bad
High THACo = Good

(It may not be called THACO any longer, but the principle still applies.)

Remember, that a "+" is a positive value, so the +5 sword pritchke was talking about is good because the positive modifier, lowers the actual statisitic. In this case your THACO. Don't worry, you'll get it. Probably just in time to switch over to 3rd Ed, and unlearn everything you've done! As its a positive value, it will improve whatever is being modified. So if it is better as a low value, the modifier will make it lower. Hope that helps Xero, and have a look at your other statistics, not just your Str, Int etc. You'll know what equipment to buy, keep etc, and what to sell on according to these figures.

[ 01-27-2003, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]
Old 01-27-2003, 07:35 PM   #12
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Wasn't it the wise Yoda who said

"You must unlearn everything you have learned"

Or something along those lines. Maybe I should get IWD2 next but my current games still have so much replay value, and it will only confue me.
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2003, 08:15 PM   #13
Wumpspawner
Manshoon

Well, this is my first attempt at soloing any of these games. I haven't the brass to attempt soloing it on hard. I've never played any of these games at hard, yet. I'll get there... Small steps.

I'm currently in the beginning of the Vale. Probably won't get much farther until this weekend. Work sucks, cuts deeply into my game time.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:36 PM   #14
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by pritchke:
Maybe I should get IWD2 next but my current games still have so much replay value, and it will only confue me.
There's a pseudo version of 3rdEd rules for IWD by Grog here. Haven't tried 'em yet, so I can't give feedback about it. Should be good though, as this is the home of the 'Winter's Bane' mod.

Edit: If you've used them, let us know guys!

[ 01-27-2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]
Old 02-05-2003, 07:39 AM   #15
Stratos
Vampire

I´m currently playing solo with a half-elven ranger/cleric on Hard and it´s going Smoooothly.Just entered Dragons Eye.

BTW, I never had any problem with the Yuan-Ti spellcasters(Yuan-Ti Priests). All the need is a slingstone between their eyes to abandon their feeble spellcasting.
But that was in Normal, maybe it´s different on Hard.
Old 02-25-2003, 12:06 PM   #16
Jizumonkey

Thanks for hint about the ring of free action...killed Orrick to obtain that and it is totally a must.
I got an 8th level ranger to the lizard men caves and i recommend anyone soloing to make your characters racial enemy lizard men...well worth the experience for how easy (with mods) it is to kill them and also they have gold [img]smile.gif[/img] you can stand around like i did just getting exp and compared to other areas of the game, wandering monsters are frequent and often number three or more in their groups...GREAT
The only thing i really suffer with is resting for long periods (16 days +/-) but is this anything to bother about?
Old 02-25-2003, 01:39 PM   #17
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

You killed Orrick? Dudeeee, you may have gotten the Ring of Free Action, but you lost out on a LOT of good items. Like a belt that confers permanent Blur on the wearer( -3 AC, +1 Saving Throw Bonus), an amulet that grants physical resistances( +5% to all), a good thief belt, a cloak for *GASP!* Rangers that boost your AC by a factor of -2, etc... not to mention the lost scrolls and the quest related to him.

On a side-note... what is a Ranger doing going around whacking innocent shopkeepers? If you were an evil Fighter, it would have been more reasonable. Unless you are one of those ultra pureclassed powergamers. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 06:07 PM   #18
Jizumonkey

I am a Chaotic / Neutral but admitadely did suffer from a moment of pure greed [img]smile.gif[/img]
Imagine doing the game without it!!! Surely not possible? Even the early levels in Kresselacks tomb i got stung a couple of times (paralyzed) and killed within 10 seconds...kinda ruined it so you ask me is it worth it? Answer:yes
As for the exp...i killed more lizard men!

Edit:A big sorry to Weenog who only got smashed coz he attacked me...there was no monetary gain to be made by mashing him but it's too late...my apologies to his family [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-26-2003, 06:35 AM: Message edited by: Jizumonkey ]
Old 03-02-2003, 05:00 PM   #19
Dragonshadow
Quth-Maren

Never soloed anything, I ought to try...
Dragonshadow

aka Loc der Graf, Quillruke
Dragonshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 09:32 PM   #20
Zintha
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I beated Heart of Winter and Trials of Luremaster with my half-elf Fighter/Druid. (a'la Jaheira)It was enjoyable. She definitely rocked. And I rolled her stats with best out of 3 system.
Two fights I found very hard ones: Yxunomei, because I didn't have any +3 weapon. Ermm, well except +1 sling with 5 +2 bullets. She fell in first of them after my spells runned out. Other fight I recall tough and also made me frustrated and almost quit was Luremaster. I had to reload that fight 14 times, before I got lucky.
Lol, IIRC I had to make 3 seelling trips for the equipment that I found. That's kinda sick...

Anyway, I recommend soloplay in HoW! It's almost as fun as in BG2.
Zintha is offline   Reply With Quote