Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2003, 07:32 PM   #1
The Cavalier
Manshoon

I have a cavalier, and as a kit they are immune to fear, I think. But, when I fight dragons, I often come down with panic (usually after their wing attack or whatever it is that knocks you back). What is panic, how is it different from fear, and how can I prevent it.

Also as a cavalier I have the remove fear ability, is this any use in the heat of a battle?
The Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2003, 07:33 PM   #2
drewal
Drow Warrior

Remove fear can be used prior to battle to make non-cavaliers immune to fear effects as well.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:34 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

That is odd? Cavaliers are immuned to all forms of fear, even panic. If there is one thing I have never seen, it is a Cavalier with a yellow circle beneath his/her feet.

Sounds like you have a bug.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 08:04 AM   #4
Vedran
Lord Soth

Panic=fear+berserk
Vedran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2003, 06:35 PM   #5
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Perhaps Cavaliers are only immune to magical fear.

Magical Fear = Horror, Spook, Wand of Fear, Dragon Fear, Symbol: Fear, etc.

Normal Fear = I'm almost dead, most of my party members are dead, I'm only a Level 9 character trying to kill Firkraag, and he's Barely Injured and laughing at me. (See "Khalid" in BG1)
Old 01-14-2003, 09:21 PM   #6
The Cavalier
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
That is odd? Cavaliers are immuned to all forms of fear, even panic. If there is one thing I have never seen, it is a Cavalier with a yellow circle beneath his/her feet.

Sounds like you have a bug.
Well, it gives him the fear icon, but he gets right back up and goes after the dragon. and there is no yellow circle under him. (I think I mighta seen a red one... maybe that is berserk?)

Panic=fear+berserk

Maybe this is why he gets back up and goes after the dragon? Red circle means berserk, right?

So, How can I prevent panic?

[ 01-14-2003, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: The Cavalier ]
The Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 01:09 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Cavalier:
Well, it gives him the fear icon, but he gets right back up and goes after the dragon. and there is no yellow circle under him. (I think I mighta seen a red one... maybe that is berserk?)
Panic=fear+berserk
Maybe this is why he gets back up and goes after the dragon? Red circle means berserk, right?
So, How can I prevent panic?
Ah... then tis not fear that struck your Cavalier, but a Charm spell. Two very different things. Charm spells basically means your enemies take control of your Cavalier.

If you have ToB installed, Cavaliers gain immunity to Charm spells as well, but for now, wear an item that confers immunity to Charm, or cast protective spells like Chaotic Commands.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2003, 04:08 PM   #8
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

One thing I've noticed is that things like Fear and Charm can play second fiddle to your characters' AI. For instance, I like to leave my characters on Standard Attack (shooting the bad guys is always a good thing), and these are some of the things I've seen happen:

* Sent my Negative-Plane-Protected PC against some Vampires, and saw him fail his Save against their Domination. He is now Hostile to the rest of the party, but he couldn't see any of them, so his AI took over and he started bashing the Vampires instead, who just stood there and let him do it. Easy way to kill Vampires, but you get no EXP for it. I Reloaded & gave him the Helm of Charm Protection.

* Sent Keldorn against some Drow, who managed to hit him with a Symbol: Fear. He's got the "Panic" icon in his portrait, the circle under his feet is yellow, yet he's still running around bashing Drow. Maybe his Inquisitor kit converted the "Morale Failure: Panic" into "Morale Failure: Berserk?"
Old 01-15-2003, 06:11 PM   #9
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by SixOfSpades:

Normal Fear = I'm almost dead, most of my party members are dead, I'm only a Level 9 character trying to kill Firkraag, and he's Barely Injured and laughing at me. (See "Khalid" in BG1)
LOL! Heh heh so true SixOfSpades in my BG1 game almost every difficult fight that bloody Khalid would have a morale failure it annoyed me so much in the end I dumped him and Jaheria for Branwen and Kivan! Still he's not quite as bad as those poor panicked Xvarts or gibbrelings...