Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2001, 08:36 PM   #21
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
What the hell happend to my font?
LOL! Looks like something didn't get 'turned off' from your quote.

Edit: Yep! You are missing the first [ b ] signifier as well as the < font color = white > (no spaces)

[This message has been edited by DragonMage (edited 10-21-2001).]
Old 10-21-2001, 08:37 PM   #22
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Kaz...you are actually the only diagnosed person I know of.
I have never really known anyone in person with this hardship.
I am glad for this because when kids are in school, they can be mean...and I am afraid that I would have been one of those people to have laughed...
but I am older, and now a parent, and things are put into new perspectives for me.
I would be ashamed to associate myself with you, had I been a taunter.
Luckily, I was not given the opportunity to make that horrible choice.

------------------

3rd Member of the Ancient OHF
Diamond Ranger of the ALSB (secretarial position & Ambassador)
Father of the wicked but cute child known as MaryBeth

Padre de una niña bien traviosa pero guapa
---------------------
Aisukuríimu ga tabetái desu.
Old 10-21-2001, 08:43 PM   #23
J.J.
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
...is International Stuttering Awareness Day. I would like to use this day to make you aware of how unconsciously most of you use one of humanity's great gifts - speech. I would like you to spend a moment to dwell ....
I do not say this only for me, but for all stutterers who have had their life made difficult by the ignorance of people who do not stutter. I hope to change that, even if the change is small.
Thank you for your attention.

*steps off soapbox*

Thank you for reminding me. The speech pathology professor in the Speech Comm. dept. at Montana State U. is partially deaf, and one of the projects he started was called the 'Theatre of Silence' - a performance troupe of mostly deaf/mute students who toured internationally on several grants and fundraising. By any chance, have you heard of them?
During this week, the dept. head would have one meeting that was in NOTHING but sign language. People were bugging poor Jack and his senior students to distraction the week before, brushing up on our neglected ASL. LOL - long time ago - thanx for the happy memories your post recalled for me.

------------------
Amanda's Dad-Best Damn Job, Period.

Official Pin-Up Girl Massager of the O.L.D. C.O.O.T.S. Clan
To Err is Human To Forgive Divine, However Neither is U.S. Marine Corps Policy.
Old 10-21-2001, 09:40 PM   #24
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Re-re-really? T-t-t-time t-to g-g-go a-a-around s-s-s-s-peaking l-l-like th-th-this th-th-then.

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 10-21-2001, 09:44 PM   #25
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Uh I think I posted before reading the whole thread..No offence intended in my last post to anyone here with a speech impediment of course..err..

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 10-22-2001, 10:31 AM   #26
Kaz
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

I will pointedly ignore Lifetime's first post in this thread.
BUMP
Old 10-22-2001, 10:57 AM   #27
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I used to stutter for a long time, but fortunatly there is a therapy here.
You can be cured permanently in the Del Ferro institute in Amsterdam. Its the only place in the world so i guess im pretty lucky to be Dutch.
Its very expensive and it requires a huge amount of willpower. But Kaz, i know what your going through and maybe you should consider this. And hey, if you want to talk about it, my email is available. I have never known anyone who stuttered and luckily i had a very nice class and friends so it didnt really matter that much but i can imagine how awfull it is to some people.

------------------

Those who watch their backs meet death from the front- Dreamer128 Demonslayer of the OHF.

Paladin of the order, first bodyguard of Lady Lioness and defender of Castle Kerhelm

[This message has been edited by Dreamer128 (edited 10-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dreamer128 (edited 10-22-2001).]
Old 10-22-2001, 10:59 AM   #28
Neb
Account deleted by Request

I've never known anyone who stuttered, except for a cousin of mine who stutters a bit sometimes when he tries to speak fast.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:25 AM   #29
Kaz

Um... Dreamer128, could you tell me more about that therapy?
Because in my experience and in what I have learned about stuttering, there currently is no way to "cure" stuttering. There are numerous therapies that allow you to speak more fluently (I am an avid supporter of the Van Riper method, for instance) but even if you manage to reduce your stuttering to almost 0, you are still talking using a technique. It also requires a strong amount of willpower (I have tried several techniques, among others the Pull-Out technique. It worked very well, but - I didn't practice enough and after a while I "crashed" back into my normal speech).
And to anybody who talks about hypnotism - please. All the experts I have read agree on this - hypnotism works very very well short-term, but not at all long-term. If you know somebody who disagrees with this, please tell me. And another thing about hypnotism - its claims that it can "permanently cure" stuttering do NOT help the image of stutterers, as they then sometimes have to deal with remarks like "Why haven't you done the [Insert name here] therapy yet? In that case, it's your own fault you stutter" (exaggerated to make my point).
Also, to you who enquired, it is perfectly normal to stutter occasionally. Everybody stutters up to (I think) 2% of the words or so. If you stutter on more than 2% of the words and - IMPORTANT MENTIONED THIS IN OTHER THREAD - you experience pressure build-up, only in the vocal cords in the early stages but later spreading to chest, face, arms, hands etc. - you should go see a doctor, you are probably a stutterer. I think normal stutterers stutter between 2% and 20% of the time, the worst I met had - seriously - over 50% when he was nervous.
Any more information wanted? I think this is all on the sites I posted, as well.
Old 10-22-2001, 03:18 PM   #30
Kaz

Bump