Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2001, 10:49 PM   #1
G'kar

Although there have been only two episodes, any comments on the new Star Trek show? I put on my spock costume for the first episode
I like it so far. The usual Trek "chessiness and clique" doesn't out shine a promising cast worthy of development. I could do without the Bryan Adams theme music...Wheew, who thought that up? Well It does succeed in accenting the point that this Trek show is a bit different than the ones before. Humans truly seem puny in relation to the vast galaxy they are for the first time stepping into. And the second episode had a few cool creepy "lets just go back to earth" scenes. Well done. Its worth having wednsday nights off from work to me.

Old 10-03-2001, 11:55 PM   #2
Ziroc

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
Although there have been only two episodes, any comments on the new Star Trek show? I put on my spock costume for the first episode
I like it so far. The usual Trek "chessiness and clique" doesn't out shine a promising cast worthy of development. I could do without the Bryan Adams theme music...Wheew, who thought that up? Well It does succeed in accenting the point that this Trek show is a bit different than the ones before. Humans truly seem puny in relation to the vast galaxy they are for the first time stepping into. And the second episode had a few cool creepy "lets just go back to earth" scenes. Well done. Its worth having wednsday nights off from work to me.

Yes, the themesong is frigging annoying!! must go!

Where are my quantum torpedoes? or ablative armor hull plating?
No more Holodecks -- that is a good thing though.

I'm not as big a trek person as I used to be, but I'm giving "E" a chance..

------------------
Ziroc™
Ironworks Webmaster
www.tgeweb.com/ironworks

Old 10-04-2001, 01:40 AM   #3
Djinn Raffo
Ra

I only saw the last half hour or so of the first episode and missed the second one tonite cause it was Hockey Night in Canada (no contest).

But i do plan on trying to watch as many as possible.

My comments on the last half hour: I thought it seemed like it could be good.
The treks do seem to get better as the actors learn how to play the characters a bit better, or the writers learn to write them a bit them a bit better, take your pick.

I'm intrigued about the song though now???
Old 10-04-2001, 03:40 AM   #4
Har'oloth
Manshoon

Yes the title song is really annoying!!!!!!

For the rest it is okay!

------------------
Old 10-04-2001, 03:45 AM   #5
sageridder
Drizzt Do'Urden

Seems pretty good,But I am getting tired of finally realy getting behind the latest one and having it ended.Just wondering are they back far enough that K'las might be in an episode?

------------------
Trust is indeed a shiny jewel,set in the stone of friendship.And much like any other stone can be use to crush the skulls of those unsuspecting.To clear the path for me to claim my rightfull place as master of all I survey.

..........O,_
......_.L.=\_:
~~(_)==(_)

[This message has been edited by sageridder (edited 10-04-2001).]
Old 10-04-2001, 04:52 PM   #6
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by G'kar:
Hmmm...so if I say that I like the theme song, will I get smacked with large sticks? LOL...Although, I do have to admit that I would have preferred to hear something by Jerry Goldsmith, I think(the current theme) does its job pretty well.

The cast is defenitely awesome. Its funny, when I say Scott Bakula cast as Capt Archer, I was thinking to myself...oh great, its going to be Quantum Leap meets Next Gen. I'm so glad to be disappointed. Other than a bit of stiffness at the end of the premiere, he does a pretty awesome job.

I also like the fact that the rest of the cast is basically a bunch of unknowns. That way noone has any preconceptions for what their characters should be. Good acting all around. Even T'Pal(the Vulcan) manages to come across believable. And damn is she hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 'Bio-Gel' rubdown sequence, while totally unnecessary to plot development, was still pretty spiffy.

The humor is also well played.

When they are arming to go rescue the Klingon in the premiere. "These are the new "Phase Pistols". They have two settings, Stun, and Kill. It would be best not to confuse them"
And then, on the base, Archer zaps the Sulibon..."well, Stun seems to work."
Cracked me up!

As for special effects, isn't it nice that they have finally joined the times. One of the biggest disappointments for me in the new shows was their continued use of models for the ship base. They would add CGI effects, but that always spoiled the believability for me. Now everything is CGI and it rocks.

My only real complaint is the one thing that all of the Star Trek shows seem to be guilty of. They completely ignore their own timeline. Going to Kronos in the first episode? WHAT?!?!? Traditional looking Klingons??? WTF!!! According to canon the first contact with the Klingon came when a Federation First Contact ship moved into Klingon space, said something to the effect of "Hi, we come in peace" and the Klingons went "Hmmm...BLAM!!!!!" and blew them out of space. That's what precipitated the first war between The Federation and the Empire. Plus, does anyone remember how they explained the cheesy makeup from the original series? Those were Klingons who had been genetically modified to look more human so they could infiltrate the Federation. No human had seem what a Klingon really looked like until Next Gen.

Oh, and while I'm ranting...what's up with the Vulcans? Being flustered and frustrated by the Humans? T'Pal barely suppressing her irritation with Archer? Being grateful??? Again, according to Rodenberry's own timelines the Vulcan's had been practicing their brand of non-emotionalism for a few thousand years before they even MET the humans. So I doubt a measly 30 or 40 years of interaction is going to undo millennia of training.

Anyway...overall, I still loved the show. I was so disappointed by the hideousness that was Voyager that I was all set to hate Enterprise too. I'm happy to be proved wrong.

------------------
"In Memorium of those who are gone, and all those that bought our freedom with their hearts blood!"

"May the Colors of Liberty never run"
Old 10-04-2001, 04:59 PM   #7
Djinn Raffo
Ra

Great post Nachtrafe!
Yeah i noticed that with the Vulcan as well in the bit that i saw.

And i also thought of the imho brilliant Deep Space Nine Episode where it was the Trouble with Tribbles all over again. And Worf said about the klingons who looked different: "We do not speak of it" or something along those lines.

[This message has been edited by Djinn Raffo (edited 10-04-2001).]
Old 10-04-2001, 05:38 PM   #8
Blade
Emerald Dragon

AAAAAc Enterprise has started allready?!?! Where have i been? Thanks for the heads up i will defenatly watch it. I a have enjoyed all the star trech series yes including voyager. Looking fullward to watching Enterprise.

------------------

All blades cut, be they made from metal or wood, but the sharpest and deadliest blade is the one of knowledge.

An Archmage of the HADB
Old 10-04-2001, 05:45 PM   #9
Nachtrafe
Red Wizard of Thay

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
Great post Nachtrafe!
Yeah i noticed that with the Vulcan as well in the bit that i saw.

And i also thought of the imho brilliant Deep Space Nine Episode where it was the Trouble with Tribbles all over again. And Worf said about the klingons who looked different: "We do not speak of it" or something along those lines.

[This message has been edited by Djinn Raffo (edited 10-04-2001).]
ROFL!!! Yep, I saw that episode and I laughed so hard I hurt myself! Worf looked soooooooooo goofy!

BTW...thanks.

[This message has been edited by Nachtrafe (edited 10-04-2001).]
Old 10-05-2001, 10:50 AM   #10
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziroc:

No more Holodecks -- that is a good thing though.

I never understood the holodeck thing. I mean, the thing is so friggin' dangerous! Where's the health & safety rep for cryin' out loud! - It's always going wrong and putting people in danger! (at least the episodes I've seen)

I haven't seen the latest offering, but Scott Bakula??? I read that right, didn't I?

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Epona of The Laughing Hyenas
Proud winner of the 'Most Useless Post 250 Has Ever Seen' Award 2001. "I'd just like to thank my friends and family, without whom none of this would have been possible..."