Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2002, 08:37 AM   #41
Tancred
White Dragon

Lots of things are changing these days. I know it looks like both Lizards and le Brets are getting a few new trooptypes; Saurus Cold One Riders for Lizzards, Peasants for Bretonnia (yokels carrying pitchforks and stuff). Should be good.
Old 01-23-2002, 08:42 AM   #42
Tancred
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:

But we found Bretonnians rather dull because of the lack of variety. When compared to the empire, which currently have 6-7 different kinds of core troops alone, Bretonnians made us feel pretty stifled..

Now UNDEAD for that matter..
Skeleton bitz and Vampires! Need I say more?

Mind you, don't forget that the empire's core troop 'choices' are just the same men with different weapons. Halberdiers, Spearmen, Handgunners, Archers, Crossbowmen...

As for the Undead, yeah, fair cop. Only beaten them once or twice out of a bazillion battles. Basic Bretonnian tactical doctrine states -

1) you manouvere and charge.
2) you kill the enemy and they run away.
3) you run them down.
4) you go back to point 1.

Against the Undead, that plan seems to founder around point 2.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:16 AM   #43
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Talthyr Malkaviel:
Hello! So no-one here plays WQ, Necromunda or Blood Bowl?
They are truly great games, each on a par with Warhammer, just all different.

I play WQ with the Imperial Noble, I have an Undead team in Blood Bowl, a Scavvy gang in Necromunda, and a Rebel grot mob in Gorkamorka.

They are all excellent games, some of them much more playable than Warhammer. Gorkamorka especially, the continuity of between matches is amazing and you really build up character in the people in your army. More so than Necromunda due to the painboy mods you can make IMO. I once got a Morka mob to retirement stage in a local shop campaign. They really rocked... And I only had three vehicles with very few mods - all the points went in the troops who were practically god like due to experience. It still comes out now and again to laugh in the face of opposition.

Also, Lifetime, with reference to the skeletons... that was my point - it was an extremely bad idea. The idea had been to create an indestructable unit as with the Standard of Sheilding they had 3+ saves from missile fire (I was playing a combined force of Empire and High Elves so I expected a lot of fire power coming my way). This is combined with Raise Dead to resurrect the unlucky few who fail their saves to make the ultimate indestructable unit. However I had forgotten that all of that would mean they moved so slowly, Result:

A unit that cannot be destroyed, yet cannot reach the enemy. Very useful.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 01-23-2002, 09:35 AM   #44
Bokken
Baaz Draconian

Damn I never got into the Warhammer myself. Just WH40K.
Most of you probably aren't interested in them but in case anyone is curious I have Dark Eldar 5,000pts, Chaos Space Marines, just over 3,000pts and Orcs 2,000pts.
Have never really played too much myself though. Apart from a few very small games at the GW store I only ever played about 10 reasonable games in peace at home before it turned to just collecting and preparing armies for battles that were never to take place. So now I have a hell of a lot of painted and unpainted figures sitting all over doing nothing. Who knows though. Maybe one day they might just come out again and fight some glorious battles [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-23-2002, 09:58 AM   #45
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Bokken:
Damn I never got into the Warhammer myself. Just WH40K.
Most of you probably aren't interested in them but in case anyone is curious I have Dark Eldar 5,000pts, Chaos Space Marines, just over 3,000pts and Orcs 2,000pts.
Have never really played too much myself though. Apart from a few very small games at the GW store I only ever played about 10 reasonable games in peace at home before it turned to just collecting and preparing armies for battles that were never to take place. So now I have a hell of a lot of painted and unpainted figures sitting all over doing nothing. Who knows though. Maybe one day they might just come out again and fight some glorious battles [img]smile.gif[/img]

I used to play 40K a lot and I had an extremely large Orc army. They are so bizzare and weird to play. My speciality was an army based almost entirely on stealth and artilery (Aaaaah! God! sp?). I played with a Blood Axe Clan army so I was allowed Imperial vehicles without targeters. This means that you can have the combiation of madboyz in chimeras supported by Demolisher tanks. And of course all the normal orc guns like the Squig Catapult and the Smasha Gun. Just so comical...
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Old 01-24-2002, 10:21 AM   #46
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I dont really understand the point of Saurus Cold One riders (it makes sense tactically..harder than skinks, higher leadership..) but the lizardman fluff says Skinks are the only ones capable of such a thing..

And the thing about the Undead is never having to worry about break tests, panic tests, fear, terror, stupidity..

They'll take any charge in the game, and with a large enough regiment, they'll defeat any other unit in the game by sheer force of numbers. The only way to truely unravel an Undead army is to take out the leaders and the characters who hold it together.. A point my Skaven opponent NEVER gets, because while he can destroy entire regiments of skeletons with Plague Monks and the like (Plague Monks suck by the way. In all the games I had, the Plague Monks always broke and fled against my skeletons in just one round of combat) but he never issues challenges to my Vampires(which are dedicated enemy killers). Result: Vampire runs amok, slaughtering ratmen by the dozen, general cowers at the back of the unit because he refused a challenge, then the general and the entire unit run away and are pursued by the vampire, destroying them.
I love my undead