Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2002, 03:58 PM   #11
Ezekial
The Magister

I used to play regularly, Warhammer, 40k, Epic, BB, Man O'War...

Still got all my stuff in loft somewhere! lol

Anyone else heard about the Warhammer online they're developing?
Old 01-17-2002, 04:08 PM   #12
Legolas
Jack Burton

Like Sigmar said, I play too [img]smile.gif[/img]
Got lots of Skaven, and I'm building an army of High Elves now (once my models have passed the final correction-phase in the painting, I'll have over 1000 points, and then I can start playing them too.
Plus, I have a tiny collection of orcs and empire and a single chaos warrior, plus an old zombie dragon
Oh, and my Skaven chieftain on a giant scorpion which looks pretty cool [img]smile.gif[/img]

And to top it all off, I have a natural dislike for anything with a basic movement value of only 3

As for Dark Omen, it's fun to play, even if it's not quite warhammer. You should give it a try
Old 01-17-2002, 04:12 PM   #13
Lifetime
Red Dragon

quote:
Originally posted by Barry the Sprout:
Dark Omens? Its tough, and it bears no real relation to the board game. Good for a laugh though, there isn't much like it around really.

I play undead at present too. I made the massive mistake the other day of having an army made entirely of a massive skeleton unit. would have been fine as they are hard to kill (or at least permanently kill) but I gave them heavy armour and sheilds... moving 2" a turn... no marching... bad bad idea. Lost the game in my usual fit of hopelessness.

LOL! Heavy Armor is generally a bad idea for disposable troops
I'm playing a massively skeleton army myself! I just dont like the more fleshy zombies and ghouls, so my entire army is made up of 3 20-strong skeleton units backed up with Wight calvary and grave guard, fitting the skeletal theme. The only fleshy units in my army are my manticore (no longer valid in new rules, I know), dire wolves and my vampires.

I've got one skeleton regiment with hand weapons and shields, one with spears and shields and one with great weapons and light armour (this one is also no longer valid, but I like it anyway)
Thats about 60 skeletons.. [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]
Old 01-17-2002, 05:44 PM   #14
Tancred
White Dragon

Bretonnians are my babies. They've been my trusted army for six years, and I just love them. None of that messing about with war machines. Nosirree. Buy shedloads of knights, point them all at your enemy's hardest units and let 'em go. The Lady of the Lake will see 'em through.Also building a Dwarf army on the side (to tide me over until the NEw Bretonnians arrive) and a High Elf chariot army (Tiranoc). More as it develops.

Oh yeah, and I work for Games Workshop.

Tancred

NOTE: My online name is not a reference to Tancred Duc de Quenelles of Bretonnia, but to Duke Tancred, a famous french knight of King Richard's Crusade. Honest.
Old 01-17-2002, 05:46 PM   #15
Durwyn
Elminster

Hmm now I'm interested in trying this Warhammer game, after taking a good look at the site I think its really interesting. After all it is the grandfather game of all D&D, I guess hehe.

So where do I get this game? Or Download it? hehe
Old 01-17-2002, 08:22 PM   #16
andrewas
Harper

quote:
Originally posted by Durwyn:
Hmm now I'm interested in trying this Warhammer game, after taking a good look at the site I think its really interesting. After all it is the grandfather game of all D&D, I guess hehe.

So where do I get this game? Or Download it? hehe

uh d&d is older the GW. i think. GW started in '84 I think, and d&d was ... (guesses) '75? there or there abouts anyway.

to get the game youll find it a really hard download, white metal does not pass through the telephone network very well. youd have to go to the GW website and find your closest store. if your in england therel be one within 20 miles most probably. scotland is a little worse, and the rest of the world i dont know about. americas not bad for stores.

on to my army:

lizardmen, all the way. (them and the mighty Blood Angels, but that 40k). i love em, all scales and natural armour. except for the slann "CANNON-MAGNET" mage "ARCHERY TARGET" prists, who keep dying.
this is because some of my regular opponents play a wood-elf/dwarf alliance. but theres nothing like casting tempest and removing every artillery pience in 40", so i guess its fair enough in the end.

havent been in a while - bg2 absorbing to much of my time, but i havent seen anything of this chainmail game. they do have a Lord of the Rings game now, which is apparently ace.
Old 01-17-2002, 10:10 PM   #17
Grand-Ranger
Galvatron

Location: Everywhere I wanna go its already where I am,cause I am already there
I never played it. I want too though, it looks cool. Bloody expensive though. I have looked at it lots, The Skaven look cool, and Wood Elfs too.

Probley the only reason I havent got it (besides its price) it that no one would play with me

I have also looked into DnD Chainmails game that simlar, WarHammer looks beter...
Old 01-17-2002, 10:23 PM   #18
GokuZool
Lord Ao

I used to collect both Warhammer and Warhammer 40k but it costs alot of money. You have to put it together and paint it and buy the paint and glue seperatly [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: GokuZool ]

Old 01-18-2002, 03:10 AM   #19
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I was supposed to have a game today and then come back and tell all of you how it went, but my opponent cancelled on me, saying he had to work. Guess he wanted to end my 2/2 winning streak
Note to Skaven players: Uber-powered characters DONT make up for a severe lack of troops [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

Durwyn, go to the GW site and look up the addresses for the GW stores in the USA. You can go to one of these stores and ask for a trial game to introduce you to basic game mechanics. These places are a mecca for GW stuff...

And Tancred..how does one sustain any interest at all in Bretonnians? Its just Knights, Knights and more Knights..They have 2 kinds of troops, Knights and Squires/man-at-arms.. In the previous edition, my friend and I bought the warhammer boxed set (the one with the lizards and the brets..I must say that the newest edition boxed set is a lot more worth the money), and I took the lizards while he took the brets. Both armies we found equally dull...
For two kids with practically no money to spend, having to blow tons of cash on a Slann Mage-Priest that NEVER holds itself together (the damn fat-assed frog on his damn big-ass throne is held by a bunch of pansies..its so heavy that the saurus warriors holding up the throne break and fall apart every time) and a bunch of Grail Knights/General on Hippogriff, ALL metal miniatures.. our interest died pretty fast, and we retreated back to 40k
Old 01-18-2002, 09:43 AM   #20
Legolas
Jack Burton

quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
Note to Skaven players: Uber-powered characters DONT make up for a severe lack of troops [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh3.gif[/img]

They sure don't (if you can even create those anymore, keeps getting harder and harder. But Plague priests can be pretty cool [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] ). Troops almost all the way, and some basic characters to lead the retreating armies back to Skavenblight

quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
And Tancred..how does one sustain any interest at all in Bretonnians? Its just Knights, Knights and more Knights..They have 2 kinds of troops, Knights and Squires/man-at-arms.. In the previous edition, my friend and I bought the warhammer boxed set (the one with the lizards and the brets..I must say that the newest edition boxed set is a lot more worth the money), and I took the lizards while he took the brets. Both armies we found equally dull...

Depends a lot on what yo look for in the game. Even though the Bretonnian armylist is pretty limited, they DO have a lot of background. If you invest a little time in the army, it can get quite interesting. One of my two regular oponnents (my father, the other's my brother with Orcs and Goblins, a slowly growing army of Vampire Counts, about 1000 points worth of Wood Elves and a handful of Dark Elves) collects the Bretonnians too, and it's certainly not seen as boring.
Me, I prefer to have a lot of troop choice. But even without that, the Bretonnians are pretty powerful.

quote:
Originally posted by Tancred:

NOTE: My online name is not a reference to Tancred Duc de Quenelles of Bretonnia, but to Duke Tancred, a famous french knight of King Richard's Crusade. Honest.

And there I was getting it all wrong [img]smile.gif[/img]
But I'll bet Tancred, Duc de Quenelles refers to Duke Tancred as well

Just wondering, which armylists are you all using now?
Those from the fifth edition books? Sixth? The ravening hordes?
Do we have others preferring even older books and rules?