Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2001, 06:26 PM   #11
Lavindathar
Harper

I disagree with a lot of you here.I have never been good,I have been in fights,and I have sometimes hurt people.Physically,and emotionally.

But I am English.I do not know the crimes this man has commit.But I disagree with the death sentence.It isn't a punishment.It is a way out.He should be made to suffer.Unconditional,no parole.He stays in a room until he dies.

There was an infamous case of a man getting hung in Britain in 1945.In 1999 they realised he wasnt guilty.The man was 21 when he died.He could stil be alive today.He lost 60 years of his life.It was wrong.

Another example,a man got sentenced to life in prison for murder.30 years later he got let off,as he didnt do it.What if they killed him?

I disagree with the death penalty,the man should be made to suffer.In a dark room,isolated,with nothing to do but think of the pain he has caused til the day he dies.

------------------
Old 06-10-2001, 06:40 PM   #12
Smoothbrain
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Unfortunately, staying in prison for life is not necesarily suffering. it just becomes a different type of life. Again ideally removing them from society will work if the system were ideal. But the system does not work, it favors the rich (big surprise there), the press has a say on who gets convicted and how fast they get convicted. you will soon all know i think the most evil thing out there is in fact the press. prime example that guy who was accused of the Atlanta olympics bombing.

------------------
Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. -- Wernher Von Braun
Old 06-10-2001, 06:49 PM   #13
Charean
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady Avalon:
I personally think he is getting off easy. He ended a lot of lives and ruined families. He is not even sorry for what he did and would not hesitate to do it again so maybe it's a good idea that he dies.

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly Lady Avalon. You are right. He is getting off too easy. But perhaps one day when our civilization evolves enough, we will deal with his lack of conscience better.

------------------

Defender for the Light -
Goodness knows there is a lot of Dark out there!! - Where are my matches?!?
Wandering Soul - Finding my life's calling is Bodhisattva
Looking for lost brain - I left it only for a moment....and there it goes... rolling under the table!!
Noticing that the Light has gotten further down a Dark Tunnel than expected... Time to get the Lantern... Knowing sooner or later - I will get to the End of this Tunnel to the Open Air once again...
Old 06-10-2001, 07:44 PM   #14
DawnChaser
Zhentarim Guard

Actually, I think there is some confusion as to what the states position in the matter is. The state has no interest (or shouldn't) in placating those hurt by his actions. The state is meting out "justice" and to say that he should be punished for his actions is a bit presumptive. The state is providing justice in the form of applying it's laws to the situation. The jury, and the law, provided for the death penalty, and the state is applying that decision.

I will not go into the gun issue except to say that if you place your life in the hands of someone else, expecting them to protect you, remember, very rarely will the police arrive in time to save you. But they will fill out the incident report.

"To protect and to serve? Who came up with that?"

------------------
DawnChaser aka Thanatos (Dispositioner of Souls)

Old 06-11-2001, 06:30 AM   #15
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by DawnChaser:

I will not go into the gun issue except to say that if you place your life in the hands of someone else, expecting them to protect you, remember, very rarely will the police arrive in time to save you. But they will fill out the incident report.
Just one comment, Dawnchaser: How come countries that DO NOT allow all and sundry of their citizens tocarry guns have a MUCH lower per capita rate of murder than countries that DO?

------------------

Old 06-11-2001, 06:40 AM   #16
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

i am totally for it. he causes massive pain (were talkin bout mcveigh, right?) and suffering, and should be killed. only the lethal injection is a bit too soft IMAO. i believe we should torture him to the extent he goes into shock, then dont treat him! put a bunch of tiny white-hot barbs into his skin all over his body, then slowly push them in. hell eventually go into shock from all the pain (my theory at least) and the medical offiocals there wont do anything about it. yes, i do realize im a very evil person for suggesting torture, but at least he knows hes gonna die!

------------------
I'll kidnap ya fer 100, reprogram ya fer 300, and kill ya fer 500! Oh come one! I'll throw in the killin' fer 250!
Old 06-11-2001, 07:06 AM   #17
Moiraine
Anubis

I am speaking here as a French, from what I personnally feel, and from I have read so far in newspapers and heard at the radio. I would like to add a few lines of thinking.

I personnally am against death penalty, mainly for the reasons Lavindathar has stated : what if you kill an innocent ?

Many people in France are less concerned about the fact that the guy will be killed, than about the fact that the execution will be PUBLIC. I am among them.

Some papers also say that the man was a lunatic, thus, as we believe in France, not totally responsible for his actions. What is the point of punishing someone if he doesn't understand what he did wrong and why he is punished ? As we see it, the man should be put into a center for lunatics, where he would get medical healing. Then, if the doctors succeed in curing him, he would get a new trial. Or stay there for life if he can't be cured.

Last point : Justice is NOT vengeance. Killing him will NOT make his victims come back to life. And killing him, in a way, makes the society not better than the man himself is. We in France have the case of a former Nazi (now a very old man), who have been recently condemned for crimes against humanity. He is more than 80, he never expressed any regret or apology for what he did. He will stay in jail until he dies. Killing him, as we feel, would put us at the same level as he. I personnally think that knowing that you won't go out of your cell until you die is a terrible punition. Maybe more terrible than a quick death.

Some say that public execution is to be understood as a way to remind people what they risk if they commit crimes, in an attempt to lower the crime rates. Does it work ? On that point, I have no opinion so far, but it makes me VERY uneasy.

------------------

The world is my oyster !
And now I have the knives to open it ...
Old 06-11-2001, 07:23 AM   #18
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Definately get the impression that this is going to go down to proximity. Natch, the closer you are to the crime the more severe penalty you will demand. However much I despise the death penalty there a few significant points about this act of terrorism compared to others that we are all (especially in Britain) more familiar with.

-Largest act of terrorism on US soil (Am I right with this?)
-Act committed by a single person, working alone (That was the result of the trial) - compare "typical" large group/militia terrorism
-Steadfast refusal to admit guilt, followed by the request for early death, followed by attempted appeal

compare the terrorism that we face in the UK, primarily focused on a single issue, committed by a small number of groups whose indivudual members cannot be identified.

To be honest I don't know whether I approve of the action or not - I think the crime warrents it, but it's too soon after the trial with too many unresolved issues.
What I do know is that I _completely_ disagree with victims (or their relatives) having any influence over the result of a trial, or determination of punishment.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:45 AM   #19
Gaelic
Elminster

1. This is not the first execution, just the first one in the federal system in 30 years.

2. He murdered 168 people, including 19 children, for nothing.

3. Being allowed to live and be smug about his actions is too good for him. He should be killed and sent on to hell as quickly as possible. It is where he belongs.

------------------
Gaelic
Old 06-11-2001, 07:52 AM   #20
antonius
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Gaelic:
2. He murdered 168 people, including 19 children, for nothing.

I've heard at least one person say that he achieved his goal - of highlighting hypocrisy and corruption within the US political/judicial systems. If nothing else we now know that the FBI aren't exactly the most trustworthy agency on the planet. And I'll state the obvious - I do not agree with or condone in ANY way with his actions.