Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2001, 08:07 PM   #1
Hayashi
Silver Dragon

I entered the main hall and got hit by an ambush. Those drow mages with their magic missiles are wicked!

I notice that they are magic resistant. Magic missiles don't work and neither does cloudkill I think (although the cloudkill works wonders against the neo orgs and orc elites, heh [img]smile.gif[/img] ).

What type of magic will be effective vs drow?
Old 11-12-2001, 10:02 PM   #2
Sir Jorlon
The Magister

None. If you have heard about drow, they are completely immune to Magic. You learn this in BGII, as you fight them occasionaly....(SPOILER or should i say, Wow, i love the city you go toSPOLIER ENDED)
In IWD though, you don't get the kick@$$ items like in SoA, anyway...
Old 11-13-2001, 04:45 AM   #3
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Hey Hayashi, so problems with the Drow? This area has had me going before, as the archers can get on top of most characters. Prot. from N.Missiles will work for that, and Shield for the Magic Missiles that the Drow cast. Watch out for the phase spiders that appear soon after you spot the bad guys. So...

Search out the area ahead with an invisible character (or try a thief). Once you spring the "trap", have a fighter(-type) positioned front and back of the rest of your party to take care of the spiders. After that, try fireballs and web to eliminate the mages. They'll make collateral damage anyway, so the orc's will suffer. Whilst you eliminate the archers, have your own missile troops disrupt the Drow until you can move into H-T-H and finish them off with the pointy end of your favourite satirical comment .

Hope that helps.
Old 11-13-2001, 05:58 AM   #4
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

I know i say this in almost any post but summon, summon, summon. Once the drow fighters are dead summon something like an elemental. Get it to absorb the damage from the drow mages. When they run out of spells they are, like all mages, sitting ducks. It can't hurt to let an archer follow that elemental too.
Old 11-13-2001, 09:13 AM   #5
Elif Godson
Dracolich

I flushed them out and made them come to me. The drow mages I
just picked off with crossbow and bow fire. Casualties on my
end were very limited.
Goodluck
Old 11-13-2001, 02:04 PM   #6
ronan
The Magister

I have to agree with the summon tactic. Let them burn out and then mop them up.