Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2001, 05:22 AM   #1
bjornm
Elite Waterdeep Guard

My IWD Manual says "For information on creating custom AI scripts please read the ScriptCompiler.doc located in the ScriptCompiler Directory located on CD 1." I can't find this Document or Directory on either Disk, or anywhere else. Can anyone point me in the right direction for help on creating Custom Scripts?Thank you,
-Bjorn
bjornm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 05:02 PM   #2
bjornm
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I would like to thank everyone who have been so helpful in my other posts. I wonder, however, if this question is so ridiculously simple and newbiesh that it doesn't deserve an answer. Maybe scripts are just really stupid. Alternately, perhaps this subject is somehow taboo, and I'll be receiving a cease & desist letter if I mention "Script Compiler" again. (script compiler) Just kidding, but I do wonder why this post has received no attention. Maybe I'll understand better when I install HoW. Oh well.

Cheers,
-Bjorn
PS Thanks again really. This board has been quite fun and helpfull.
Old 11-08-2001, 06:40 PM   #3
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Sorry, I think the boards have been a little quiet recently (I don't know why). As for scripts, you can tinker with them, but this stuff is more like Hex Editing, and is only really for the truly proficient or insanely brave. Either way, if you go to TeamBG's website, they have quite a few programs that allow you to develop new sound files; change graphics; animate and all sorts of evil [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Also, Arundor's Abode has some scripts on it, as well as .CHAR files to change your on-screen graphic i.e. you could be an orc or werewolf etc. That's about as far as my knowledge goes on this one. Hope that is some help though. (The sites are easy enough to find on a browser.)

BTW bjornm, there's no such thing as a newbie(-ish) question on this site. Just questions.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]

Old 11-08-2001, 11:54 PM   #4
bjornm
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank you sir. I wanted to say that I write with tongue firmly in cheek. I'm just not very good at translating irony to print. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Make no mistake, I am thouroughly enjoying IWD, I just wonder at the reference to it in the manual. If a compiler was included it would seem like a simple thing to cut-and-paste basic (preset) commmands for your characters. Did they decide to not include the compiler? Because, if they did, I can find no reference to it in the addendum to the manual in the readme file or anywhere at Interplay.

Just curious,
-Bjorn

I now go to check out this "TeamBG."
Old 11-09-2001, 01:40 PM   #5
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Quite right. I've had a look, and I can find no mention of it at all - aside from "see the ScriptCompiler.doc" reference. Possibly, they took it out because we would monkey with the system. Who knows. Plenty of people do that already, so that hasn't stopped anybody.

BTW have you downloaded Dalekeeper yet (a character editor that lets you fiddle with some of the details of your characters)? You can download it at mud-master. There's also a version for BG and BGII, if you're interested.
Old 11-10-2001, 04:54 PM   #6
bjornm
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Indeed. I downloaded DK right away. I wasn't about to a) spend hours clicking reroll, or b) take some character with a 3 CH and a 5 WIS. Dakekeeper is a sweet little program.

As far as scripts go, my research has lead me to believe that they included the compiler in BG but that it was defective. It required additional DLL files. Eventually TeamBG released a functional version but it's for BG. I believe Interplay (or whoever) decided not to include the buggy program and just never bothered to tell anyone.

I've tried the ScriptCompiler and, either I don't know what I'm doing (most likely) or, it doesn't work for IWD. I also downloaded something called a "Scriptor" from them. I believe I need to use ScriptCompiler to decompile a script and then use Scriptor to edit it and then back to Compiler to compile it. Unfortunately, the scripts are like BASIC IF/THEN commands, and I really don't feel like dealing with *that* right now. The game is fun enough without the hassle.

Cheers,
-Bjorn

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: bjornm ]

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: bjornm ]