Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2001, 05:29 PM   #1
bjornm
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just got IWD (w/out HoW) and haven't played D&D in 12 years (since the original AD&D rules). As I am just now building a party, a key piece of info I was wondering about is if IWD adhers to Level Restrictions (caps) for Race?
I know that's a dumb newbie question, but that's exactly what I am to this particular game.
Thanks for your help.
Cheers,
Bjorn
bjornm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 05:39 PM   #2
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

An xp cap does exist but it has nothing to do with race. So an elven fighter can get to the same level as a human one.
Old 11-05-2001, 05:40 PM   #3
Lord of Alcohol
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Hello Bjornm, theres no level restrictions for any race in IWD, or the BG series either. So pick whatever you want and get to crushing some skulls! Its a fun game, hope you enjoy it.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:06 PM   #4
bjornm
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Fantastic. Thanks all.
Old 11-07-2001, 05:13 AM   #5
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

The only thing to remember bjornm, as a fellow 1AD&Der, is that whilst demi-humans no longer have a level limit, the xp cap is designed with a single-class character in mind. So if you play a mulit-class, don't expect them to get anywhere near the same level.

BTW bjornm, make sure that you have HoW (and TotL) installed if you like the game. It's easier to play through all of them a one campaign then to import the characters. You get more items too, I believe. Give IWD a go, and if you like it, restart with all of the extra gorgeous, loveliness installed too!

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]

Old 11-07-2001, 05:43 AM   #6
bjornm
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thanks Lord Brass. I have been really enjoying this game so far, though I haven't gotten out of Easthaven yet (learning still). While getting the IWD 1.06 patch I came across another patch that purports to remove the XP cap. Will that circumvent the multiclass problem? Or is this just a gameplay issue?
I don't actually own HoW, and I assume I'd have to order it. I also take it that ToTL is a free download, but that you have to have HoW first? (I.e. ToTL won't work with IWD alone?) Is the "extra gorgeous, loveliness" worth the wait and/or the restart? Especially since I'm not very patient and will probably be deep into IWD by the time I get HoW?Just curious,
-Bjorn
Old 11-07-2001, 06:34 AM   #7
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

Get HoW. It's well worth it. Besides if you have it and install ToL, you wont have to worry about the exp cap because, iirc, then even multiclass people can go up to level 30 in each class.
Old 11-07-2001, 07:01 AM   #8
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Ha, ha! JR has answered the questions already. Yes bjornm, HoW and TotL are worth the wait. I was progressing into IWD (having bought it with HoW) before I really read the forums here and decided to stop and start again to capture all of the IceWind experience. There is some fantastic gear out there with the expansions installed, so treat yourself and take this first trip as a learning curve. Just think how you'll scream through those areas with your "ultimate" party on the restart!

Sorry. In answere to your second question about installation, as far as I'm aware you would need HoW to play TotL. You get to the latter via the former. Of course, if anyone knows any differently, please feel free to show me up in public [img]smile.gif[/img] .

[ 11-07-2001: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]

Old 11-07-2001, 08:50 PM   #9
SecretMaster
Apophis

Welcome! and as many people have said, there is no race limit. And congrats on getting the game, it leads you to many fine places in the Forgotten Realms, and gives you a taste of what the BG series is all about. P.S. Just for my sake, try to have a dwarf in ur party, cuz they rock. Preferbly a dwarven fighter or cleric.
SecretMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 06:32 PM   #10
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Come on SecretMaster, don't be shy (no pun intended). You know you should suggest a Dwarven Fighter/Cleric. Go on. You know you want to.