Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 01:52 PM   #1
Lymond
Manshoon

It's not so much that I'm weak, but it's a rebuilding year!

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I'm playing with a party of three- a F/M/T, a Cleric/Ranger, and I'm in the process of dual classing my fighter to a mage. I dual classed at level nine, but I was on the second or third level of the Dragon's Eye at the time. Now the mage is level six, but I'm on the DE level with the imposter cultists and the high summoner. No matter which way I play it, I get killed. Because I'm fairly weak, I rescue the prisoners and have tried to follow them, but they seem to be splitting up. On my last attempt, I was going to hide in the room and just wait it out, but Albion and a bunch of bad guys found and killed me. The former prisoners were off doing who knows what.

I think with luck and some better battle-specific tactics, I can get this plan to work, but it won't be easy.

Any suggestions?

Lymond

ps- another option, which I'd like to avoid, is to go back to a pre-dual class save and dual at an easier spot.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

I am currently stuck here in my Cleric/ranger solo file. Of course I'm playing on insane, so on normal you should be able to take them down.

The way I start the fight is to confront the person who greets you at the door with evidence of him being evil. This triggers the fight. Have a tank of two hold the line at the main hall, and be sure to take down the mage quickly. cast haste, then use area of effect spells on the incoming enemies to knock their health down and let the tanks finish the job. after you have completed this part, you could retreat to the previous area to rest. this significantly decreases the amount of enemies that you must face.
Marty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 06:52 AM   #3
ister
Drow Warrior

Yeah, I think "web" is your friend here. You don't have the tanks or access to the best summons to do this one any other way. But you can cast about 3 webs on the same spot and you presumably have access to the free action spell.
And lots of buff spells
\" Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.\"<br />JFK
ister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:10 AM   #4
Lymond
Manshoon

Thanks for the help guys!

For some reason, I thought that once you exposed those guys, the entire floor turned against you and it didn't stop until you killed the summoner.

I'm learning that the smaller the party, the more patience you need.

I'm also fortunate, because I'm a few rooms away from whats-her-name on the next level down and am about to regain my other class. Look out!

Lymond
Old 03-11-2005, 11:58 AM   #5
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

If I recall correctly there is another party of adventurers in that area, they can make the fights easier.

Entangle is good, as is web and stinking cloud (my personal tactic is to use one of each, and if your mage can, drop a cloudkill in the middle of THAT mess.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 02:19 AM   #6
Aerich
Lord Ao

Spoilers

For me, the most efficient tactic on this level is to start the fight at the entrance (as Marty and Morgeruat suggested). Drop Web, Entangle, Stinking Cloud, Spike Growth, Skull Trap, etc. in the hallway before you expose Albion, then take him and the librarian out ASAP. Next, hammer on the enemies that are (hopefully) caught in your kill zone. Considering the trolls, Fireball is a good spell here. Don't be shy about using potions, either, especially fire potions.

After that, if you don't have to rest, charge off to the right and take out the high summoner. If playing on higher difficulties, watch out for multiple yuan-ti mages.

The rest of the level should be easy.

I have never let the adventurers out before clearing the level, so I don't know how effective my preferred strategy is compared to freeing the allies.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:46 AM   #7
lost prophet
Drow Warrior

the helpers on the level are decent i spose but not good enough to keep them alive. What i normally do is open the door and straight after marchon of waterdeep talks to you, shut the door again. when this is done kill them all and you getsome alright weapons like: ( minor spoiler)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

flaming longsword +2
chainamil +1
nice arrows
and some 4th lvl scrolls

[ 03-12-2005, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: lost prophet ]
Old 03-12-2005, 03:39 PM   #8
Aerich
Lord Ao

I don't usually kill them with a good party, and even if I do, I wait until after I've cleared DE lvl 5 (e.g. finished the area). The adventurers watch over you as you rest- otherwise you have to go down a level to rest, I believe.

Come to think of it, it may be possible to rest in their room after killing them. I've never tried it. The flaming longsword is nice, but the rest of their stuff isn't any better than what you already have.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:39 AM   #9
Midget Gems

As you can image, the four adventurers were a godsend to my low level party. I survived the initial onslaught by defending the door to a room, then I just followed the adventurers around and let them do all the work - especially killing trolls which can be a problem for my Gnomes. This was actually one of the easier levels in D.E. thanks to their help. Can't say I ever killed them in any of my other games, maybe I'm too nice for this type of work.