Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2003, 01:59 PM   #1
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Here´s the deal: I´ve take a few months break from BG2, and forgotten everything. Well, at least the spell descriptions. I´m currently in underdark, the cave with 8-10 Beholders & Gauths and an elder orb. Even my three mages can´t seem to fireball/cloudkill them off, and I don't have the protective spells needed. They simply outnumber us.

Some tips would be appreciated.
Old 05-11-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Party setup and equipment would help
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 03:07 PM   #3
NiceWorg
Baaz Draconian

Mayhaps.. WS, Minsc, Aerie, Nalia, Imoen, Valygar. Levels 12-14. All kinds of wands and rings (smn earth elemental for ex), decent weapons.

[ 05-11-2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: NiceWorg ]
Old 05-11-2003, 03:30 PM   #4
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Shield Of Balduran and Cloak Of Mirroring will help,Bersek Minsc,...

Why do you have 3 mages in your party?1 would be enough..
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 06:40 PM   #5
Assassin
Symbol of Cyric

Heh. You ought to have seen my latest party. 4 Mages total, with 2 Sorcerers and 2 multi-classed.
In The Terminator, Sarah Connor is told a speech by John Connor\'s father that John has given in the future. When John is born, Sarah tells John this speech, and John grows up to tell it in the future. So who wrote the speech?!
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 08:09 PM   #6
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

When you first recruit Nalia, she already knows "Polymorph Self."

'Nuff said.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:15 PM   #7
Rataxes
Symbol of Cyric

Doesn't the Anti-Magic Ray counter polymorph?
Old 05-11-2003, 10:55 PM   #8
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Rataxes:
Doesn't the Anti-Magic Ray counter polymorph?
...actually, it looks like once you've polymorphed into you-know-what, NO spells seem to affect you whatsoever [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img] boy the laughs I had with a cloudkill wand once I polymorphed, even vs. 8 beholders/gauths
Mahlennacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 11:09 PM   #9
Mahlennacht
Drow Warrior

One time I had Edwin solo that lair - it seemed easier than having a party of six actually, because there were less people in the way.

Of course he had Staff of the Magi, which pretty much makes you invulnerable to beholders if you keep equipping it ... with enough fireballs/cloudkills in her book or wands, Nalia ought to be able to clear it out by herself if she has the Staff, in fact Edwin did the whole lair without a rest, but he was pretty hi-level.

I also try to get the illithid to help clear out some gauths if possible by getting them mad at each other [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]

If I didn't have the Staff of the Magi for my mage, I'd probably do the polymorph self trick if I wanted to do it the easy way - again, sending your mage in alone might help, otherwise the beholders will attack the other (more vulnerable) members of your party nearby if your guys try to start a fight
Mahlennacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2003, 12:00 AM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

With my current All-Warrior party, it seems that the only way to fight Beholderkin without resorting to Shield or Cloak cheese is to use my Archer as a sniper: Stealth around until you see one, back up to where they're almost out of range, Fire, and run like hell. I also wear the Cloak of Reflection, should they happen to fire their Lightning Bolts at me. A variation on this theme would be the Keldorn Sniper: Have someone Stealth around and scout for you, and then you run up, fire off a Crossbow Bolt, equip Carsomyr, then run like hell.