Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-20-2003, 05:54 PM   #11
Epona
Zartan

LOL! Your films will be FINE going through airport security in Europe - it is not true that they will be damaged by going through our x-ray machines. If that were the case I would never have any holiday photos LOL. The only risk is very high speed film - something like 1000 ASA film might be exposed by x-rays - ordinary film will be just fine. I use 400 ASA on holiday, and never had a problem anywhere in Europe.

It is illegal to import certain food (meat, meat products, animal products, dairy products, fruit, vegetables - a bag of candy is fine though), plants, or animals to Europe - anything like this will be confiscated when you go through London customs.

Keep your passport with you at all times.

Don't leave your luggage unattended ANYWHERE - not just at airports. In London especially, because we have been at risk of terrorism for over 30 years, unattended bags anywhere in the city will result in the area being evacuated and public transport grinding to a standstill.

London is a nice place, pity you can't do any sightseeing while you're here! I hope you've allowed plenty of time to get between the airports - Gatwick isn't in London, it's near the South Coast of England, and Heathrow is way out in West London. There may be a shuttle bus between airports, but if not the best way to do it (if the airline is not transferring you themselves) is to book a minicab - but NOT a black cab, it will cost a fortune. Doing it by public transport is complex and time consuming, I wouldn't recommend it - you're looking at maybe 3 hours to get between airports. If you need more info on how to do this, post again and ask me!

Check in time at European airports is usually 2 hours prior to departure.

If you're in London and someone asks you for a fag, it means they want a cigarette - nothing more sinister.

If someone in London says 'awright mate?' it means hello, they're not asking for a summary of your medical history.

Ignore Horatio, London is a lovely place, but like any big city has its share of pickpockets so keep your wallet and passport safe - the same goes for travel in any city.

Where in Italy are you headed? I've been to Italy a couple of times (Venice, Verona, and more rural parts). Do you speak any Italian?

[ 02-20-2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Epona ]
Old 02-20-2003, 06:26 PM   #12
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

when on plane or public place, try to speak only english, people will give you a strange look when you talk other language. they will even call the security or police etc. grr...
Old 02-20-2003, 06:45 PM   #13
Epona
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
when on plane or public place, try to speak only english, people will give you a strange look when you talk other language. they will even call the security or police etc. grr...
Kakero, I really hope nothing like that happened to you. It doesn't bother me in the slightest if I hear tourists speaking their own language, and I would be seriously worried about the mental state of anyone who called the police because of it.

If that has happened, let me assure you and everyone else that it is *not* a common occurrence in London. We are not known as the worlds friendliest most talkative people, but we're not that bad
Old 02-20-2003, 07:03 PM   #14
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
LOL! Your films will be FINE going through airport security in Europe - it is not true that they will be damaged by going through our x-ray machines. If that were the case I would never have any holiday photos LOL. The only risk is very high speed film - something like 1000 ASA film might be exposed by x-rays - ordinary film will be just fine. I use 400 ASA on holiday, and never had a problem anywhere in Europe.

It is illegal to import certain food (meat, meat products, animal products, dairy products, fruit, vegetables - a bag of candy is fine though), plants, or animals to Europe - anything like this will be confiscated when you go through London customs.

Keep your passport with you at all times.

Don't leave your luggage unattended ANYWHERE - not just at airports. In London especially, because we have been at risk of terrorism for over 30 years, unattended bags anywhere in the city will result in the area being evacuated and public transport grinding to a standstill.

London is a nice place, pity you can't do any sightseeing while you're here! I hope you've allowed plenty of time to get between the airports - Gatwick isn't in London, it's near the South Coast of England, and Heathrow is way out in West London. There may be a shuttle bus between airports, but if not the best way to do it (if the airline is not transferring you themselves) is to book a minicab - but NOT a black cab, it will cost a fortune. Doing it by public transport is complex and time consuming, I wouldn't recommend it - you're looking at maybe 3 hours to get between airports. If you need more info on how to do this, post again and ask me!

Check in time at European airports is usually 2 hours prior to departure.

If you're in London and someone asks you for a fag, it means they want a cigarette - nothing more sinister.

If someone in London says 'awright mate?' it means hello, they're not asking for a summary of your medical history.

Ignore Horatio, London is a lovely place, but like any big city has its share of pickpockets so keep your wallet and passport safe - the same goes for travel in any city.

Where in Italy are you headed? I've been to Italy a couple of times (Venice, Verona, and more rural parts). Do you speak any Italian?
Epona me old mucker,

Whilst most of your post is spot on, I dissagree with the mini cab bit, your'e probabally looking at the best part of 80- 100 quid, I'd recomend the Gatwick express to Victoria, Victoria line to green park, then Piccadilly line to Heathrow should work out about twenty pounds. Anyway I thought you'd be behind Ken in trying to keep traffic off the roads [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-20-2003, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Lanesra ]
Old 02-20-2003, 07:05 PM   #15
Lanesra
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kakero:
Kakero, I really hope nothing like that happened to you. It doesn't bother me in the slightest if I hear tourists speaking their own language, and I would be seriously worried about the mental state of anyone who called the police because of it.

If that has happened, let me assure you and everyone else that it is *not* a common occurrence in London. We are not known as the worlds friendliest most talkative people, but we're not that bad
[/QUOTE]Most of us don't speak English.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:07 PM   #16
Masklinn

Just one little thing :

Be polite for sure, but don't be TOO polite ! They will find it weird, like you have something to hide, and will search some more
Old 02-20-2003, 07:14 PM   #17
Reeka
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I love Italy; been there twice. Where in Italy are you going and I can give you some pointers. E-mail me if you want. I used to send people to Europe for a living. I just don't know what kind of info you want. Like I said; e-mail me if you want. Would be helpful to know where in Italy you are going.

*hugs*
<b>Order of the Holy Flame</b><br /><i>Member of Clan HADB</i><br /><b>Laughing Hyena</b><br /><i>Clan Liaison, IW Peace Keeping Force</i><br /><i>[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com/Forum/index.php?board=29\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River VoiceChat!</a><br />Last Saturday of every month. <br />See the forum link for scheduling!<br /><b> </b><br /></i><br /><b>Admin and Co-Owner of [url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\">The Silver River</a></b><br />[url]\"http://www.the-silver-river.com\" target=\"_blank\"></a>
Old 02-20-2003, 08:10 PM   #18
Animal
Gold Dragon

I think my last experience was certainly an obscure incident. I'm a pretty big guy, 6'5", 290lbs, shaved head so I do tend to attract a little more attention than your average person, but I've travelled extensively with very little problems. I think travelling in Europe will be a lot easier than the States, so I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure everything is in order, and understand and follow the laws of the country your are travelling to.
As a side note, make sure you know where your embassy is in the countries that you are in, just in case.
Old 02-20-2003, 11:07 PM   #19
The Hierophant
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Hey Rokenn! I'm doing the exact same thing in a couple of weeks. Staying in London for about a month, and going to Rome for about 3 or 4 days. Heh, we might end up in the same place at the same time and not even know it
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been to Australia a couple of times, but this'll be my first big overseas trip. I'm just gonna play it cool, and try to be as nice as possible to everyone I meet.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:29 AM   #20
Davros
Takhisis Follower

Hi Rokenn,

1)Lanesra is right - don't get a minicab from Heathrow to Gatwick - will cost you 90 quid (so how do I know - well it was OK for me - the company was paying [img]smile.gif[/img] ).
2) There should be a shuttle bus to transfer you if both your inbound flight and outbound flight are BA. If not you can catch a regular bus are the trains. Heathrow express goes to arggh (memory lapse) - Marylebone or Waterloo perhaps - Gatwick express leaves from Victoria (sure of that one) - the two trains and a cab between stations (both in greater london so about 10 quid - don't forget to tip) should cost a total of about 40 quid - much cheaper to get the airport shuttle bus at about 12 quid (possibly free if you are BA flights both sides). Look for the big blue "i" for information.
3) Italy - "Quanto costa" = how much - very important
4) Italian plumbing can be eccentric - many toilets do not handle toilet paper all that well. I visited 6 years ago, and the hotels often had "little bins" in the toilets, and signs telling you not to throw any paper in the bowl.
5) BOTTLED WATER IN ITALY!!!!! - see previous note and you will see why itis not a good place to get "the runs"
6) At many of the trendy tourist cafe's, you can get 3 bottles of the house red for the same price as a "Coca Cola Grande" [img]tongue.gif[/img]

On a side (and sadder) note - everyone remembers where they were when they heard about 9/11 and watched the towers fall - I was at Gatwick that day - very sad.