Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2002, 03:12 PM   #21
Moni

Mark,
I read your first post and thought I had died and gone to Hell!
Jorath Calar "Judas" LMAO!
When I read the link, I totally got it but do beware it is not limited to what you post on the internet (although it is more "written in stone" than what you actaully say out loud).
Stuff like this has been going on for decades, only now its legal.
How do I know?
I do have a file on me.
I attended a demonstration in the early 80's, I'll not say what against and I'll not say what the consequences have been but let's just say that my location is monitered as have been my "private" conversations within the confines of my own home.
If you ever thought you had to be careful before, now is the time to make that idea a reality. Not like it will help those who are already marks but it will help you to keep from becoming one.
[img]graemlins/ladyhearts.gif[/img]
Moni

[ 05-31-2002, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: Moni ]

Old 05-31-2002, 03:13 PM   #22
Morgan_Corbesant
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
quote:
Originally posted by Morgan_Corbesant:
well, aside from the fact that the only real challenge that President Bush has had to face is the war on terrorism, i dont get how all of you DONT like him. his first real test, and i feel he is carrying it out perfectly. i just dont get it. just because he is republican, and not some whinny, snot nosed, twerpy, sleep with your intern, lie about it (and various other things, including drugs), democrat, is not reason not to like him. i cant see ANY reason not to like mister bush. anywho, just wanted to say my two cents. i will continue to serve my country, and EARN my rights however.
Well, if you leave off the entire 9-11 terrorism event and all the influences from that, and don't drag spurious and pointless comparisons into it, you're left with Bushs' foreign and domestic policy decisions. Many of which have been criticised from both sides of the aisle on Capitol Hill. He's not necessarily the worst this country has seen, but he's far from the best, and not above criticism.
And, like all Americans, I too will continue to EARN my rights, by simply being an American citizen. That's the beauty of this nation, that all citizens are equal, regardless of occupation, avocation, religion, sex, age, or shoe size, and NOT ONE SINGLE INDIVIDUAL OR GROUP is inherently worth more or less than any other.
[/QUOTE]actually, that as a right that you are GIVEN, not a right in which you EARNED!!! people should contribute to the country, or society, and by contribute, i mean in a positive manner, in which HELPS the civilization. so unless you do good things for the country, then you are GIVEN those rights, you didnt EARN them. not to be an a**hole or anything, its just the plain and simple facts.
Morgan Corbesant, Elven BladeSinger, Captain of the army of the Seldarine<br /><br /> [img]\"http://www.rleeermey.com/images/linkbanners/usmcredwhiteblue.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br />Protector of Elves<br />Slayer of Orcs<br /><br />ALL YOUR BASE, ARE BELONG TO US!!!<br />I DON\'T FIGHT FOR HONOR, I FIGHT TO WIN!<br />\"One who is a samurai must before all things keep constantly in mind, by day and by night...the fact that he has to die\". <br />-Daidoji Yuzan-<br />16th Century
Old 05-31-2002, 03:17 PM   #23
skywalker
Banned User

I earn my rights...I pay my taxes. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mark
Old 05-31-2002, 03:18 PM   #24
Absynthe

Quote:
actually, that as a right that you are GIVEN, not a right in which you EARNED!!! people should contribute to the country, or society, and by contribute, i mean in a positive manner, in which HELPS the civilization. so unless you do good things for the country, then you are GIVEN those rights, you didnt EARN them. not to be an a**hole or anything, its just the plain and simple facts.[/QB]
And your point is what, exactly? That some people have more right than others? If we are all given our rights as American citizens, and we are, and we are all considered equal under the constitution, and we are, then nobody, anywhere, ever, EARNS their rights as Americans. Either you are a citizen or you are not.

Old 05-31-2002, 03:22 PM   #25
skywalker
Banned User

Quote:
Originally posted by Absynthe:
quote:
actually, that as a right that you are GIVEN, not a right in which you EARNED!!! people should contribute to the country, or society, and by contribute, i mean in a positive manner, in which HELPS the civilization. so unless you do good things for the country, then you are GIVEN those rights, you didnt EARN them. not to be an a**hole or anything, its just the plain and simple facts.
And your point is what, exactly? That some people have more right than others? If we are all given our rights as American citizens, and we are, and we are all considered equal under the constitution, and we are, then nobody, anywhere, ever, EARNS their rights as Americans. Either you are a citizen or you are not.[/QB][/QUOTE]Hmmm. This sounds a lot like George Orwell's Animal Farm. Odd that his other popular book was 1984...Big Brother is watching. Brrr.

Mark
Old 05-31-2002, 03:26 PM   #26
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Rokenn:
The true irony here is that the government does not need these new surveillance powers. They had many pieces of the 9/11 puzzles well in advance of the event, but due to inept bureaucrats and poor coordination they missed it. The FBI was forbidden from domestic spying for good reason, since they badly abused that power in the 60's and 70's.
But that doesn't mean that the Government can't use the armed forces, local law enforcement, or even private citizens to get information they may think they might need on other people.

Old 05-31-2002, 03:38 PM   #27
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
quote:
The true irony here is that the government does not need these new surveillance powers. They had many pieces of the 9/11 puzzles well in advance of the event, but due to inept bureaucrats and poor coordination they missed it. The FBI was forbidden from domestic spying for good reason, since they badly abused that power in the 60's and 70's.
But that doesn't mean that the Government can't use the armed forces, local law enforcement, or even private citizens to get information they may think they might need on other people.[/QUOTE] I think that there are actually legal restrictions keeping the government from using Active Duty military for internal affairs. Those restrictions do not apply to the National Guard though.

Old 05-31-2002, 03:40 PM   #28
skywalker
Banned User

Oh, and I did not mean to alarm any of my friends with that first post. (Sorry Moni and Saz!) I apologize!

And......I continue to be thankful for Jeffords' move to become an independent. He cleary saw what lay ahead. It was a year ago last week and he's had no regrets...Go Jim!

Mark
Old 05-31-2002, 03:43 PM   #29
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
Im not sure Saz but I did detect a faint whiff of sarcasm and cynicism there [img]smile.gif[/img]
Ha! [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img] If you knew how Mark (Skywalker) feels about Bush, you'd have fallen and butted your head on the floor too!

-Saz
[/QUOTE]Hi Sazzy hehe I know exactly how Mark feels, he and I differ greatly on most issues political, but unlike my relationship with some, he and I were able to come to a mutual understanding and respect. I knew he was funnin us all along

Old 05-31-2002, 04:01 PM   #30
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
quote:
Originally posted by Moni:
quote:
But that doesn't mean that the Government can't use the armed forces, local law enforcement, or even private citizens to get information they may think they might need on other people.[/QUOTE] I think that there are actually legal restrictions keeping the government from using Active Duty military for internal affairs. Those restrictions do not apply to the National Guard though. [/QUOTE]There are "legal" restrictions, yes but that doesn't mean they can't be bypassed to moniter people. Believe me, I know firsthand.
As far as using the information they get in order to prosecute said monitered person...I doubt that they could get away with it in a court of law if said monitered person has the cash to buy the "right" lawyer or pay off the "right" people but there's nothing said or written that can keep anyone from buying some judges or otherwise "influencing" their opinions behind closed doors.
More oft than not, local law enforcement and private citizens are used to obtain info but if there is a need for military equipment, it can be obtained if necessary...through the "right" people.