Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2002, 11:18 AM   #1
Lilandra_Fury
Elite Waterdeep Guard

MMMM I hvae just started a new game with a Bard as my character - the Skald kit. I'm confused, he has quite a bit of magic he can use but if I put an armour on him they get disabled, so is he a fighter or a mage, how does everyone esle play this kit?

thanks for your help
Old 11-29-2002, 11:30 AM   #2
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Yeah, the bard is sorta like a fighter/mage albeit with his own special ability and picking pockets.

There is a special set of elven chain (chain mail that allows spellcasting and thieving abilities) usable only by bards. You get it by doing the planar sphere quest.

Otherwise you'll have to decide whether you want to tank or cast spells previous to entering battle and equip your character properly.

Other elven chains in the game are (spoilers):

If you chose to side with Bodhi you can loot one from Aran Linvail (this is the reason why he looks so spiffy and green).

You can also loot one from one of the duelling nobles in Trademeet if you chose not to follow the mayor's advice in the Waukeen's mantle quest.

The drow has numerous Adamantite elven chains, but these are only usable in the Underdark.

The last elven chain, the über-powerful bladesinger chain, is only gettable at the end of the game. It is looted from the corpse of Irenicus' pet black dragon.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:12 PM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Just a minor correction.

Item Spoiler
~
~
~
~
You get the Melodic Chain in the Planar Prison Quest, not the Planar Sphere.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 01:19 PM   #4
Alson
Galvatron

The Skald's biggest advantage is his powerful Song.
In order to make the best of it, you need warriors. The more fighters in your party - the merrier. [img]smile.gif[/img]
The Song also affects summons - so filling your slots with Spider Spawn and Animate Dead (once your level is 15) is a good idea.
Your Mislead Decoy can also sing - and the effects stacks, so memorizing Mislead is mandatory.
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 01:44 PM   #5
Lilandra_Fury
Elite Waterdeep Guard

The Planar prison quest is quite hard if i remember correctly (I did it further into the story when my character had levelled up quite a bit and even then I was still fighting hard due to those teleports splitting my party) but if I can get armour on my Bard I think he could be a very powerful character - cast spells as well as fight or stand back and sing so I guess I will use him however I can best indifferent situations. Thnaks for your help
Old 11-29-2002, 02:41 PM   #6
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

Does the song affect undead?
Old 11-29-2002, 11:40 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
Ah... it affects your party members. Except for the Jester's Song.
Old 11-30-2002, 05:07 AM   #8
Alson
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
quote:
Originally posted by Indemaijinj:
Ah... it affects your party members. Except for the Jester's Song.[/QUOTE]I think Indemaijinj was refering to summoned Skeleton Warriors.
Yes, the Song does effect them.
5 hasted Skeleton Warriors will kill anything in the game.
5 hasted Skeleton Warriors enhanced by a Skald's song will kill everything in the game.
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2002, 05:51 AM   #9
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Alson:
I think Indemaijinj was refering to summoned Skeleton Warriors.
Yes, the Song does effect them.
5 hasted Skeleton Warriors will kill anything in the game.
5 hasted Skeleton Warriors enhanced by a Skald's song will kill everything in the game.
[NITPICK]
5 Improved Hasted Skeleton Warriors with Chant, Bless, Free Action, Regeneration, Improved Invisibility and whatever... still cannot kill everything in the game.

They can however... kill almost everything in the game.
[/NITPICK]
Old 12-01-2002, 07:10 AM   #10
Jim
Quintesson

Quote:
5 Improved Hasted Skeleton Warriors with Chant, Bless, Free Action, Regeneration, Improved Invisibility and whatever... still cannot kill everything in the game.
Ahh, the limitations of +1 weapons.... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote