Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2002, 03:28 PM   #1
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

A rather timely book for anyone who likes to get more than one point of view - Rogue State - A Guide to the World's Only Superpower.

As you'll have guessed by the title, it's all about the world's richest country, Rather New Guinea, and the state sponsored terrorism that the country has been exporting around the globe since the second world war as the bastion of its foreign policy.

This ripping read covers the training of insurgents and foreign armies in terror tactics, including sabotage, torture and assassination, election manipulation across the globe (through the National Endowment for Democracy), the deployment of numerous weapons of mass destruction, support for murdering, human rights crushing regimes, and plots (many successful) to assassinate leading members of foreign governments.

What a very naughty superpower it is. Thank goodness we don't have anything like that in the democratic West, that's all I can say! Hip hip, hooooooorah!!!!!!!!

Oops, almost forgot. It's by a chappie called William Blum, and is published by Zed books.

[ 03-22-2002, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Silver Cheetah ]
Old 03-22-2002, 03:29 PM   #2
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Yay! Silver's back! Missed you! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sounds like an interesting read, Most Metallic Feline, can you point us to any place online where it can be ordered?
Old 03-22-2002, 03:34 PM   #3
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
Yay! Silver's back! Missed you! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Sounds like an interesting read, Most Metallic Feline, can you point us to any place online where it can be ordered?
Hey kitkat, how're you doing? In reply to your ?, the web site is www.zedbooks.demon.co.uk.

Poor Cheetah has lost a bit of her shiny covering, due to split tooth coming hard on the heels of the Egyptian experience!! Dentist Monday. The horror! The horror!
Old 03-22-2002, 03:35 PM   #4
Redblueflare
Galvatron

Well well look who decided to show up! It's Silver! Long time no see, welcome back!

RedBlueFlare
The dragon tamer lives on...

[ 03-22-2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Redblueflare ]
Old 03-22-2002, 03:37 PM   #5
skywalker
Banned User

Hi Cheetah!

Missed ya!

Neb, find it at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...776228-1574333

for $13.27.

(Hope the link works!)

Mark
Old 03-22-2002, 03:41 PM   #6
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Cheetah:
Hey kitkat, how're you doing?

Poor Cheetah has lost a bit of her shiny covering, due to split tooth coming hard on the heels of the Egyptian experience!! Dentist Monday. The horror! The horror!
I'm doing very well, Shiny Kitty, sad to hear about the tooth, best of luck with it.

I have a serious fear of dentists myself, a VERY serious one....
Old 03-22-2002, 03:44 PM   #7
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Redblueflare:
Well well look who decided to show up! It's Silver! Long time no see, welcome back!

RedBlueFlare
The dragon tamer lives on...
Hey Redblue, hi!! :Wiggles with delight: Tis lovely to hear you. I have been working very hard, and then was abroad, and then really quite poorly, very distressing...

Real life can really seize you by the throat sometimes. As long as it confines itself to shaking me gently and giving me a hug, I can handle it... But heatstroke and amoebic dysentry are above and beyond what a little cat should be asked to bear..... :sobs softly into small careworn paws..:
Old 03-22-2002, 03:48 PM   #8
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Hi Cheetah!

Missed ya!

Neb, find it at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...776228-1574333

for $13.27.

(Hope the link works!)

Mark
Hi Sky! Missed you too! How's the job going? Are you enjoying it?

[ 03-22-2002, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Silver Cheetah ]
Old 03-22-2002, 03:53 PM   #9
skywalker
Banned User

Job is okay Sweet Cheetah. Lotsa work though and still taking tests. Too much to do. Life was easier when I was out of work Yeah, right!

I've been thinking about you a lot! How is Mom and Sis?

Mark
Old 03-22-2002, 04:08 PM   #10
Silver Cheetah
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker:
Job is okay Sweet Cheetah. Lotsa work though and still taking tests. Too much to do. Life was easier when I was out of work Yeah, right!

I've been thinking about you a lot! How is Mom and Sis?

Mark
Well, my mommy is great. Now she's addicted to online roleplaying games (in the Thread of Fate forum). She's joined in six games so far, and no let up in sight.

Tan is working as a teacher in a 'problem' school. She seems to have a talent for it. No training as yet (we're desperate for teachers in the UK - a degree is enough these days). But she's very good at handling the kids - well, she has two of her own - and relates to them well. A lot of the kids come from dysfunctional families, so you can imagine that the job is quite challenging....

She's hoping to begin her training pretty soon.

As for me, I went to Egypt in February, to the Sinai desert. Truly amazing place. No toilets or washbasins there.... [img]smile.gif[/img] The colours! The Bedouins! The sunsets! The stars! It twas fab. Except for being sick as a dog... um, I mean cat...