Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2004, 11:27 AM   #1
Jezzrian
Dungeon Master

Hey.

I recently got a new computer which is running XP professional. I installed BGII and TOB and then the official patch plus some of baldurdashes stuff before deciding i wanted to do a full install as the changing of cds was bugging me.

*I uninstalled TOB, which flashed up a message of TOB uninstalled sucessfully after about a second (I'm sure it should take a little longer...) and it then proceeded to uninstall SOA.

So far so good. the problem is that the computer still thinks that TOB is installed, but that SOA isn't. I can install SOA again (with a bit of fuss and the computer thinks it may also ne installed but can be convinced that it isn't) but then hwne i try to install TOB it askes do you want to uninstall, i say yes and it goes back to *, but this time says that it can't find SOA to uninstall it even though SOA is installed. I can uninstall SOA seperately, but cannot get TOB to remove itself from the hard drive.

And finally, in add/remove programmes it says that SOA and TOB are installed as seperate programmes, both about 1.5Mb, but still wont let me uninstall TOB (again go to *), and wont tell me where its located. In fact it's still convinced that TOB exists and as 1.5Mb large when I delete the black Isle folder.

I want it gone!

HELP!!!

On a slightly calmer note, does anyone have any ideas whether its the OS or the game or what? Or even how to fix it.

Jezz
Jezzrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
Lord
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

It sounds like neither game is installed for you, actually. Install SoA to C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII-SoA
Then ToB should be installed to the same directory. It automatically put it in to that directory for me.

"No, I only lied about being a thief."
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
andrewas
Harper

Registry error. Go into regedit and very very carefuly excise all trace of baldurs gate and interplay. You can probably find the keys you need to delete listed at www.bioware.com, but the search function within regedit should also be able to find them.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

don't worry about the size thing either, that's an XP quirk and is 'normal' sometimes. if you haven't installed any other programs or hardware recently and you don't feel confident deleting strings from the registry then XP should make backup copies every now and then that you can restore.
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 02:19 AM   #5
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

The exact same thing happened to me too. The problem is: you had installed ToB with no patch. The patch fixes all registry quirks, but ToB has to be installed to install the patch. You can only use regedit to clear out the registry(which I did) and reinstall both games.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:10 AM   #6
Link
Jack Burton

Well I have a similar problem... My computer won't reckognize SoA and ToB as installed. I know it is, because it clearly shows up in my programs list and I played it before but all of the sudden when I try to play the game, the only option I have is to install it. Any feedback on this perhaps?
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 04:48 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Run BGMAIN.EXE in your install folder, rather than BALDUR.EXE (which shortcuts automatically point to) or the CD Autorun.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 06:41 AM   #8
Link
Jack Burton

Thanks Lennon, I'll try that [img]smile.gif[/img]
Link is offline   Reply With Quote