Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2004, 11:32 AM   #1
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Okay, I know I'll feel like a dweeb when you guys answer but I do have a serious questions about Clerics and spell casting/memorization. (and I did do a search)

My Cleric is 7th level with an wisdom of 17. According to the Manual I should have a bonus spell in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd levels due to my Wisdom. Thus, according to the game manual - if I understand correctly - my daily number of spells, base spells plus bonus, is 6, 5, 4, 3, 1 (progression is from lowest to highest). So I check off the spells I want and I rest. Here is where my confusion comes into play.

Example #1: I was being attacked by a Wraith but it decides to turn against my henchman. I am left alone and so I go to cast Negative Energy Protection but it isn't highlighted. I can't cast it. In fact searing light isn't highlighted either. Two spells that I know I checked off, that I know I rested before moving out, and that seem perfect against the undead, but only clarity is given as an option. It tried casting the other two but they were a dull gray which means they weren't doable. What gives??? By all that I read I should be able to cast 3 third level spells per day.

One other example. I am with Daelan in the Docks area and we are being swarmed by thugs, et. al. (still 7th level cleric and this is a second level spell) Since I am using a crossbow and Daelen is fighting melee all attention is on him. So I decide to cast Summon Creature II to help him out. No can do. The only spell that is highlighted for me to even use is Bless. Hunh???

Please, what am I doing wrong, what am I not understanding? Also, as a side note, my Cleric is Neutral Good and I have received (spoiler)...
...the Art Theft quest from Ophala in the Moonstone Mask. If I carry this out will I suffer in my alignment? This seems pretty chaotic and if I have to kill people (unlike thugs and sailors) to get the items it also seems evil as well. Are there issues such as these from your own experiences? Thanks.
Albromor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 12:01 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

When you find you cannot cast a spell anymore, can you cast it again after resting? In other words, is the spell icon greyed out in your spellbook or gone altogether?
The latter happens if you unequip an item that grants you extra spells of a certain level, or increased wisdom. When you lose that bonus, you suddenly can't cast the last few spells you memorised anymore and so they are wiped from your list of memorised spells.
Very much akin to the leveldrain effects in the BG series...

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #3
Raistlin Majere
Ra

are you sure you are resting the whole time, and not getting up before the resting is done?

"I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."
Raistlin Majere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2004, 05:29 PM   #4
Albromor
Mephistopheles

Yes, I am resting all the way through. I have never interupted it. And my Wisdom is a natural 17. I have done nothing to enhance it so I can't think of anything I took away. The spells are greyed out when I go to cast them. As to whether or not they are greyed in my book I would have to pay closer attention. The thing is, I was able to cast Monster Summoning II early on with no problem. Now I can't??? This is weird.
Old 01-19-2004, 05:44 PM   #5
Stratos
Vampire

Are you level drained? When you try to cast the spells, do you use the quickslots and in that case, have you changed your spell setup recently? If you place a memorized spell in a quickslot you'll be able to cast it, but if you later memorize another spell instead of the quickslotted one and don't have more of the kind, the spell will still be in the quickslot but you can't cast it. In other words, do you have the spells you want to cast memorized?

[ 01-19-2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Stratos ]
Old 01-19-2004, 06:30 PM   #6
Albromor
Mephistopheles

If you mean by memorized, did I click them to place in a spell slot, yes I did. I also made sure I rested fully to receive said spells. I have yet to be level drained so I don't think that is the issue. What is weird is that I have all my zero level spells. And Stratos I did put Monster Summoning II in a quick slot early on in the game and it worked fine. Now if I try to memorize it it comes up grey and I am unable to transfer to quick slot. I'll be playing later this evening and I'll attempt to see if it is something boneheaded I am doing.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:19 PM   #7
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

You ain't using up your slots up with spontaneous casting are you?

Anyways, you should have 4 spells at 3rd level with a wisdom of 17. Memorize clarity 4 times and cast succesively (take off all clothing and items/weapons) and see if it works. If not then you are bugged, mate.

[ 01-19-2004, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: SpiritWarrior ]
Old 01-19-2004, 08:54 PM   #8
Albromor
Mephistopheles

SpiritWarrior, explain the spontaneous casting if you can. How would I know if they are to be spontaneous and how do you see this as affecting game play? I'll have to check this out.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:06 PM   #9
Epona
Zartan

Mmmm... have you cast any healing spells? Clerics don't have to memorise them, but have the ability to cast them anyway - a memorised spell of the same level will be used up when you do this and so will be greyed out until you next rest.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:15 PM   #10
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Clerics can call on their deity in a time of need for healing spells, even when they don't have such spells memorized at the price of 1 non-healing spell of that level. Basically anything that has an "S" on the spell icon can be used as one.

Example: You drag the 3rd level spell 'Cure serious wounds' to the toolbar and you also drag the 3rd level spell 'Clarity' to the toolbar. You memrize nothing but clarity spells on level 3 but will find that you can still use the said healing spell (it will not be greyed out even though you have none memorized). Everytime you cast you will notice one clarity spell dissapears in exchange.