Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Star Trek Online back from the dead.

You may have heard STO had been cancelled a while back. Well it's back. It's now being developed by Cryptic who are the developers of City Of Heroes, Villains and Champions Online. There's going to be ground, space and shipboard gameplay and apparently "player-generated content". What do you guys think of this?
Old 07-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Default Re: Star Trek Online back from the dead.

Good news. Bit wary of Cryptic though. They're bad at making content for MMO's and good at making combat engines.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 AM   #3
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

How cool is this to actually have your own starships. Too bad you can only have 2 races though. I can just imagine the possibilities.

Catch me if you can..
Harkoliar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:15 AM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well the whole design of City of Heroes was that you didn't have items, money or possessions so they kind of shot themselves in the foot with that one. It's hard to generate content for a game that doesn't have items.

But it looks like they learned from it. Their new superhero mmorpg Champions online will have items and equipments. It's the mmorpg I'm most looking forward to this year,
Old 07-29-2008, 10:29 AM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Yes, it was Marvel Online at one point IIRC. I was more looking forward to a Marvel MMO Champions looks like a bit of a CoH ripoff from the screens, still, I am optimistic. The whole "gamepad" thing has me worried about it being dumbed down though.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Even the logo looks like the Marvel logo they use, it just says Champions instead, lol.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Well hey, you can always get the DC Universe Online game when it comes out.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Interesting. Despite Marvel having a special place in my heart, I may try it when it arrives.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #9
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion

They just had a webcast and released a gameplay trailer for Star Trek online - this may be the MMO that I've been looking for, given the hyping of exploration as a game mechanic. While I enjoyed Eve Online, I couldn't really get into it enough. I'm thinking the Star Trek universe coupled with interesting non-combat missions could make for a great game. It all depends on how they implement the non-combat aspects, I guess. Anyone else now monitoring this?