Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2002, 05:22 AM   #151
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
hot wheels race track on the back of the legs.just a few whacks will do the trick.i should know.my parents used it on six of their eight kids and it worked.but i do not agree with hitting a kid on the head.
Both Magik and khazadman were beaten by their parents as children. Things are becoming a lot clearer to me now.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 05-17-2002, 05:33 AM   #152
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:

Oh by the way to ALL of you that are crying about MagiK not wanting to pay much attention to the opinions of those that don't have or are still childern themselves. WOE to you HYPOCRITS and FOOLS, HOW DARE YOU! It seems to be OK for YOU to not except MagiK's opinions on this matter, yet IT's not OK for HIM to do the same thing that you are!!!!!
And to you people that LOVE to spout off at the mouth and call others arrogant, well you might want to get a dictionary and look up the word arrogant! Then look up the words that are used in the difinition of arrogant. Then try appling it to your posts and see how they stack up.
Calm down, will you?
The difference is that no one here is telling MagiK that his opinion is USELESS or that he isn't allowed to post it. Some of us just disagree with it. THAT'S the difference.

[ 05-17-2002, 05:47 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]
Old 05-17-2002, 05:45 AM   #153
Mouse
Ironworks Moderator

Everyone - take five and calm down. I don't want to close this thread, but if it becomes a litany of personal insults (whether overt or covert) and flamebaiting, I will.

Please get back to debating points NOT personalities. Treat each other with respect. This is a serious subject and deserves serious consideration. Try to remember - this is not a trial of strength and nobody has to "win".

Mouse
(Occasional crooner and all round friendly Scottish rodent)
Old 05-17-2002, 05:47 AM   #154
Melusine
Dracolisk

OK, sorry.
Old 05-17-2002, 06:01 AM   #155
Vampire

Okay everyone, it seems some of you are either doing selective reading, memory lapses or have not read the entirity before attacking other people.

MagiK has apologised and withdrawn his view point on "useless opinions"!!! Also, John D Harris, there is NO need to say this:

"Oh by the way to ALL of you that are crying about MagiK not wanting to pay much attention to the opinions of those that don't have or are still childern themselves. WOE to you HYPOCRITS and FOOLS, HOW DARE YOU! It seems to be OK for YOU to not except MagiK's opinions on this matter, yet IT's not OK for HIM to do the same thing that you are!!!!!
And to you people that LOVE to spout off at the mouth and call others arrogant, well you might want to get a dictionary and look up the word arrogant! Then look up the words that are used in the difinition of arrogant. Then try appling it to your posts and see how they stack up."

You are entitled to that thought but don't tell us about it! It is detremental to this thread and what is past should be left there, not dragged out again.

Now everyone chill and a group *hug* [img]graemlins/agree.gif[/img]

[ 05-17-2002, 06:02 AM: Message edited by: Avatar ]
Old 05-17-2002, 08:37 AM   #156
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I realize that this is a somewhat emotional subject as some of you will feel strongly about this issue. You're all welcome to debate it, as long as you do so in a manner that is respectful to your fellow members here. You've all been here long enough to know what the score at Ironworks is.

Majik, your opinion is as valued here as anyone's, but try not to flamebait people to try and get inflammatory reactions from them. Calling people's opinion's useless because they don't meet a certain set of SUBJECTIVE criteria that you have set will hardly endear them to reply to you in an intelligent, rational way. You may as well call them ignorant idiots who don't know what they're talking about. This comes pretty close to troller behaviour - not in terms of abusive language, but in terms of trying to get a reaction from people by goading them.

Now I don't personally care what your opinion is, or if you want a lively, energetic debate - as long as you treat the opinion of your fellow members with respect - be they young or old, married or single, with or without children. We don't smack people down here and belittle them for expressing their opinion.

And to those who responded in an inflammatory way? You did exactly what Majik wanted you to do - you took the bait. Gave him the stoush he was looking for.

Now BEHAVE, everyone. Let's debate this issue like sensible people. Just remember that the name of the game is not to post to try and piss people off - at least not here at Ironworks, anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 05-17-2002, 10:15 AM: Message edited by: Memnoch ]

Old 05-17-2002, 10:21 AM   #157
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Oh piffle, we gotta BEHAVE?

Seriously, this subject is one that a lot of people disagree on and it's ok to do so, but it should be discussed with respect to the other party. I have had the VERY discussion with my boyfriend whose opinion is more like those I've been debating on this issue. We never called each other's opinions worthless for any reason and we each listened carefully to what the other had to say. It was a lively discussion and we've done so more than once, but again, we respect each other's thoughts on the matter, despite disagreeing on a few points. It's a major reason why I could come here and not take flamebait or toss a flamethrower into my own posts.

I used to feel that such debates were only going to BE flamewars until I started discussing things on the old IW and saw how members could disagree and still be friends. Learning that I could disagree with Jim and still want to talk to him at the end of the day, taught me that it's OK to disagree and if you talk openly and with respect, sometimes each side learns something in a debate. I'd like to think it makes me a better person in the end. I know we can do that here on IW and I'm pleased to see alot of thoughtful posts in this thread.

I'm still not likely to spank a child, but I am seeing why others might feel that it's the answer to their discipline problems. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Cloudy

[ 05-17-2002, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 05-17-2002, 10:27 AM   #158
Lunar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

i think you should when they do something wrong too corect them, but other than that you shouldn't because it is abuse. If they are good they should get rewarded. i was disaplined when i did something bad and i'm glad because it keepps me out of troube with the law!
Old 05-17-2002, 10:28 AM   #159
Absynthe

Cloudy, you only disagreed with him because you were hoping to get a spanking! I see right through you, you naughty girl.

Old 05-17-2002, 10:31 AM   #160
Black Dragon
Zhentarim Guard

I don't think any one has the right to smack anybody no matter how much more power they got over them. My dad smacked me once before, I didn't speak or look at him for a week and a half, he never hit me again since!!
Black owns!<br />Dragons rule!!<br /> [img]\"http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/ladyzekke/blackdragonpic.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /> <b>If the media decided that breathing wasn\'t \"cool\" anymore, half the teenage population would be gone.</b> --Someguy