Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2002, 10:07 AM   #1
Vassago
Manshoon

My journey so far has taken me thru the Severed Hand and into Dorn's Deep. The battles in the Severed Hand were intense. My party constantly found themselves resting and once I got to the elves, there were numerous reloads. It just goes to show you that you have to look at each battle differently. Against the elves, I had to try several different tatics before I found the one that would allow me to walk away w/ a couple of hps left. Although I have to say that the lady selling arrows, bolts and bullets was very helpful. Since encountering her, I have not been using the standard ones. After slaying numerous minions and completing a couple small tasks, I was able to talk to Larrel and repair his AstroLab. The books that I found in the library were quite informative and a couple proved to be useful. Once I returned to Kudalhar to sell off excess supplies, I continued my journey to the Dorn's Deep. The place was overrun w/ orges and I found myself constantly having to do battle with them. The drows were also a pain in my side. I hadn't seen such skilled fighters before. But at last, I was past all that and spoke w/ an Umber Hulk who informed me about collecting the badges to find out who indeed was behind this. As I proceeded deeper into the Dorn's Deep, I encountered a spirt who would assist me in my quest, only after I did a favor for him. I am now in the process of ridding the Hero's Hall of the lich that brought this ill fate on to the spirt.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:11 PM   #2
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

Sounds like you're having fun!!!

I just finished the Vale with my evil party of four. By the end of Kress's
tomb I was hurtin' pretty bad. The priestess didn't help either.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

One of the things I found on my first trek is that the woman in the Severed Hand will buy pretty much anything and for a good price too. I don't think I went back to Kulduhar other than the first time when Larrel sends you back. It's
kind of a pain to go through the Severed to get to her, but I think it's worth it for the stuff she has. She has a lot too! Besides you don't have to go to four different places to sell different stuff like Kulduhar. When you're done with her go back up and see Larrel and he'll send you "back to where you came."
This time around I'm going to try to coordinate stocking up with her and bringing the items to the elf in the greenhouse and the diary to Larrel.

I was also wondering something about upper Dorn's. There is a cave in the far northeast that I was never able to get too. It seemed like I should have been able to get there but I was always blocked. I just ended up moving on and nothing seemed like it was affected. Did you have any problems with that (or is there something else I must do?).
Peytin of Rothmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 04:01 PM   #3
Vassago
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Peytin of Rothmire:
I was also wondering something about upper Dorn's. There is a cave in the far northeast that I was never able to get too. It seemed like I should have been able to get there but I was always blocked. I just ended up moving on and nothing seemed like it was affected. Did you have any problems with that (or is there something else I must do?).
I'm not excatly sure where you are talking about. Are you talking about the initial cave that you walk into when you first get to the dorn?
Old 09-25-2002, 05:03 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Peytin of Rothmire:
I almost did serious damage to my monitor in frustration at that one. Theres a path to the north of the level that leads to this cave, as well as bandoths home.

Neither are essential, but that dosent excuse making the path so hard to notice.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:42 PM   #5
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

Thanks Andrewas, yeah that's the one.

I'll have to try harder when I get back.

I think it is the first large area you enter. There are lots of myconoids as I recall scattered around the level along with a few ettins and other caves.
Old 09-25-2002, 06:57 PM   #6
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Oddly enough, this is one of the very first questions I asked when I started writing to the boards.*SPOILER-ISH*
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
The path to Bandoth's is almost immediately to the right of the entrance/exit to this area. If you walk along the wall, you should be able to find it. If you go along here, you won't engage the myconids that are down from the central path; some further around will spot you on the ledge and come after you!

Hey Vassago, what levels are you on now? Let us know and keep up the good work.

Remember: Monster slaying doesn't happen on it's own. You have to go out there and make them dead. They won't do it for you!

[ 09-25-2002, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]
Old 09-30-2002, 12:52 PM   #7
Vassago
Manshoon

I've started chapter 6, meaning I walked into Lower Dorn, but that is as far as I got. The lich from the Hall of Heroes was a huge pain in the arse, but once I found the vial of whatever and entered Jorid's tomb, it was all over. From there I went back and told the spirt of my truimphs and was rewarded for my deeds. However, going back thru the Hall of Heroes, I encoutered some bronze guardians that just did not want to die. I eventually had to lure them one by one in order to kill them all off. After that battle, I proceed out the door and arrived in Wyvrn's Tooth. There were numerous Ice Trolls and Snow Trolls as well as a pack of Ettins that caused me quite some trouble. After dispatching all of the creatures outside of the museum, I proceed within. I was glad to see that I was not attacked upon entering and walked around freely surveying the layout. Below I found some slaves that needed my assistance in escaping. I found the creatures on the first level very easy to deal with. My druid conjured up a couple of fire elementals to aid in the destruction of the slaves captors. From their leader I learned where to find the 2nd badge and proceed to a cave in the southwest corner. One of the slaves was kind enough to provide me with information on how to fix the bridge that led to the cave. Upon entering the cave, I found myself battling lots of winter wolves, frost giants, wyverns and a mage. Once the dust I had settled, I picked up my treasures, freed more slaves and exited back to the Severed Hand to sell off my findings. Now I stand at the entrance to Lower Dorn's Deep, waiting for the unexpected.

I'll have to check my characters to see what levels they are. I do remember that they advance like 2-3 levels during the short chapter 5.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:06 PM   #8
Peytin of Rothmire
Manshoon

Good to hear from you Vassago. I was just about to post to see how you were making out. I just finished Dragon Eye level 2 with a party of four and so far, so good. Any unique situations you've found yourself in with a party of three so far?
Old 10-01-2002, 09:26 AM   #9
Vassago
Manshoon

The one really cool thing I like about this party is when I first got to Kudalhar, I used my theif to pickpocket 2 rings of freedom. So throughout the Vale and Dragon's Eye, I would hide my ranger and theif in the shadows, send them up ahead, once they found the monsters, I would use my Druid to cast entangle in a stragetic position. My Ranger and Theif would engage the monsters and then run back thru the entangle which wouldn't effect them b/c of the rings, then I could cast spike growth and use range weapons to finish them off. This was highly effective when fighting the numerous undead in both the Vale and Dragon's Eye. I mainly went w/ a party of 3 b/c I knew that my characters would level up quicker. Also, it's easier to manage a party of 3 then a party of 4 or more. Although, I think if I had one more character, it would not be more difficult to manage. Also, with fewer people, it is easier to spread out items, however, you tend to make more trips back to town to sell stuff off. Once I completed the Vale, I started making few trips back b/c I did not try to keep everything I picked up. Money becomes less of an issue at this point. My characters have pretty powerful weapons at this point and I have yet to find anything for sale that would be better than what I am currently carrying. So the only items I keep are spells, potions, gems, unidentifible items and stuff that I think will come in handy later (i.e. giving to someone else).

[ 10-01-2002, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: Vassago ]
Old 10-02-2002, 08:16 AM   #10
Vassago
Manshoon

I loaded my game up this morning to get some stats for the curious ones.

Vassago Male Elven Ranger(15) Lawfully Good
18/81 19 17 10 18 9
Racial Enemy: Trolls
Bows++, Crossbows++, Maces+, Great Swords++, Large Swords++
144% Move Silently (I think he is wearing a hood that increased it by 10%)
Attacks: 3 1/2 THACO: 5 (-9) Lore:25
Priest Spells:
level 1: 2 level 2: 1 level 3: 1 level 4: 1
Currently equiped w/:
Cairn Blade & Black Bow w/ piercing arrows +1

Onyx Female Hafling Fighter(12)/Theif(15) Lawfully Evil
17 19 18 8 8 18
Bows++, Crossbows++, Daggers++, Small Swords++
110% in all theiving abilities
Sneak Attack: 4d6 Crippling Strike: -3 Attacks: 2 THACO: 7 (-4) Lore: 25
Currently equiped w/:
Static Short Sword +3 & Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy w/ Bolt of Bitting

Eldran Male Elven Druid(17) True Netural
15 16 17 8 18 18
Missle Weapons+, Clubs+, Daggers+, Spears+, Quarter Staves+, Large Swords+
THACO: 9 (3) Lore: 17
Priest Spells:
level 1: 10 level 2: 10 level 3: 9 level 4: 9 level 5: 5 level 6: 3 level 7: 2
Currently equiped w/:
Spear of White Ash & Edley's Sling w/ Bullets of Fire +2

I have just entered Lower Dorn's Deep, but have not begun exploring. Probably will not get a chance to play any till this weekend. Also, my Druid is has something that allows him 1 extra spell for levels 1-4.