Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2002, 01:46 AM   #1
Spikeous
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Has anyone completed the game on HoF? What was your party? I havent played HoF yet, and I was wondering if the items are really THAT much better. And if I'd get my ass owned
Old 10-13-2002, 03:35 AM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

God no I think normal is hard enuf!
Old 10-13-2002, 11:46 AM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

HOF is for people who want long fights. The gobbies in the Prologue are about 100+ hitpoints, and their to-hit is so high you can expect to take damage all the time (archers, for instance, start at +31 to hit, and they have multiple attacks). Orcs are somewhere around 250.

Critters also have better saves against spells. You know you're in trouble when Orcs who fail their saving throws are still standing after 2 Horrid Wiltings.

If you plan to try HOF, definitely import high-level characters, and bring all the spare equipment you can to sell so you can purchase some items from Deirdre.

For instance, there's Golden Heart of [CHARNAME], longsword 1d8+5, +25 hitpoints, haste and free action while equipped. She also has more potent versions of other named items from normal play. All of them are in the 5-6 digit price category.

Nightowl2
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2002, 02:01 PM   #4
timberwolf
Dungeon Master

If orcs are 250 I can't imagine the later chapters monsters hit points are like. The guardian must be around 5K hit points???

What level char you guys imported into HOF mode? Need it as a guide, maybe I will run it twice b4 going into HOF.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:05 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

And I saw a post here a while back where someone wanted to make a harder diffculty mod - tougher than the HOF mod [img]redface.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2002, 05:42 PM   #6
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Characters were about 16-17, who had completed the normal difficulty. Yeah, it does get nasty, since you're facing about the same number of monsters per area that are in normal. Even with some high-level summoned critters, it isn't very easy. Of course, if it were easy, it wouldn't be HOF

Also keep in mind that they do far more damage than usual. Youpr party can go down quite fast, given that armor class isn't all that helpful.

Nightowl2
Old 10-13-2002, 11:50 PM   #7
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

That was me
The mod itself makes the game more difficult, as its applied BEFORE any difficulty level you choose.
So my mod + insane is less difficult than HOF, but my mod + HOF is truly nuts.

Also, does anyone know if that "golden heart of [CHARNAME}" will appear if you play the game in normal mode, only to turn on HOF mode when you enter the store??? *evil grin*
Old 10-14-2002, 01:13 AM   #8
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Sorry PB, it doesn't work that way. When you turn on HOF, current games are not affected. Only new games are HOF mode. So you couldn't start a normal game, then switch to HOF for good stuff.

Of course, if there's something you really want, you could always use the console to create it.

Nightowl2
Old 10-14-2002, 02:21 AM   #9
Jack of Speed
Manshoon

Im in HoF in the Under Dark. I will let you know if I beat it. Hopefully in the next couple of days. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2002, 08:03 PM   #10
MasterPooBaa
Zhentarim Guard

interesting. cool.
Im running around with a 1st level party trying HOF.
and have actually taken down a few goblins. i run around a house, periododically stopping to let of a volley of arrows.
within 6 goblins i was up 3-4 levels