Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2004, 01:22 PM   #11
galdur
Dungeon Master

Thanks for your replies friends...

You wanted to know more detailed configuration:

First computer (host)
Athlon 1,33 Ghz
512MB SD RAM
GeForce4 MX 440 64MB
10/100 MBit Realtec Ethernet card
Operating system: Windows 98 SE
DirectX 9.0b

Second computer (client)
Athlon XP 2500+
512MB DDR RAM
GeForce FX 5600
10/100 MBit mainboard-integrated card (i cannot remeber exact name)
Operating system: Windows XP servis pack 1
DirectX 9.0b

Can be these lags caused by windows XP and windows 98 LAN? I think that it shouldn't be problem, but maybe I am wrong...

Single player works perfectly, without any lags. Only multiplayer experience this problem.

The problem isn't only in HoW and ToTLM areas. I am playing it with friend from whole beginning (Eastheaven) with 1-level characters. In present, we are actualy in 5th level of Dragon's Eye. Game was experienced this problem IN ALL areas, from first battle with goblins in Eastheaven (where we lost this battle due to this lags, I have casted sleep at wrong location, so no goblin fall asleep [img]smile.gif[/img] ) to Dragon's Eye. So I think it is not script related problem.

I didn't have tried HoW and ToTLM areas yet, but I am almost sure, that problem will occurs also.

OK... I will try to switch host and client, reduce details to minimum and turn off the sounds, and see, if the lags still occur.

Micah... you said, that HoW wasn't designated for multiplayer play. I know, but it is very good RPG game to play with friend. Even better that Diablo, where you just click and click. Here you must create a strategy before battle, and the sneaky thief, which reveals enemy positions and disable all traps in level is very welcomed.
So that's why I want play IWD over LAN instead of for example Diablo.

edit1: Do you think, that IWD without HoW can run without lag in multiplayer?

edit2: Now, when I solved voodoo problem at third computer, I am thinking about playin IWD in three.
galdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 04:44 PM   #12
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Yes, It IS a great game and a blast in multiplayer. From my experience, IWD ran GREAT in multiplayer - even with a group of 5! Things got progressively worse as you added HOW and TolM. If you stick with IWD only, you should be able to have a great time in multiplayer. [img]smile.gif[/img]

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 09:13 AM   #13
galdur
Dungeon Master

I have reduced graphic detail to minimum, turned off sounds and switch host and client and...

...nothing changed
Still same problem, server - all good, client - creatures and other characters was lagging and teleporting around.

So it seems, that performance of computers is not cause of this lags.

Any other idea? Still using 1.42 version of the game.
galdur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:09 AM   #14
Micah Foehammer
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by galdur:
I have reduced graphic detail to minimum, turned off sounds and switch host and client and...

...nothing changed
Still same problem, server - all good, client - creatures and other characters was lagging and teleporting around.

So it seems, that performance of computers is not cause of this lags.

Any other idea? Still using 1.42 version of the game.
Sorry but the problem is still likely game lag. Changing the graphic detail settings, among other things, is not guaranteed to solve the problem. Try turning off ALL of the in-game feedback and see if that helps. It still may not solve the problem though.

http://www.ironworksforum.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3793&dateline=1187636  783
Micah Foehammer is offline   Reply With Quote