Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 04:34 PM   #21
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
Cerek,
After relooking it my post it does come off harsher then I intended.

I beleive there is a big differance between a machine taking care of basic body functions and a machine making it easier to take care of somebody. ie: heart-lung machine vs feeding tube. One takes over for the body the other just makes it easier to take care of the patient(sp?) My belief is if somebody is Willing to take on the responseability of taking care of the patient let them.
Fair enough. And I can agree with you this time around. If the husband just doesn't want to be burdened with caring for Terri anymore, then he could divorce her and continue on with his life. Of course, it sounds as if he has continued on with his life anyway.

I know there is money involved, and it is apparantly a substantial amount. But as VulcanRider pointed out, he has offered to donate all the money to charity - so it would appear that the money is not a motivating factor in his decision (I may be wrong. It's real easy to SAY you will give the money away, but quite another to actually follow through on that promise once you get the money in hand).

If he is truly trying to protect (and enforce) Terri's personal wishes, then I understand his reason for fighting his in-laws. But if it is just because he doesn't want to deal with the burden of her care, then I say he should get the divorce and give the parents full guardianship over Terri. I think it IS safe to assume the parents are acting on what THEY beleive are Terri's best interests. There is probably a degree of selfishness in their actions too...it's hard for ANY parent to willingly let their child go, no matter how old or what condition they may be in. Natural parental instinct will be to keep the child alive and comfortable as long as possible.

Maybe the husband is afraid he will look like an uncaring a$$hole if he divorces Terri. Then again, a lot of people think that about him already, so I don't see he would be losing much ground. His divorce would be covered in the news for a few days, then it would fall by the wayside and be forgotten by the general public. Memories might last longer in Florida, since this case has been in the news there much more than the rest of the country, but even that would eventually die down and I think the media and general public would both just be glad to see the fight over and done with and Terri being taken care of by loving and supporting care givers.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:47 PM   #22
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

Quote:
Originally posted by John D Harris:
Well Az I ain't going argue with that, You come out and state your position, as the old saying goes a man after my own heart. We'll just have to be on differant sides but I doubt that will be any sweat off either of our rear-ends.

EDIT: There has been things I didn't do for my dog that I damn sure did for my wife. My dog got cancer I put her down I wasn't going into debt for a dog. When my wife got cancer I did and am doing everthing I can. I threw away a 20+ year dream of being the sole owner of my own screenprint shop, I've had to take on partners that don't know and didn't put in any sweat into the business my wife and I built with our hands. We are in debt way past our eyeballs, but the Lady Dorothy is alive and God willing we'll one day celebrate our 50th wedding aniversary. So what somebody would do with a dog doesn't hold much weight with me.
Different sides is fine. We both call it like we see it and you never mince your words, either. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/petard.gif[/img]

I didn't know about the Lady Dorothy; I hope she has a full recovery and you both enjoy that 50th anniversary cake.
I must admit that I would go to any length to make sure that Belle is cared for, so I understand where you're coming from.

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:09 AM   #23
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Taking off what other members have said, if you want to avoid these problems when it's you who is in a vegetative state, talk to your lawyer about these concerns. Be sure to inquire as to whether you need legal protections, such as a Durable Power of Attorney, Living Will, and Do Not Resucitate Order. The law on this varies state to state and nation to nation.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:51 AM   #24
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

There were a couple of developments in the case:

1. A judge ruled against another delay requested by a state social services agency:

The Department of Children & Families had asked for a 60-day delay in the March 18 date for removal. The agency said it wanted time to investigate allegations of abuse and neglect against Michael Schiavo.

The judge said the allegations had already been investigated and found to be groundless. He said the agency was apparently trying to pull an end run around the court by getting involved at this late stage.

2. And a California businessman is offering to buy the husband's cooperation:

Hours after a judge refused to delay the removal of a feeding tube from a brain-damaged woman, a California businessman offered her husband $1 million if he would give up his right to decide her medical treatment.

Herring's offer is valid until Monday, according to a statement from his attorney, Gloria Allred. The money has been deposited into a trust account at Allred's Los Angeles law firm, the statement said.

READ all about it.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 03-11-2005, 11:06 AM   #25
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Well, not to be crass, but I'd take the $1 million, disappear onto a year-long cruise, and get a couple of 20 yr old girlfriends to replace the wife who'd ruined my last 10-15 years of life.

And, in this case, the wife will be there waiting and drooling when he gets back.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:56 PM   #26
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

TL, you have a twisted sense of humor. I like that in a person.

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
Old 03-18-2005, 08:19 PM   #27
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

This is the latest update in this long, drawn-out, and very bitter battle.

Basically, the government should not be stepping into the middle of a personal battle between the husband and the parents. Once you turn 18, your parents have no legal grounds to assume any sort of control over you or your affairs, unless you state so in a legal document. The only person whose opinion should be considered here is Mr. Schaivo's, Terri's legal husband.

Questions of his relationship with another woman are irrelevant, since "cheating on your spouse" is not a crime.

The Supreme Court will ultimately have to rule on this case. There are other right-to-die cases around the country, and I believe Oregon has an assisted-suicide law on the books (but I'll have to look that up later).

Bottom line, Terri is not a real human being since there is almost no higher-brain function. Those who want her kep alive no matter what want to determine whether we, or our spouse, can decide our own fate--that is the real issue here. Don't let anyone confuse you with terms like "murder" or "torture"; real torture is what they have done to that poor woman.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #28
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

I have been watching this one. It is just never gonna end for this poor lady, is it? The big shots in Washington want to demand she make a personal appearance to see them, and therefore she has to be kept alive by the best means possible so that they can "examine" the situation, and decide on future situations of like manner. The poor thing has been turned into a guinea pig for tests now!
Old 03-19-2005, 02:55 PM   #29
Azred
Drow Priestess

Question Mark

I know exactly what you mean. Between the extremely selfish parents, the crazed protesters, the Florida Legislature, the Florida Courts, and now the U. S. Congress, poor Terri is simply a thing to be used for other people's political/social agendas. From this point of view, she is lucky to be unaware of all the ridiculous goings-on perpetrated under the guise of "this is for Terri".

Thank goodness the Congress' maneuverings failed.

The only person with whom anyone should be consulting regarding her fate is her husband's.

One more time, folks: there is no human mind inside her brain. The electrical impulses that made that physical body Terri Schaivo are gone, thus there is no Terri. That may be cold, but it is reality as it is; the best thing to do is to accept reality and let her go.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:42 PM   #30
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

It aint over yet. This just came in:

US Congress agrees on move to resume feeding patient

The United States Congress has agreed on a proposal that makes it possible to resume feeding a woman in a coma. Her feeding tube had been removed only 24 hours earlier, following a lengthy legal battle.

On Sunday, the representatives will meet in a special session to vote to refer to a federal judge the question of the woman's life support. Supporters say the feeding tube must be reinserted for the duration of the new round of legal procedures that will follow.

The 41-year-old woman has been in a coma for 15 years. Her husband has been arguying to get her off life support, saying this is what she herself would have wanted. However, the woman's parents want her treatment to continue.

(rnw.nl)
Closed Thread