Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Baldurs Gate & Tales of the Sword Coast
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I'm torn between trying out a dwarven fighter/cleric or a halfling fighter/thief.

I do plan on exporting this guy to bgII and trying the whole series.

Which do you think I'll have an easier time with? Which is more powerful?
Old 08-12-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
Midget Gems

Tough choice between two mighty midgets, but I can’t imagine soloing without the use of Magic so I guess I would vote for the Fighter/Cleric. You could also consider Cleric/Ranger if you want the additional spells and a taller person. Of cause a dual class Mage would have better magic but it appears you don’t want to go that way.

If you are worried about traps then a Thief has the answers, but I have never been bothered about traps and locks myself. There are so many other ways to deal with the lack of thief skills, you can do everything with magic except pick-pockets. I have also found that healing need not be a problem when soloing. If you have the right protection then you shouldn’t take much damage and potions are fine if you can carry enough of them, or just get plenty of rest!

The other reason I like magic users is that they are very versatile. I find that soloing can be quite boring at times, especially if you are using the same tactics all the time. With a magic user there are many ways to meet the challenges and you can use as little or as much of your skills as is needed for the task in hand. Also I find that a solo character needs to have good saving throws – a missed save is often fatal – I had a Gnome Cleric/Mage who hardly ever missed a save and it avoided a lot of the annoying reloads.
Good luck, MG
Old 08-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
krunchyfrogg
Red Dragon

I had considered the Cleric/Ranger, but after comparing the Cleric/Ranger to the Dwarven Fighter/Cleric, I think the F/C comes out on top.

I might be in the minority here, but the bonus to saving throws, and the (albeit slow) regeneration (I plan on aquiring a 20 CON) of the dwarf outweigh the stealth, dual-weilding, and extra spells of the C/R.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #4
Melcheor
Manshoon

If you ever want to do the tower you will want the fighter/thief. Backstabs rock when solo as well.

Oh and if you plan soloing the entire series, the fighter thief will get a useful high level ability in ToB which will allow him to essentially use some mage skills too

(SPOILER)

Use any item; wands, scrolls, all yours. Dualling to a thief might be more of a plan than multiclassing if planning on taking the entire series. Just my opinion tho.

[ 08-27-2005, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: Melcheor ]
Melcheor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

The thought of soloing without magic seems a little scary to me. It's the later encounters such as the... (potential SPOILER)
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
...duchal palace scrap that are always resolved with magic in my games. How would you fight the good fight with a solo fighter or a thief? Or a Fighter/Thief for that fact. [img]smile.gif[/img] The dukes have an annoying tendency to fall over dead without negating the doppleganger's haste spells as quickly as possible.

Edit: The most ambitious character I tried to solo with was a bard, but it quickly became apparent that such classes really do fair better in a group. I might've made a go of it if it'd been IWD however...

[ 09-02-2005, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Lord Brass ]
Old 09-07-2005, 03:39 PM   #6
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Arrows. Enchanted Arrows. But anyway, why not try both?
Sir Degrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 04:06 AM   #7
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
Arrows. Enchanted Arrows.
Is there no other way? What if you don't want to take the very much tired bow (and large sword) proficiency? I find myself trying to take anything but that in BG these days.

Quote:
But anyway, why not try both?
I heartily concur with that! All you've got to do then is decide which one you want to start first. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #8
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Brass:
quote:
Arrows. Enchanted Arrows.
Is there no other way? What if you don't want to take the very much tired bow (and large sword) proficiency? I find myself trying to take anything but that in BG these days.

Quote:
But anyway, why not try both?
I heartily concur with that! All you've got to do then is decide which one you want to start first. [img]graemlins/hehe.gif[/img]
[/QUOTE]Crossbow of speed, I almost always pick it, same ROF as a bow, better damage, and some truly rockin bolts out there, including the Polymorphing bolts (which I've only been able to get by cheating) there's more variety in arrows, but the bolts pack enough punch to make them worth having.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:14 AM   #9
Lord Brass
Emerald Dragon

The Crossbow is a good weapon Morgeruat, but the advantage of a bow is the arrows of dispelling. That's what you can use to knock out so many enemies' annoying haste potions/spells. It seems so many opponents seem to use this tactic once you get to the city proper. A certain ruffian in the Undercellars springs to mind.

How would you counter that in the palace if you don't have a bow and can't fight i.e. if you're playing a thief?
Old 09-09-2005, 05:04 AM   #10
mad=dog

Thieves can use bows... I don't understand the predicament. You have all sorts of assistence. When you get rid of the haste there's no real danger from the dopplegangers.
I have solo'ed a bard through the entire series. Shame they are nerfed in the higher levels.