Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 01:25 AM   #1
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

How does one go about deleting existing Thumbs.db files? I have already disabled Thumbnail caching, but through Nero StartSmart, I realised that I still have some Thumbs.db files on my harddrive.

Search is useless, even if I set it to search through hidden files as well.

So short of manually deleting each file one by one, is there any easier way to do it?

Cheers.

[ 10-18-2006, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Why do you want to?

If it's taking up too much space, just change your settings so that you are no longer viewing all files, adn abviously disable thumbnail view [img]smile.gif[/img]
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:50 AM   #3
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
Why do you want to?
Because it is annoying.
Quote:
If it's taking up too much space, just change your settings so that you are no longer viewing all files, adn abviously disable thumbnail view [img]smile.gif[/img]
Disabling Thumbnail view has nothing to do with it. I just want a method that allows me to delete all existing Thumbs.db files, short of manual deletion and formating.

[ 10-18-2006, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Dundee Slaytern ]
Old 10-18-2006, 09:11 AM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
quote:
Why do you want to?
Because it is annoying.[/QUOTE]Then don't view hidden files.
Quote:
quote:
Quote:
Disabling Thumbnail view has nothing to do with it. I just want a method that allows me to delete all existing Thumbs.db files, short of manual deletion and formating.
By disabling those viewing options for all folders, Windows will remove those files.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
ZFR
Legion Symbol

Try this:

Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab -> and mark "Do not cache thumbnails"

On a side notice, search works fine for me if I set it to search through hidden files... are you sure you have any thumbs.db files left?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:17 PM   #6
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
quote:
By disabling those viewing options for all folders, Windows will remove those files. [/QUOTE]To be specific, Hive, it will not remove those files. It will remove them from the display, but they will still be there.

On some versions of XP, there is an issue with the Find feature in Explorer where it won't find anything. There is a patch for it (because I know I have it [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but if you get that, set your preferences to show hidden files, and search for thumbs.db, you should find them all. Then you can delete them all in one place...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Bungleau:
~ On some versions of XP, there is an issue with the Find feature in Explorer where it won't find anything. There is a patch for it (because I know I have it [img]smile.gif[/img] ), but if you get that, set your preferences to show hidden files, and search for thumbs.db, you should find them all. Then you can delete them all in one place...
What is the name of this patch?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:31 AM   #8
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I was afraid someone was going to say that... I'll go dig it up tomorrow.
-+-+-+
Old 10-19-2006, 02:01 PM   #9
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay... I tracked down the guy who helped me find and fix it. Here's the information from him:

Quote:

During the WMPUG meeting the topic of the windows search for text does not work came up. I had run into this and learned of the following solution.

SYMPTOMS When you search for files that contain text by using the A word or phrase in the file search criterion, the search results may not contain files that contain the text that you specified. For example, .log, .dll, .js, .asp, .xml, .xsl, .hta, .css, .wsh, .cpp, .c, or .h files, or files with no file name extension, may not appear in the search results even if the files contain the text that you specified. This problem may occur even if you specified the file name or type in the All or part of the file name box.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=309173

Alternatively when I Google the text “fix windows search a word or phrase in the file” there are a number of hits for sites that offer tools to apply the update for you.

In addition, before I found the MS solution I found a helpful shareware tool called FindFiles. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/snakegamer/

I think I used the second option under the MS Kbase entry to fix it for me.
-+-+-+
Old 10-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #10
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I think that's a slightly different bug Bunglea, it appears to be talking about errors in searching through the content of those particular files which we don't need to do.

All you should have to do for this should be to go to advanced options and tell it to search hidden and system files for thumbs.db.

[ 10-19-2006, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]
shamrock_uk is offline   Reply With Quote