Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2003, 12:46 PM   #1
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Can someone explain something to me? I've looked at tv, I've listened to some of my friends talking, and everyone has a common love for games like Bg2 or Neverwinter because they are really good games but this is what is bugging me. You can play those games infront of others and they wouldn't think different of you, but why is it that people look onto PnP D&D players as nerds? Not even that, I may be a nerd or a geek or whatever, but why is it when you play that game people see it as not having a life? Because you have to figure out things using mathematics and the like (because there's not a computer to do it for you), or because it's an RPG.

I'm just wondering, PnP D&D has been my favorite game of six years now and I just wanted to know it's looked down on from people. Anyone else heard of this or have an opinion?
Old 08-24-2003, 12:57 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

It's simply stereotypes. Don't bother wasting your time trying to figure it out, many people like their prejudices.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:00 PM   #3
Bozos of Bones
Apophis

The people who think people who play PnP D&D's are nerds are stupid(did I complicate this or what?). It's as simple as that. Personally i'd rather walk around a dungeon with two of my best friends and my DM than go somewhere drink my ass off. Although i enjoy the latter very much.Offcourse that PnP separates me from all the other people, but the point is the bonding with those three guys i play with. Just don't overdo it because one day your alarm clock will go off and you'll smashit with your fist thinking it's a hook horror or somehing. Have measure.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:05 PM   #4
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Stereotypes is a hard case to fight sometimes. People will think of people as they see them in their minds, based on what they have heard etc.

CRPG's have lessened the "Nerd" factor it seems since computer games are getting bigger, more popular it isn't geeky anymore. When I grew up, playing computer games were geekier then playing PnP games. Why? Cause it was something with "computers" that most people thought where just huge calculators.

So, best thing to do, learn by their misstake and keep an open mind and don't be to quick to judge

Don´t eat the yellow snow
Old 08-24-2003, 02:51 PM   #5
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Plus, that dumb movie, "Mazes and Monsters" didn't help things.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:51 PM   #6
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Attalus:
Plus, that dumb movie, "Mazes and Monsters" didn't help things.
I don't believe I've seen that movie [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] Then again, the Dungeons and Dragons movie didn't make it any better either.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:45 PM   #7
wellard
Dracolisk

PnP D&D Nerdy ??? mmmmmmm

Lets see, you are with friends using your imagination, solving riddles and exercising your math ability, sitting safely in someones house. Versus sitting at home watching the idiot box TV or hanging around outside on some street corner getting up to no good [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] I know which one I would prefer, and my kids to choose [img]graemlins/heee.gif[/img]

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
Old 08-24-2003, 09:16 PM   #8
Lord Lothar
Quintesson

Because PnP has been stereotyped as a game that only nerds and weak people play...think about it: a nice bright sunny day outside, people playing sports...and then there's a bunch of nerds sitting inside a dark house going through an imaginary dungeon, doing math calculations. Regardless of how much fun it is, people will stereotype you.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:43 PM   #9
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I remember that movie Attalus.

And I saw something recently on Lifetime, wish I could remember the title..

But it was a true story, and about how one night, someone broke in this family house and stabbed the mother and father many times in their bed, but the mother (miraculously) lived. In the end, the movie follows the investigation, it turned out to be their son (with friends). He was into D&D, had lots of books and him and his friends would reenact scanerios with swords underground, in the city's sewers and such. This movie totally started to focus on D&D, like that was what warped this kid, but umm, he was taking a LOT of drugs, including heavy amounts of LSD. I thought the movie really made D&D look bad, bogus.

Reality Show Recaps
Old 08-24-2003, 09:50 PM   #10
True_Moose
Gold Dragon

Well, there are something like 3 000 000 kids in the US who play D&D, so of course there're gonna be some freakshows. And on LSD...my god, how can you possibly try and pin that on D&D?

People who stereotype D&D have never played it...trust me, the last thing you'd think of one of me and my friend's campaigns is nerdy. Dirty, disgusting, wrong, yes, but not nerdy.