Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Roleplaying > Ironworks Online Roleplaying
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 01:26 PM   #231
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Joseph

He turns to Larry and winks. The kid’s gonna treat him like he’s some wise old sagely figure regardless of how he acts or what he says so he may as well make the best of it. Funny how that works – the best illusions are the ones folks believe all by themselves. Given that his peculiar art of spellcraft seems to be a genuinely lost art in this IronWorks place it’s not all that surprising the kid looks at him like he was one of those mages he grew up reading about. Well, at least that disposes him to listen and maybe pick up a thing or two.

“You read much, kid?” His question is sudden and he does not bother waiting for an answer. “Important stuff – reading. A guy’s gotta keep up with his discipline if he’s gonna be any good at it. Some guys, they read one book and learn it really well and think it makes ‘em an expert. The guy what made this tower from the look of it is one of those. That’s not to say he did a bad job here – hell, it’s a pretty impressive piece of work. But it’s limited. And y’know, kid, I can understand that, because when you got more power than a guy’ll ever really need at your finger tips, well, why would you bother about the subtle stuff? But when you’re skinny and weak, like me, and you know power ain’t never gonna be your game, that’s another whole ‘nother ballgame. Now where was I? O yeah – limited. This piece of work that we got here is very limited.”

“Sure,” he says, “it’ll keep out an invading army. And sure you can’t just go teleporting or dimension walking in and out of it. But you see, kid, this place is designed so that any flaws in the setup shouldn’t matter because the Big Guy’s gonna be around to squash whoever finds a way inside, Understandable and even effective in its own way, but sloppy, kid, very sloppy, because you gotta account for a situation like we got here where the big guy ain’t home and guys like us come calling.” Noting Senora out of the corner of his eye he adds, “Sorry about that – guys and lady.”

“Lucky for us though,” he continues, “because if the big fella was here our getting inside probably wouldn’t amount to much except our getting dead. Speaking of which it’s gonna be dark inside and there’s probably gonna be all kinds a critters that the normal stuff you bash a bad guy over the head with won’t be real effective against. At any rate we got two other things working in our favor here – we got weave magic as the underlying system what holds this place together and, you’re not gonna believe this but I’m telling you it’s true, we’ve got a flawed architecture of shadow here. And those two things along with a little bit of work should be enough to get us inside.”

[ 08-24-2005, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Cyril Darkcloud ]
Old 08-24-2005, 04:11 PM   #232
Salinye
Manshoon

Senora

Senora listened to Larry’s explanation. This is the second time he had made reference to a less than favorable past version of himself. She also didn’t know who the Windbringer was, this is the first she had heard of him. However, before she could ask, Joseph began to speak to Larry and she turned her attention towards him. There was so much she didn’t know and if she was going to enter into a potentially dangerous situation with them, she needed to learn all that she could. She looked towards the tower as the mage began to speak about it and the type of person that must have built it. His dialect was rough around the edges although the content of his words sounded rather educated.

As he continued with his thoughts and explanation, she began feeling an intensity grow within her. At first she paid little if any attention to this as she was very determined to learn all she could about the situation from these men. However, the feelings quickly grew to a level that she couldn’t easily ignore. Intensity itself is such a vague description of what she was feeling. This was a very focused intensity that was gradually getting more powerful and yet felt…calm and controlled. The feeling surged within her in waves as they always did when she was on the receiving end of someone else’s emotions. She sharply turned from the tower and was immediately drawn to Joseph as wave after wave washed through her, each growing a little more intense than the last.

Drifting a few steps closer to him, she no longer retained anything that he was saying, but noticed that he spoke without any of the intensity or underlying passion that he was feeling. Odd, to feel passionate at a time like this, however, she was almost certain his feelings weren’t connected to the thought of helping the group per say. It felt more like a self-gratified passion. More like how a writer must feel the moment they realize what they need to do in order to add that twist ending to a novel they’ve been writing, or how an artist must feel when they wake up in the middle of the night with the breakthrough idea of how to finish their masterpiece. The passion that comes when you’ve found the missing piece to finish a puzzle. She had felt similar things from mages before, however, it was interesting to her how well Joseph masked this growing focused power while carrying on a subtle conversation.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:28 PM   #233
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Larry S.

Larry was oblivious to the actions of Senora right now, and was deeply in thought as to what Joseph was saying. It was an odd thing that he brought up, because Larry realized that he could only hear this information as a newcomer to the idea...not as one that was being reprimanded for their own work. Indeed, even though Larry had been a part of the Shadow Mage at the time of the erection of this Tower, he was not able to recall actually knowing what actually went in to building it...

Memories; some only his, some only the Mage's, and some shared between the two.

But what Joseph said made sense at any rate, but he had nothing to add to the conversation and so waited with eagerness to see how Joseph could do that amazing feat of gaining entry into this fortified structure.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:18 PM   #234
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Joseph

He continues to speak, his words casual and more suited to tavern conversation than the discussion of ideas concerning systems of magic but the worry of matching the style of words to content is a distraction that cannot be afforded. He has mastered the ideas and explanation is best given fluidly and easily so that behind his words the power of his insights might gather. His eyes chance upon the face of the woman, Senora, distinct for once between the folds of her hood as she looks at him, but that too is a distraction to be submerged in the streaming of words as he marshals his thoughts. Artful thinking is required here – but then any thinking that is not an art isn’t much good in the first place.

“Eight or nine years ago I read a monograph written by some guy named Myron. Ground breaking stuff it was, I mean real cutting edge. This was written way back in the old days before anybody ever heard of stuff like shadow magic as a separate area of study – it used to be part of my field and as far as I’m concerned it lost something when folks overspecialized in it. Anyway Ed Greenwood was starting to write about stuff like the Weave and the idea was getting ready to take off when this Myron fella sat down and cranked out this analysis of the underlying issues of the system. Ahead of his time, I tell ya. There’s maybe ten guys what ever read that particular bit of research. Research, kid, remember that. It pays to look into the sources. Here everyone was picking up the new system and there was this guy Myron laying out the fundamental dynamics involved in translating across magical frameworks. They just don’t write stuff like that no more. Hell, good ‘ole Myron might’ve been the only guy writing it back then.”

As he spoke a globe of what seemed to be sunlight formed around his right hand. “There’s a really popular idea out there – so popular and around for so long that folks just assume it’s gotta be true. Popular impressions, kid, you wanna fool somebody popular impressions are a good way to do it. Anyway, this idea holds that in order to have a shadow what you need is a bit of this......” He holds out his right hand and the light flares brightly. “And a bit of this......” His left hand vanishes from sight as a blur of near absolute darkness covers it. “Dead wrong, kid. Dead wrong.” He brings his hands together and the light fills the darkness. “You see, kid, shadow has a relationship with light but it ain’t no mixing of light and dark. Shadow is a special kind of darkness, it’s that kind of darkness, the only kind of darkness, that can exist where there’s light. If everything were darkness, there’d still be shadow – it’s a type of darkness - it’s just that shadow would be less important."

"This is heavy stuff, kid. Shadow is that darkness that can exist where there’s light. In fact, all you need to bring forth shadow is a bit of light......” Once more the light flares about his right hand. The fingers of his left hand move and what appears to be a thin wooden rod appears in his grasp. “And something to block the tiniest bit of that light.” He moves the rod toward the light and a shadow appears on the ground, moving as the rod is moved and stretching or contracting according to the relation between the rod and the light. He then opens his fingers and the rod remains suspended in the air. Stooping he touches his hand to the shadow and lifts it from the ground. At a snap of the fingers of his right hand, the light vanishes. The shadow, however, remains in his grasp. “Neat stuff, really. I can see why a guy might want to focus his work on it.” He takes the shadow in his hands and works it with his fingers as if its shape and substance were somehow malleable. He stops speaking for a few moments and his movements become very deliberate until the shadow has been elongated and shaped into what would seem to be an oversized hook of the kind used in crewelwork.

Turning again to Larry, he suddenly resumes speaking, “All of which brings us back to our friend Myron and what he had to say about the weave......” He turns to the tower and lifts the shadowy crewel hook, then pauses. “You sure you want in?”

[ 08-24-2005, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Cyril Darkcloud ]
Old 08-25-2005, 03:14 PM   #235
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

~Shadow is a special kind of darkness, it’s that kind of darkness, the only kind of darkness, that can exist where there’s light. If everything were darkness, there’d still be shadow – it’s a type of darkness - it’s just that shadow would be less important."

Larry Silverfall:

Larry stared even more dumbfounded than before at this man. His understanding of Shadow was to marvel over. Larry had spent the last few years being driven by a mad hatred and uncontrollable thirst for power that he might become great...and had acheived power, but not to the understanding thereof. Now that his true form had been restored to him, Larry was able to see in a new percpective what shadows and shadow magic might hold in potential. He also was greatly thrilled that a man who was not evil could so easily manipulate those shadows. Larry had been very nervous these past few days because he had shown proof that something of Shadow Magic still resided within him...and had not dissipated altogether...and therefore he had been wondering about his own potential...would he turn evil again...but Joseph was working Shadow Magic and remaining as saintly as he ever did...not showing any taint of madness nor likewise any cause for alarm.

He was aware suddenly that he had been asked a question...and that he had been mindlessly just staring at the hook in Joseph's hand.

"Sir, again I say...my life is forfeit if I abandon the soul of my wife to her doom. It was my doom that brought death upon her...and I will make right what went wrong. Besides, you have shown me this day that I have nothing to fear from within. I know who I am, and that is Larry Silverfall. This tower is all that stands in the way of my victory. I shall have it now!"

OOC>>>I am late to class! Aiii!!!!!
Old 08-27-2005, 04:55 PM   #236
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
For Marcos' Party

Two arrows were fired but never slowed the animated armor as there was no flesh to pierce, not organs to open. However, a warhammer certainly did make an interesting change in the battle. The armor flew across the room and crashed into the wall, some pieces breaking off from it. However, it returned to its floating position and came at the group again, sword hovering without a grasping hand.
As the party labored with this magical construct, their backs were exposed to the oncoming of the other Helmed Horror. Both Helmed Horrors had been created with the ability to sense when the other was in battle-mode. It came up behind the party, its sword raised high to strike.

OOC>>>Does anyone sense or hear the one from the back making the attack?
Old 08-27-2005, 05:02 PM   #237
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Text: The battle with the 2 helmed horrors.

[ 08-27-2005, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 08-28-2005, 12:48 AM   #238
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

OOC Yevaud is still in the rear having waited for the filthy human [img]tongue.gif[/img] to get his arse kicked by the first one, I suppose this would make him more likely to notice the new threat.

IC:Yevaud

The elfin warrior spotted the construct and moved to intercept it, his sword already moving, making it's particular whistling noise that might alert the others of his status as a combatant. He chose a defensive stance to better take the measure of his foe, the sword seeming to float with a casual, slow drift, and yet somehow, exactly where it needed to be to block.

OOC: activating my sword's special power and using the bladesong's defensive powers, as well as making a full parry this round.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:43 PM   #239
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Vincent Pathfinder 98/98

ooc: Vincent was behind Yevad and in front of Silt, nad to the right of the door, so a simple side step twist and swing is all that is needed to avoid the charge and attack.

Watching his arrows bounce off the construct harmlessly, Vincent was rethinking his plan of attack when he felt a presence coming from behind him. Having only his bow in hand he swung it low at what appeared to be the creatures legs in hopes of tripping it up and preparing for what ever may come.

[ 08-30-2005, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: Elif Godson ]
Old 08-30-2005, 08:33 PM   #240
Cyril Darkcloud
Lord Soth

Joseph

The kid’s persistent, that’s for damn sure. Gotta give him that. A bit dramatic though. Powerful emotions, too powerful for his own good if he can’t learn to control them. Hell, if he starts another sloppy shadow invocation here there’s gonna be a mess. ~ “Sure thing, kid,” he says to Larry, “but do me a favor and calm yourself down. Long-deferred victory and stuff like that ain’t my department. can’t do much about dead spouses and soulmates either. Enchanted towers made outta shadow type substances – those I can handle. But a job like this takes concentration so hold off on the victory celebrations until we’ve done whatever it is we’ve gotta do here and we’re sure we ain’t dead once it’s done.” Turning toward the tower, he begins to move the hook, hoping with his last unfocused thought that either the big guy or the woman will keep the kid calm.

“Okay, Myron,” he says quietly through a slight smile, “let’s see if you were right.” He moves his left had in a sweeping motion while his right holds the shadowy crewel hook and in the wake of his sweeping arm a stream of shadow unfurls much like a bolt of cloth. “The trouble with weaves,” he says more to himself than to the others, “is that they're never as complete as we like to think they are. They get frayed over time. Hell, even without fraying there’s always a place where you can grab the end of a strand. It don’t matter how tight the weave is if that place can be found the weave can be unmade......”

Taking the sheet of shadow he again moves his left arm, snapping it toward the tower. The conjured shadow flows over a small portion of the tower’s surface, clinging to it and forming a smooth covering of slightly different opacity. Holding his right arm still, he moves his left through a series of intricate gestures. The sheet of shadow undulates as he does so. His eyes narrow and he stiffens. He smiles. The pattern is very tight, but he has found its strands. He pauses a moment longer – just because the one who made this works more from power than craft does not mean there is no art to be discerned, and only a fool, and a fool soon to be dead, would underestimate one capable of a feat such as this. He must be sure. He stiffens once again. ~ Well, I’ll be damned! ~ he thinks ~ He’s actually got the heavy structure of this place spliced in such a way that the right kind of pull would bring the whole works down........ Best not mess with those strands.

The weave is tight, and if this were a contest of power he’d never be strong enough to loosen the threads in so little time. But the shadow of the strands is flawed and the hook is not. He smiles, “Myron, you were ahead of your time, old fella.” His movements are graceful and carefully calculated as he raises the hook and steps toward the tower. A series of rapid gestures succeed in having the hook actually pierce the outer surface of the shadowed stone. Another series of gestures loosens what seems to be a single dusky strand from the tower’s form. Taking this strand and working the hook he begins the unweaving a portion of the tower’s enchantment until a seam is opened in the structure, a seam he folds back like the flap of a tent. Darkness waits on the other side of the seam.

A project like this takes a lot out of a guy and he’ll need a minute or two to figure out how much he has left and how much of that he’ll need to save for getting this bunch out of this place. But first things first.

Turning once more to Larry, he smiles, “After you....”
Closed Thread