Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2001, 01:46 PM   #21
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

I agree fully, Moni. Don't let this drop...follow up on it with the Insurance Commissioner. To be fair, let them know how it was resolved, but let them know with no detail spared what was done to you and Rex. It's time we started standing up for ourselves against these highwaymen.

Just as an aside: Way back in 1985, when I was about to finish my master's degree, I was on my way home from classes when someone crashed into me running a red light. I was fortunate that I sustained no injuries (I was driving a Ford LTD 1972 at the time, "battle wagon", , but the car was totalled. The other guy's car was worse and one of his kids was hurt, which I was very worried about, but of course it wasn't my fault. (Kid turned out okay, just a split lip).

Anyway, long and short, I filed a report with his insurance company. A couple of months went by and nothing happened, even after a few certified letters. So I sent a final letter demanding that they settle with me, threatening legal action, and sent a cc of it to the Louisiana State Insurance Commissioner.

That insurance company had a guy out there two days later. I had originally paid $1200 for the car. He gave me $1050 on it, which I considered to be more than liberal, especially since I already had another car. My mother thought that was exorbitant; the car couldn't have been worth more than about $500-700 given its current state.

Would you know, that insurance company had been BILKING people all the way along, and it was only that I threatened a lawsuit and followed up with the commissioner that I got my settlement! They went bankrupt the next month. Actually, that's not quite right...they disappeared and I heard a rumor that the president of the company had departed rather rapidly for South America. If I had waited another month...

So you see the importance of following up on things. It was a lesson I remember to this day.

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 05-11-2001).]
Old 05-11-2001, 04:23 PM   #22
Moni

Saz,
Yes, I will be completely fair with the insurance company. They did after all return the monies they took even if it did take threats of a lawsuit to get it done (they had originally said in March that it would be sent out in thirty days....then in April, they said "next week" and it took until May and not until Rex had a long and serious talk with Kandy about the repercussions she would face if she did not make it right).
He is too nice, he did have every right to file suit without even notifying them until after the fact! I told him he should have and that if he could, he should've taken the company from them fired them all and then done away with it LOL.

In the state of AZ it is law that all driver's have insurance and it is common practice for one company, in order to give drivers the lowest rates possible, to host a bunch of smaller companies that file bankruptcy as soon as a claim is filed, thus avoiding payment. This is an issue the Gov't needs to take a better look at but if there are "incentives" involved on a Gov't level (you know what I mean), it'll never happen. It has been going on for too many years for someone not to have noticed and taken action to halt it.

Moni

P.S. In 1984 I drove a 1972 Ford LTD, white vinyl top on green body!
(Found On Road Dead~Left To Die!) LOL It was a good car really, it died when going through a residential area at 30 mph, I went through a dip just 5 mph too fast and bottomed out, cracking the block~oops!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 05-11-2001).]

Old 05-11-2001, 05:32 PM   #23
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

GREAT news, Moni! I'm very pleased for you! (and your husband, of course! )

Go and 'em!

------------------
Smile! Life is too short for bitching!

Fljotsdale

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 05-11-2001).]