Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2003, 10:36 AM   #1
Donut
Jack Burton

There's a programme on the BBC called Question Time. In it five well known people of various political persuasions sit round a table and answer questions from an invited auduence.

Last night's guests included Geoff Hoon, the Defence Secretary, Benazir Bhutto the formen Prime Minister of Pakistan (and still a stunner) and James Rubin the former State Department spokesman.

Now I've always had a lot of time for James, very fair minded and talks a lot of sense. Last night he was taking a bit of a hammering from the Mulsim elements in the audience about US actions and policies in the Middle East, uneven treatment of the Palestinians/Israelis etc when he cut them dead in their tracks.

In response to their questions he asked: "what about US actions in Kosovo where we took military action to protect Muslims at great cost and risk to ourselves."

There was no obvious interest for the US in Kosovo, save from the fact that trade is easier in a time of peace, and that hordes of refugees washing through Europe would put a strain on our economies. There was no oil, no links to international terrorism. The world took action, led by the US, to effect a regime change and stop the ethnic cleansing there.

I found myself cheering old James through an alcohol induced haze. The US and the rest of the world did a good thing in Kosovo and it needed to be said.

The next questioner was an Iraqi living in London who thanked James (and the rest of the coalition) for freeing his country. That's 2-0 James!!

What a shame you don't get the BBC in the US.
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:43 AM   #2
Davros
Takhisis Follower

If he scores that quickly and often the I bet Manx U will offer him a big fat contract. They should be flush with funds once they sell "Bex"
Old 04-25-2003, 10:44 AM   #3
Mordenheim
Elminster

Honestly Donut where do you get that idea? Many cable services provide the BBC. I have the BBC as well as British sports, British cooking and British shopping. Any person alive in America can buy a sattelite and get not only the BBC but french reporting, italian , and many other's if their cable provider does not have it.

Statement's like that really make me question if you know what you are talking about. The BBC IS in America for anyone who want's it.

Mordenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 10:50 AM   #4
Davros
Takhisis Follower

LOL - so you "choose" to watch FOX then [img]smile.gif[/img] - right - so very right
Old 04-25-2003, 10:52 AM   #5
Mordenheim
Elminster

Why because I don't agree with you I am right? Typical black/white thinking [img]smile.gif[/img]

I have about 6 full time new's services including the BBC. Heck, I even watch rugby now and then
Old 04-25-2003, 10:55 AM   #6
Masklinn

Quote:
Heck, I even watch rugby now and then.
Not enough it is !
Watch european soccer you must. Then, talk we will, young padawan.
Old 04-25-2003, 11:00 AM   #7
Davros
Takhisis Follower

You no looky for the subtitle my friend - I so much prefer shades of grey
Old 04-25-2003, 11:09 AM   #8
Mordenheim
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by Masklinn:
quote:
Heck, I even watch rugby now and then.
Not enough it is !
Watch european soccer you must. Then, talk we will, young padawan.
[/QUOTE]Is that a threat? [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2003, 11:12 AM   #9
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Mordenheim:
Honestly Donut where do you get that idea? Many cable services provide the BBC. I have the BBC as well as British sports, British cooking and British shopping. Any person alive in America can buy a sattelite and get not only the BBC but french reporting, italian , and many other's if their cable provider does not have it.

Statement's like that really make me question if you know what you are talking about. The BBC IS in America for anyone who want's it.

No need to question Mordenheim. I've been to America and seen BBC there on PBS [img]smile.gif[/img]

What you get is an Americanised version of the real thing. It's called "BBC America"

Here's tonight's line up for you:

7:00 pm ET Ground Force
7:30 pm ET Changing Rooms
8:00 pm ET Coupling
8:40 pm ET Absolutely Fabulous
9:00 pm ET Absolutely Fabulous
9:40 pm ET Coupling
10:20 pm ET Absolutely Fabulous

You don't get Question Time though. That would be Absolutely Fabulous.

A serious question for anyone who does watch BBC America. Do you have subtitle for Eastenders or is it dubbed?

You get Bargain Hunt! Love it. You get Graham Norton and Father Ted even though they aren't BBC shows.

Come on. Fess up. Does anyone know someone who watches the Beeb in the US?
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:20 AM   #10
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

I watch BBC world news around 10:00 or so at night.

They still show Absolutely Fagulous? [img]graemlins/1ponder.gif[/img] Love that show, but thought it would have run its course by now.