Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2002, 05:40 AM   #1
Epona
Zartan

Grrrr.... everything working like a dream on my PC until yesterday night, when I entered GPF hell.

Walked away from my desk for 5 minutes, came back to see the dreaded dialogue box. Rebooted and rebooted the damn thing, Windows wouldn't even start - every time it tried to start up I got another GPF.

Thought I'd sorted it, this morning all was fine until I opened IE, then yep - GPF. Been doing it to me all morning [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

So who wants to join me in a Gates asskicking campaign? A Windoze hate brigade? [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

Anyone know how to stop the dreaded GPFs and BSODs? (I know, use Linux LOL) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-11-2002, 05:58 AM   #2
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

This sounds so much like how crap my comp is..... except what is a GPf & that otha thing you said..... Ill join in if we are going to riot or sumthin [img]graemlins/biglaugh.gif[/img]

EDIT: I hope you've got those 4 muscles ready for a quick squeeze

[ 05-11-2002, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: Glorfindel ]
Old 05-11-2002, 06:06 AM   #3
Epona
Zartan

Sorry - GPF = General Protection Fault.
Old 05-11-2002, 06:08 AM   #4
Glorfindel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Sorry - GPF = General Protection Fault.
Thanks.... that sort of like the blue screen etc.???
Old 05-11-2002, 06:21 AM   #5
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Anyone know how to stop the dreaded GPFs and BSODs? (I know, use Linux LOL) [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Not really, Mandrake is doing my head in.
Trying to get version 7.1 to work with my Geforce 2 MX is a nightmare of endless resets and corrupted displays and monitors smote with great force by angry fists.
The moral is: scorn Windoze and the evil IBM PC and walk the way of RiscOS and Acorns.

[ 05-11-2002, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Dramnek_Ulk ]

Old 05-11-2002, 06:27 AM   #6
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Dramnek_Ulk:
quote:
Not really, Mandrake is doing my head in.
Trying to get version 7.1 to work with my Geforce 2 MX is a nightmare of endless resets and corrupted displays and monitors smote with great force by angry fists.
The moral is: scorn Windoze and the evil IBM PC and walk the way of RiscOS and Acorns.
[/QUOTE]I hope that theyre not Mac OSs... because MacOS is worse than windows...
Old 05-11-2002, 06:41 AM   #7
Staralfur
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Grrrr.... everything working like a dream on my PC until yesterday night, when I entered GPF hell.

Walked away from my desk for 5 minutes, came back to see the dreaded dialogue box. Rebooted and rebooted the damn thing, Windows wouldn't even start - every time it tried to start up I got another GPF.

Thought I'd sorted it, this morning all was fine until I opened IE, then yep - GPF. Been doing it to me all morning [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

So who wants to join me in a Gates asskicking campaign? A Windoze hate brigade? [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img]

The're not always bad news; I was flicking throught the cable channels last week, and happened to stumble upon the QVC channel. On it was a guy trying to show off his amazing piece of software, 2 minutes into the demonstration a error box comes up, and the default error sound was broadcast for everyone to hear. At this point I was smiling, by the time the third or fourth windows error occured I was in hysterics - he just didn't know what to do.
We\'ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the Complete Works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.\"<br />Robert Wilensky <br /><br />\"Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?\" <br />Screaming Lord Sutch<br /><br />If you choke a smurf, what color does it turn?
Old 05-11-2002, 06:57 AM   #8
Dramnek_Ulk

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
I hope that theyre not Mac OSs... because MacOS is worse than windows... [/QB]
Nah, RiscOS is Different to MacOS,Much easier to use and more stable for a start. Find out more about this wonderful Operating system at:

http://www.riscos.org/

Old 05-11-2002, 07:33 AM   #9
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

I just let my PC talk to me.. my Windows ME, yes ME isn't causing ANY problems... nope I hae had it for a long period of time now.. tried DIablo BG2, NHL, NBA, Res Evil.. everything works like a charm...

Sorry toi hear that Epona.. but there might be something really wrong in your PC...
Old 05-11-2002, 09:43 AM   #10
andrewas
Harper

Nice title.

Eponas GPF problem sounds like something basic in windows has become damaged. Simple answer is to re-install windows over the top of your existin installation, which should replace all the damaged components. If that fails you might need to do a format/re-isntall. Usual warnings about backups and tracking down driver disc.

About getting a Geforce to work under mandrake 7.1 - youll probably need to replace XFree86 with a newer version. *shudders*. Doing that kind of thing under linux can be a pain in the arse, especialy when you also have to replace Kpackage to handle the new RPM files. (Ive tried it). NVidia was being a pain about releasing their drivers at the time mandrake 7.1 was released, I think that mandrak 8.1 includes them straight out the box. It shoudnt be too expensive to order it. I seem to recall the sum of 5 euros being on the site, but that was a long time ago.