Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2003, 12:53 AM   #1
Azslade
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hello people can someone please help me? I've played Baldur Gate 1 and 2 before but it has been a long time since. But I always had these nagging questions that I would like to have answered and I would really appreciate it if someone can answer them. One: The ring of protection +1 vs The Amulet of protection which is better? The description for the ring say it gives a +1 bonus to your saving throw and THACO (I think) but the amulet says it gives you a 1. What does this mean? Two: when you're leveling up it says it is reducing your death saving throw (among others types of throw) by a certain amount....is this a good thing? If you can give me answers to these thing I will be a much happier person.
Azslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 01:03 AM   #2
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
IIRC the ring is better as the necklace to my knowledge does not have a saving throw bonus.
Anything that happens during a level up is usually a good thing. Saving throws like AC are better when they are lower. I had a paladin with negative values in his saving throws before. Almost nothing could touch him. Almost.
Anyway the idea behind saving throws is to roll a 20 sided die or 1d20 and acheive a higher # than your saving throw value. That is at least for 2nd edition ADD rules. Not sure what the rules for 3rd edition are.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:04 AM   #3
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
Anyway the idea behind saving throws is to roll a 20 sided die or 1d20 and acheive a higher # than your saving throw value. That is at least for 2nd edition ADD rules. Not sure what the rules for 3rd edition are.
This holds true for 2nd edition rules. BG1/TotSC, BG2/ToB, and IWD/HoW/TotLM all work off 2nd edition rules. IWD2 works off 3rd.

The lower your saving throws, the fewer things affect your character. So push those saving throws as low as they can go--same with your Armor Class!

While you're at it, you might want to check out this site. It's not a walkthrough--the author has finally beaten that into our heads. Instead, it's more like a Beginner's Guide to the Baldur's Gate Series and D&D Rules System. (But Volothamp's Comeuppance sounds much better, ne? ) If you have a question on how anything in BG2 works, rule-wise, that's a good place to start.

Also check out Dundee's FAQ sticky thread at the top of the BG2 forum page. A lot of newbie questions can be answered with a little bit of research.

BTW, WELCOME TO IRONWORKS! [img]graemlins/thewave.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2003, 02:25 AM   #4
Faceman
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Firestormalpha:
IIRC the ring is better as the necklace to my knowledge does not have a saving throw bonus.
Ring, Amulet and Cloak of Protection +X are all the same thing. They decrease your AC and all your saving throws by X. Some rules on how to handle them:
+ you cannot equip two of them at the same time (e.g. RoP +1 and CoP +1) so you want to go for the most powerful and equip that one.
+ you cannot equip them when/if wearing magical armor (this applies to anything which fits into the armor slot and was "blue" before identifying as well as items you have magically forged during the game)
+ you can wear them along with other items who give you the same or similar bonuses so if you want to keep your saving throws low you should equip your strongest item "of Protection" along with a nice helmet, shield, belt or whatever does the trick.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:18 AM   #5
Azslade
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Thank you all for your answers they have helped me to understand a little more about the world of Baldur's Gate. But most especially thank you Perengle for the website link you provided. It has given a wealth of answers to question I have always wanted to ask but didn't know how. But also it has given me links to other websites...Like BaldurDash which I had heard mentioned but didn't know how to find. Once again thank you all for your quick response and thank you Perengle.

[ 09-24-2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: Azslade ]
Azslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 12:09 PM   #6
Necro Nemesis
Elite Waterdeep Guard

what the heck does IIRC mean???
Old 09-25-2003, 12:11 PM   #7
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by Necro Nemesis:
If I recall right. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Check the Forum FAQ
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 12:16 PM   #8
BaRoN NiGhT

Quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
quote:
Check the Forum FAQ
[/QUOTE]I think its: 'If I Recall Correctly', Xen .
BaRoN NiGhT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 12:20 PM   #9
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Quote:
Originally posted by BaRoN NiGhT:
quote:
Originally posted by Xen:
quote:
Check the Forum FAQ
[/QUOTE]I think its: 'If I Recall Correctly', Xen .
[/QUOTE]Well if you want to be picky it is also:
"If I remeber right" [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 12:39 PM   #10
BaRoN NiGhT

That would be: IIRR [img]tongue.gif[/img] !
BaRoN NiGhT is offline   Reply With Quote