Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2002, 08:37 PM   #1
Leonis
Symbol of Cyric

Didn't want to clutter the ninepins thread with this worthy Off Topic, so here it is:
Quote:
The Hunter of Jahanna said:
I dont buy that whole human collective idea. What goes on in China or Australia has no effect on how people in other countries live unless they are dependant on that countrie. Look at the collapse of the Soviet Union. The only countries to realy get a raw deal were the countries who depended on Moscow for their way of life.The rest of the world was hardly troubled at all. It is also a good example of being carefull what you wish for. The people wanted an end to communism , now that they have it they live even worse than they did before.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I dont promote inequality , just personal responsibility. It is no ones fault but my own if my life sucks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The answer to both questions is YES , Dram. THe weak will always bow to the strong because it is all they can do. If someone or something is too weak to defend itself then it must naturaly fall prey to the stronger. You dont see the deer eating the tiger in nature, do you? The world is the same way the stronger countries will ALWAYS victimise the weaker ones. Look at the British empire, the Roman empire, even the Nazi empire. This pattern has repeated itself countless times and will probably continue till the end of times.

As far as being a jew in Nazi Germany , if I was there it would be my fault for not riseing up against my oppressors. It would be my fault for staying and not leaving the countrie if I thought fighting was hopeless. It would be my fault for not being more politicaly active once I knew how Hitlet thought. I am not a victim and I refuse to think like one.
I'm in part agreement, part disagreement here; in my own life, which is privileged compared to many, I try and do this. I've been born in a free country, to a good home, sound body, intelligence etc... If my life sux, there's a lot I can do about. But...

A scenario:
A kid grows up in, say, Afghanistan. Most of us know some of the history there and what he's going to experience - he's born to a poor family, lowest class.
At first he knows no other life, but as he gets older and starts to think for himself he realises there is more to it.

Tired of always being sick, hungry and in fear of life (apart from the sick and hungry part) due to constant warfare; and fired up by 'not being a victim' sentiment that had been passed through aid workers, he decides to change his life...

Australia looks good. It's talked about as some sort of paradise. He'll go there. He has not heard of 'immigration', there are no legal avenues even if he had. Just getting through his own country is hell on earth. Getting to Australia even harder. But he finally makes it, having lost family and friends along the way. He has done it, his new life awaits and it's his doing, his 'fault'.

He gets picked up by the Aussie coast gaurd, slapped into a desert in a tin shed with bars and razor wire around it. Lives in 'detention' (gaol) for 2 years, then gets deported because "it's safe to go back now"
Safe to go back to a country in turmoil, with nothing but the clothes you are wearing...

His fault? We shouldn't help?
What do you think?

(I don't want this to become a debate about Australia's immigration policy though - just a close to home example)

[ 07-01-2002, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Leonis ]
Old 07-01-2002, 11:00 PM   #2
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

hmm interesting political views. say if you dont mind while im replying may i fix your sig?

it's a tad on the large side, past the legal limit infact...