Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2001, 01:26 PM   #11
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

Try this link for Zonealarm if you're interested:

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...st-7-1.5789031

It is freeware for personal use only...

Gotta love the freebies!!!

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 06-15-2001, 01:26 PM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
And is this Black Ice thing a US-only thing?

I don't think so, Memnoch...you should be able to find it at one of your local computer shops. If not, check online at C|Net or at http://www.networkice.com/products/b..._defender.html

Hope this helps!

Old 06-15-2001, 01:29 PM   #13
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Mems,

One url source for Black Ice. My first version was purchased online. My current one is store-bought at CompUSA. Not expensive either, around $30-40 US

http://www.networkice.com/downloads/..._defender.html

zdnet info on security and hackers: http://www.zdnet.com/products/storie...338120,00.html

zonealarm: http://www.zonelabs.com/

Cloudy

PS, Saz was too fast for me! LOL

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 06-15-2001).]
Old 06-15-2001, 01:29 PM   #14
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Teehee, I have the same firewall as Sazarac the Wise...

Actually, Black Ice was recommended to me by a computer engineer pal at IBM who does work at home on a network of pcs (does what you do, Saz, uses a proxy server for firewalling). He 'tested' my pc to try and hack into it from outside and declared the BI was doing an adequate job of protecting my system. I DO have a static IP so I worry, especially since Road Runner is a major hacker hunting ground.

Cloudy

Well, I've heard great things about BlackIce Defender, and it's served me proud. Apparently Verizon DSL is "happy hunting ground" as well, as I get roughly about 5 attacks a day, and at least 1 serious attack (like a SubSeven probe) about every 2 weeks.

Sorry for my delays in posting...I keep getting interrupted with silly problems. Teaching would be such a breeze if it weren't for these gatdanged students...

(that's supposed to be a joke, guys!)

Old 06-15-2001, 01:33 PM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:

Well, I've heard great things about BlackIce Defender, and it's served me proud. Apparently Verizon DSL is "happy hunting ground" as well, as I get roughly about 5 attacks a day, and at least 1 serious attack (like a SubSeven probe) about every 2 weeks.

Sorry for my delays in posting...I keep getting interrupted with silly problems. Teaching would be such a breeze if it weren't for these gatdanged students...

(that's supposed to be a joke, guys!)

I have same thing, Saz. Lots of low to mid level attacks, supposedly generic, not targeted specifically on my pc, but at least one or more times a day,there's something more serious. Not that I fully understand,mind you ,but the Black Ice explanations (AdvICE) are helpful. SubSeven port scans show up almost daily in my log!

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
Old 06-15-2001, 01:34 PM   #16
DawnChaser
Zhentarim Guard

I am not sure about the outside the US issues with BlackIce Defender (I use it also, and recommend it), but here are the sites for both:

Zone Alarm - Free for personal use

Blackice Defender - $39.99, if I remember correctly

Discussion of Blackice Defender

"Stop hackers in their tracks... oh, wait, that was a bug spray commercial... nevermind."

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 01:41 PM   #17
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

$39.99 is the same price I paid, DawnChaser. Sounds like BlackIce is a popular firewall for home use.

I'm not sure what that would translate to for Australian currency...if Memnoch orders it online, would it matter?

Also: I think most computer/software dealers are willing to special order a product for you, if you don't want to risk an online transaction.

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 06-15-2001).]
Old 06-15-2001, 01:44 PM   #18
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Congratulations, Memnoch !

Being just a week removed from moving up from a month on a 14.4 Modem to DSL (768 down/128 up), I think I can really understand your enthusiasm.

But, unfortunately, I have to second Cb on one thing: DSL seems everywhere wondefully fast but here ! But, well, it is still some improvement even here.
Btw, do you have to pay for your DSL hardware components ? German Telecom provides me with everything but the Ethernet network card for free (DSL modem and splitter) ? And how much are paying for it ?

------------------
So long !

R³ - new, much improved signature under construction !

Old 06-15-2001, 01:45 PM   #19
Moni

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Tuesday, 26th of June is the day that I finally throw off the fetters of my puny 56k modem and join the swelling ranks of the Web Chosen by getting an ADSL connection - 512k/128k. Goodbye to waiting 2 minutes for azure's sig to load.

I am SO jealous!!!
We still have to wait a year...maybe two!
Derned country livin'!

I don't know about Black Ice Defender on Cable since I used it with a modem and had problems.

FYI...hackers CAN AND DO get through ZoneAlarm AND Lockdown!

I tried out NeoWatch and HackTrace...good programs that we'll probably pay to continue using once the trial versions expire.
http://www.neoworx.com/products/neowatch/

Do try different versions of firewalls to see how they interact with your system before going out and paying good money for them.

Here is a review on Black Ice Defender...it looks like it may be your best bet.

http://www.the-internet-eye.com/reviews/Nov99/BlackIce/

Saz is right about McAfee and Norton...don't even try them out unless you are into sabatoging your system!

Moni

------------------

[This message has been edited by Moni (edited 06-15-2001).]

Old 06-15-2001, 01:46 PM   #20
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
$39.99 is the same price I paid, DawnChaser. Sounds like BlackIce is a popular firewall for home use.

I'm not sure what that would translate to for Australian currency...if Memnoch orders it online, would it matter?

Also: I think most computer/software dealers are willing to special order a product for you, if you don't want to risk an online transaction.

[This message has been edited by Sazerac (edited 06-15-2001).]
I think I did my online purchase through a secondary distributor that Black Ice sent me to, but they appear to have changed things since then. At the time, (about 2 yrs ago) you couldn't even FIND Black Ice in stores. Now my local stores stock it right along with all the Norton and McAffee programs.

As I recall, ordering online meant giving credit card info and receiving a confirmation number to activate the program.

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 06-15-2001).]