Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2001, 01:05 PM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Tuesday, 26th of June is the day that I finally throw off the fetters of my puny 56k modem and join the swelling ranks of the Web Chosen by getting an ADSL connection - 512k/128k. Goodbye to waiting 2 minutes for azure's sig to load.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 01:10 PM   #2
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Congrats, Mems! Welcome to the HIGH SPEED world, you are now computing in the fast lane! Or will be soon, LOL! BTW, those pages don't ALWAYS load quickly even with the faster connections...

Cloudy

------------------
Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 06-15-2001, 01:12 PM   #3
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

WELCOME!

Ahhh...that must mean that you got your troubles with the ethernet/DSL modem/whatever figured out??? IIRC, you had an earlier post looking for help on something relating to DSL.

Can I give you one piece of advice though...??? (Although I'm sure that you've already covered this base long ago...)

At risk of Moridin referring to me as a paranoid freak again , I'd strongly suggest that you invest in some sort of firewall solution before your "always-on" DSL gets installed. Some like software and some like hardware...but it might be a good idea to forestall any potential issues.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 06-15-2001, 01:14 PM   #4
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Throntar:

At risk of Moridin referring to me as a paranoid freak again , I'd strongly suggest that you invest in some sort of firewall solution before your "always-on" DSL gets installed. Some like software and some like hardware...but it might be a good idea to forestall any potential issues.

You got any recommendations? FYI I don't have a static IP address so that might put off some hacker attacks - I don't have an active site either.

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 01:18 PM   #5
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
You got any recommendations? FYI I don't have a static IP address so that might put off some hacker attacks - I don't have an active site either.

Try zonealarm (free on web, sorry don't have the url, but you should find it easily with a search). It's supposed to be VERY good.

I have Black Ice Defender, Network Ice. Works very well for me,but I have occasional freezups where it needs reloading/repairing...dunno what causes that, but be prepared for SOME little anomalies when using a firewall.

Definitely GET ONE by the time your connection is sped up. I've logged a lot of action against my pc since I got the cable modem...sigh...

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen

[This message has been edited by Cloudbringer (edited 06-15-2001).]
Old 06-15-2001, 01:19 PM   #6
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Congrats Memnoch! Whoohoo! You've been waiting a while for this, mate!

On the firewall: I use BlackIce Defender by Network Ice, and it's the best one I've found out there for a home setting...very intuitive but extremely powerful. Do NOT get Norton or McAfee Firewall...they're trash.

If you're running a network of computers, also get WinProxy and set one of the computers up as a proxy server with the firewall running on it to block intruders. That's the best security mechanism you can do for a home or gaming LAN.

Have fun!

Old 06-15-2001, 01:20 PM   #7
Throntar
Drizzt Do'Urden

It's really not likely that you'll have a problem Memnoch...however...

I know a couple of guys who use DSL via an ISP (with dynamic IPs) that have had some minor pings. You can download a software solution named "Zone Alarm" from any of the download sites (I typically use http://www.download.com). This is a freebie (for personal use) that works pretty well. It records all foreign pings to your local and will record them so that you can backtrack if necessary. Also had pretty good defensive countermeasures. I've also heard good things about a program calld "Black Ice Defender". Don't know squat about hardware solutions, although I understand that they are more reliable.

Bottom line is that one of the software freebies should probably be more than sufficient for your uses.

------------------

Now where did I leave that doughnut?!
Old 06-15-2001, 01:21 PM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

And is this Black Ice thing a US-only thing?

------------------
Old 06-15-2001, 01:22 PM   #9
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

ROFLMAO Cloudy! BlackIce Defender...GMTA!

I've not had ANY trouble with BlackIce, and have caught every hacker that's tried anything (even was able to bust one with it!) ZoneAlarm, I've heard, is fantastic too, if you can find it (I couldn't )

Old 06-15-2001, 01:23 PM   #10
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Teehee, I have the same firewall as Sazarac the Wise...

Actually, Black Ice was recommended to me by a computer engineer pal at IBM who does work at home on a network of pcs (does what you do, Saz, uses a proxy server for firewalling). He 'tested' my pc to try and hack into it from outside and declared the BI was doing an adequate job of protecting my system. I DO have a static IP so I worry, especially since Road Runner is a major hacker hunting ground.

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen