Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2003, 09:08 AM   #11
Lymond
Manshoon

Kroma,

You are correct about the hitpoints. As you get higher in levels, you only gain a few points at a time. In some cases it's just one. I'm sure you can find a table somewhere that can tell you how much, because it varies depending on class and maybe race.

Because the max increase is so small at higher levels to begin with, I enable the "max hp per level" option. It's definitely a form of cheating, but one I'm willing to accept. I think each person has to balance the relative levels of difficulty and fun.

Lymond
Old 09-22-2003, 09:23 AM   #12
NobleNick
Quintesson

kroma,

If you maxed out CON, your Fighter-types should be getting a 2HP bonus every level, up to level 10.

I'm going to have to disagree with Lymond slightly on this one: "Max HP per turn" is a cheat if you are considering whether or not you are playing strictly by D&D 2nd ed. rules; however, it is a built-in feature of the IWD game, and the game customization obviously allows this feature. It sure doesn't seem like cheating to me: It has definitely made the game more enjoyable. And isn't that the point of these games: to enjoy yourself?

I selected the "Max HP per level" option. Unless you are a purist wanting a strictly 2nd ed. D&D rules gaming experience (which is not what I think IWD is about), or have some ego thing about making it harder on yourself than the next guy, then click that "max HP" button.

If, at the end of the game, you feel like a testosterone-challenged wimp, then play again, on Heart of Fury mode (which, I point out, is also not strickly 2nd ed. rules, but will be much harder than 2nd ed., even with "Max HP per level").

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 09-22-2003, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
NobleNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 04:09 PM   #13
Roboghost
Manshoon

Too bad the "Maximum Hit Points" doesn't work on your summoned creatures! Some of those summoned Elementals can shovel loads of baddies when you hit that HP jackpot. Well...I guess my fighters would get bored. Just a thought.
Roboghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 10:37 AM   #14
kroma
Dungeon Master

Thanks guys for your replies...

I am now in a bit of a bad situation though, in that I am having real trouble beating Maiden Ilmadia and her Fire Giants. I have attempted this 3 or 4 times now and was beaten almost instantly each time. I think part of the problem is the actual battle ground, it is made very awkward by those 2 walls.

I dont suppose there is any way of talking her out of her badge is there? I have tried numerous tactics and did get into a pretty long conversation with her so I thought things were going well, but she still insisted on killing me at the end of it

So what are the best tactics to take, I have 2 mages, 2 fighters, a ranger and a cleric. Obviously I am casting my cleric is casting her highest available CHANT type spell, and the whole party are consuming all available potions - but does she have any specific weaknesses or immunities?

I just want this last badge!!!!

[img]graemlins/whome.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2003, 10:53 AM   #15
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Clear out the upper section with the elementals first. Approach that way, but don't actually talk to Madian Ilmadia. You can actually fight the Fire Giants on the east side of the bridge and gradually retreat back to the upper exits as you take down the fire giants with arrows and spells. Use a spells against a fire giant at the door to initiate battle and retreat across the bridge. Use entangle, web, at the bridge when the fire giants start coming across use mass spells. If you position summons or a tough fighter at the bridge you can actually prevent any from getting across. Gradually retreat to the upper exit taking out giants as you go. If you are pinned at a exit then leave, save, heal, and go back again to finish them off.

[ 09-23-2003, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 01:57 PM   #16
kroma
Dungeon Master

Good call pritchke, I hadnt thought about clearing out the giants first due to the fact that they are still Blue/Freindly up until you speak to her... I think Ill give that a go! I cant imagine her being that hard on her own [img]smile.gif[/img]

So I take it there is no way to persuade her to hand over her badge?
Old 09-23-2003, 02:55 PM   #17
NobleNick
Quintesson

Excellent call, pritchke!

kroma, The only thing I would add is which entrance to this map to use (there are 2); because pritchke doesn't make it clear (at least to me). If it were up to me, I'd start at the very top entrance, if you can handle the tough battle you will have there (and I think this is what pritchke meant). Otherwise, if you can't handle the battle that ensues when you pop into the cave at the top entrance, you will need to sweet talk your way past the fire giants at the lower entrance, fight your way up the path (away from Imaldia), using the lower entrance as your escape route, secure the top entrance/exit, then use the now cleared top portion as your escape route for fighting the fire giants congregated around the lower entrance.

Even without help, Imaldia is tough. She drinks a potion of strength and, perhaps, one of speed (I forget), so a good old-fashioned dispel might help.

(Though I did not do this. I engaged her as you have tried, got killed and reloaded. On the second try, I ran up the escape route like a scared rabbit, past the fire giants [which I had not cleared], to the top entrance. I used summons as meat shields to slow the maid down at chokepoints. Made it out with just about everyone badly wounded or worse. I let the Bard heal everyone up, then returned and used hit and run tactics with summons at chokepoints while I pelted her with ranged weapons. I had to leave the cave several times before doing her and her helpers in.)

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 09-23-2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]
Old 09-23-2003, 03:03 PM   #18
kroma
Dungeon Master

Hi NobleNick,

Everything else on the screen is now dead, the only things still alive are the Maiden and her Blue/Freindly Fire Giants...
So the point here now is not so much which of the 2 entrances to the screen I take (seeing as everything Red/Hostile is dead), but which side of the shack she resides in should I attack her from! However, If I can get rid of all of the Fire Giants first - It shouldnt matter which side I attack her from - She should be a whole lot easier on her own! [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2003, 03:08 PM   #19
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Thanks for clearing that up Noble Nik. Either way will work, I usually pop into the cave at the top entrance as my party can usually handle it. But there has been a few times when my party was fairly weak I had to sweet talk my way past the giants to clear out the upper section, this is easier. The bridges in the middle act as a nice chock point for fighting battles in either direction.

Kroma once you attack her fire giants, she will attack you with her maidens. Her fire giants come first however so she gets stuck behind them. If you see her amongst the fire giants take her and her madians out first from a distance.

[ 09-23-2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
pritchke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 03:12 PM   #20
NobleNick
Quintesson

Hi, kroma! It is fun doing this in near real time!

You have the screen in the same state of preparation that I did when my party got killed the first time and maimed the second.

You can do what I did, and take your chances; or try taking out fire giants before the maid, using the upper path as your escape route for those giants huddled around the lower entrance.

Edit: And pritchke slipped in a post before my short reply. This is virtually real time!

What's a party,
without a song?
Bards ROCK!
Party on!!

[ 09-23-2003, 03:14 PM: Message edited by: NobleNick ]